Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I compared our firearms this morning. I've had the Canik for several months and he just bought the 2.0, with a 4" barrel. We didn't shoot them at the range, just compared and dry fired. Both guns are roughly the same size, but the slide on the 2.0 is a bit lower. I guess you can say a lower bore axis. The difference in weight was an ounce or two in favor of the 2.0. The fit and finish of both is excellent period. The Canik has ambi slide releases which are larger and has a loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator on the back. The 2.0 has a witness hole on the top. The Canik grip texture is not as good as the 2.0 in my humble opinion. But, the trigger on the Canik is like a 9 out of 10, and the 2.0 maybe a 6.5-7. The 2.0 trigger is not bad, but has a longer take up, a not as crisp trigger break, and a longer reset that isn't very audible. The Canik trigger is much, much better. Even my buddy agreed. I'm not putting the 2.0 down, its a great firearm. I just like my Canik better for the features, trigger, and what you get for $330. The Canik came with a nice hinged plastic box and an extra back strap. It only came with one magazine though. My buddy paid $540 for his 2.0 new and it came in a card board box with 3 extra back straps and 2 magazines. There ya go, the best I can do on a comparison without firing the guns.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
This is your second post on Canik today. Do you work for them?

Reactions: Melvin

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is your second post on Canik today. Do you work for them?
LMAO.....the Defensive Carry police is in full effect. Its Covid19 and the forum is entertainment for me while am at home and taking a break from work. Anyhow, I didnt post the other thread today. I just responded to a comment. Keep up the good forum law enforcement work. ;)

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
LMAO.....the Defensive Carry police is in full effect. Its Covid19 and the forum is entertainment for me while am at home and taking a break from work. Anyhow, I didnt post the other thread today. I just responded to a comment. Keep up the good forum law enforcement work. ;)
Just curious, that's all. I have no authority here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Honestly, M&P 2.0 all day over the Canik for me. The Canik has a better trigger out of the box but the M&P doesn't have the reliability issues the Canik does.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmm...... reliability issues? Please explain. The gun was designed to shoot hotter NATO rounds, but that issue was fixed with a new guiderod. That’s the only problem I ever heard of. 400 rds straight from the box and not a single issue with my Elite. The Canik is used by the Turkish military and law enforcement. Shrugs

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have been a true fan of the M&P family of firearms since they were introduced 14 years ago, and I have owned more than a dozen over the years. My current EDC is the M&P40 m2.0 Compact and would not give it up for anything.

Having said all of that, I have been recommending the Canik TP series to anybody who asks what to buy. My recommendation of the Canik comes from personal experience with the firearm from friends who have them, knowing that the Canik is just a copy a proven Walther design, the endless great reviews online and of course the super low cost. If I was not already so invested in the M&P series, I would already own a few Caniks.

Just one of the great reviews on the Canik TP9SF:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmmmmm...... reliability issues? Please explain. The gun was designed to shoot hotter NATO rounds, but that issue was fixed with a new guiderod. That’s the only problem I ever heard of. 400 rds straight from the box and not a single issue with my Elite. The Canik is used by the Turkish military and law enforcement. Shrugs
Even after changing the recoil spring, there were still some issues especially in colder weather or slightly underpowered ammo. Even with higher quality ammunition and defensive loads like critical defense, there were reliability issues.

Now if you are saying that the guiderod actually fixed the issue on the new guns then I stand corrected but I'm a little leary when it comes to the Canik.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even after changing the recoil spring, there were still some issues especially in colder weather or slightly underpowered ammo. Even with higher quality ammunition and defensive loads like critical defense, there were reliability issues.

Now if you are saying that the guiderod actually fixed the issue on the new guns then I stand corrected but I'm a little leary when it comes to the Canik.
Thanks for the honesty and the comments. But, yes the older model Caniks had a guiderod that didnt like ammo under 124gr. The newer Canik firearms have a lower spring rate guiderod which can fire 115gr ammo with no issues. Problem solved.

By the way I do like the M&P 2.0 handguns. Came very, very close to buying one.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The video says a lot about the durability of the Canik TP9 handguns. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just watched a YouTube video that came out March 3 this year, where his Canik TP9SF kept jamming while shooting out in the snow. Goes back to my initial concerns about reliability issues in colder weather.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just watched a YouTube video that came out March 3 this year, where his Canik TP9SF kept jamming while shooting out in the snow. Goes back to my initial concerns about reliability issues in colder weather.
Maybe, but I doubt the cold affected the gun. Could have been the ammo. I live in Texas anyhow. Snow?....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts