Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the famous safety issues (i.e. the personal comfort of having a barrel point at your femoral artery when you sit), I cannot figure out how people can mechanically carry AIWB comfortably. I generally carry a 9mm Shield, and I have a fair number of holsters, and AIWB is not comfortable in ANY of them at 1230, 1 or 2 o clock. Even with the Shield's rather short barrel I still feel that I get poked in the thigh every time I try to sit. Also, unless I use a holster with a tall backer, such as my Blackarch one (which is probably too large for AIWB), the rear sights want to make my belly bleed. This happens with both the Trijicon HDs and the TruGlo TFX. I recognize the obvious benefits of concealability and control, but I cannot seem to make it comfortable for anything other than walking around. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
472 Posts
It depends on body type and the holster selection that fits. I have had good luck with Wild Bill's and Stealth Gear and even Remora, all for different reasons (I did have to make some custom adjustments) and I hear good things about JM custom. Small guns are of course better. But the truth is 4 O'clock IWB is more comfortable and yes you can sit more easily. There is a bit of discomfort with AIWB carry, to say that is not true is inaccurate, in my opinion, and I carry AIWB every day, but the control and conceal-ability is worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dedicated AIWB holster for starters that covers front and rear sights. I give mine about a 10 degree cant to help hide the pistol grip of my G23. My holster is all kydex and very fitted so it's virtually the same as putting the gun there without a holster. The less excess material the better.

It was NOT very comfortable for me to sit when I first started carrying this way. But after a week or two my body got used to a gun sitting there and I've been fine since. When I sit down I usually pull my pants up just a bit so the gun comes up to rest against my stomach instead of trying to dig into it, this also helps get the barrel further from your thigh.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
So I am the opposite I have no idea how people can drive at 3-4:00 while carrying. I carry a FULL SIZE Glock G17. I carry from the time I awake till I go to bed. I have a G19 ( Goes to range but doesn't get carried often). And a G26 that I carry about 5-6% of the time in a 3Speed Holster (Note I can carry the G19 in the 3Speed Holster, but don't shoot it as well as the G17 or the G26). The G17 I have in a Appalachian Concealment "Gladius" (See matthew03).
It is an AIWB Specific Holster I am 5'6" @ 250# (Turkey day may put me closer to 260#)

G17 Seated (a).jpg G17 Seated (Note I shifted from 1:00 to more 12:00)
Bigfoot G17 -b.jpg
G17 05-13-2016a.jpg
G17 05-13-2016b.jpg

I will definitely agree there is a risk with a striker fire in AIWB, and there are a few Video Bloggers that prefer AIWB , but have switched to a DA/SA. I understand the safety factor. But as comfort goes I have NO issues. In fact I can easily draw seated while seat belted in my vehicle. I have a feeling my GIRTH might be an advantage. Try next time you AIWB shift it so the muzzle is more center lined (over the boys, or as close to 12:00 as you can). I would also suggest a stiffer belt and a AIWB specific Holster. Other than that maybe EATING MORE PASTA will help

G17 Me.jpg (Crappy photo but just shot it)

Reactions: drift and consitter

·
Registered
25 Posts
To the OP--don't feel too bad....I can't wear AIWB if my life depends on it, even with the new Bull Pup pistols coming out. I wear my pants below my rather large gut, so it leaves no room for a gun to fit in that area for me. If I could wear my pants like Kenny, it would be possible. But I don't have a butt to hold my pants up wearing them around my actual waist. So I have to carry at at least 3-4 o'clock.

And NO, I'm not saying Kenny has a big butt. :embarassed:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
You do need an Appendix style holster. But have you tried 11:30-10 ? We call that crossdraw or for us righties SIWB (Spleen IWB). Works for me.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Commander 4.25'' length 1911 appendix IWB, muzzle between leg and valuables.
Concealing1.jpg

Reactions: drift and Kennydale

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I guess it all depends on the individual. I carry AIWB but, the only gun that I carry that way is a 2" snubby because the round shape and short barrel make it very easy and fast to draw as well. I cannot carry a 3" revolver that way as it pokes my leg when seated and forget about a square gun, I would have the same issues as you do.

·
Registered
475 Posts
May be so much propaganda on safety but it has worked for me--so no appendix carry here.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I carry a compact 3.5" using a modified CBST. I keep a slight cant and find out when I sit down and bend, the muzzle actually points slightly outward in front of my hip bone.

AIWB may not be for everyone and that's ok. But, don't be the type of person that will come and trash those who choose AIWB about their choice.

To be clear-
I'm not accusing anybody. But, it is something I have too often observed when it comes to discussions about AIWB or disussions concerning OC/CC.

-

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
My Snubs work AIWB for me. I tip the barrel up a bit and lay the grip on my belt. The gun is on a angle in my waist line. Plenty of "padding" there to hold the gun. My holster is also high enough on the back side to keep hammer or sights from biting my "padding".

·
Registered
606 Posts
Appendix carry isn't for everyone. Some people can't do it because of body type. Have you tried a holster that uses a foam wedge and the end of the barrel. It's a game changer in comfort and concealing. I cannot conceal a g19 in a t shirt without one.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It is a mechanics problem for me too. Maybe if I was little longer in the waist. I'm a 0300 guy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Snubs work AIWB for me. I tip the barrel up a bit and lay the grip on my belt. The gun is on a angle in my waist line.
This for me too - I use the shrouded hammer humpbacks (638/649). On Semi's, the grips ride higher and the back of the slides stick up, together becoming rib jabbers, and I just don't like the idea of spring-loaded strikers/hammers behind a chambered primer point down there 24/7 (although 4 o'clock is ok).

·
Registered
188 Posts
My Kahr CW9 in a Cry Havoc Grim w/RCS Overhook:

IMG_20160817_230954028.jpg

I've had no discomfort and rarely need to adjust it. Wearing it the entire time I've been remodeling my house has really helped it become a natural part of my daily attire.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
When I first started to carry, I couldn't carry there either. I liked the idea, but the discomfort ... I carried 4 to 5 for a long time never to try again.

Then all of a sudden, I noted I preferred 3pm. It didn't take long before I gave appendix a try again. All of a sudden, no problem.

I still carry anywhere from 3 to 5 depending on my belt loops, but when I stopped trying it became easy - odd.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I pocket carry an SP101 every day. When I'm wearing a cover garment, I slip its twin into a homemade AIWB holster. It combines a forward barrel angle and a sweat shield to increase comfort. Added to the SP101's snub barrel and utterly snag free sights, this makes AIWB comfortable, concealable and fast.

As I am very, VERY leery of inadvertent discharge due to breakage or failure of a sear, safety, or other internal component, I will only carry a true DA (hammer at full rest against frame or hammer block) in the AIWB position. No modern, striker-fired pistol need apply.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
So I am the opposite I have no idea how people can drive at 3-4:00 while carrying. I carry a FULL SIZE Glock G17. I carry from the time I awake till I go to bed. I have a G19 ( Goes to range but doesn't get carried often). And a G26 that I carry about 5-6% of the time in a 3Speed Holster (Note I can carry the G19 in the 3Speed Holster, but don't shoot it as well as the G17 or the G26). The G17 I have in a Appalachian Concealment "Gladius" (See matthew03).
It is an AIWB Specific Holster I am 5'6" @ 250# (Turkey day may put me closer to 260#)

View attachment 163170 G17 Seated (Note I shifted from 1:00 to more 12:00)
View attachment 163178
View attachment 163186
View attachment 163194

I will definitely agree there is a risk with a striker fire in AIWB, and there are a few Video Bloggers that prefer AIWB , but have switched to a DA/SA. I understand the safety factor. But as comfort goes I have NO issues. In fact I can easily draw seated while seat belted in my vehicle. I have a feeling my GIRTH might be an advantage. Try next time you AIWB shift it so the muzzle is more center lined (over the boys, or as close to 12:00 as you can). I would also suggest a stiffer belt and a AIWB specific Holster. Other than that maybe EATING MORE PASTA will help

View attachment 163202 (Crappy photo but just shot it)
My eyes !! My eyes!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts