Defensive Carry banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You can get an AR in 5.56 and an additional upper in 6.8SPC (or something really unusual like .50 Beowulf) for around the same price as an M1A. The 6.8 has better ballistics than the 7.62x51 in many circumstances, and the AR will in almost any configuration be shorter, lighter, more modular, and cheaper to run than the M1A.
All said right there; Unless you just have to have an M-14, I would just stick with the AR platform; there is nothing you can't do with one as far as caliber selection, and ARs in calibers like 6.5 Grendel are driving the M-1As off the line at Camp Perry, so accuracy is not a reason either.

Go with the AR, you can change top ends in 5 minutes and change the gun from a fighter to a tack driver......

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Monetarily speaking, if you intend on maintaining the AR in it's stock, factory condition, go with it. Once you start adding optics, aftermarket parts, accessories and endless cool factor gadgets, it'll end up costing you three (3) times the price of a decent M14.

At that juncture, the [inexpensive] cost of 5.56 ammo vs. 7.62, will be a moot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Monetarily speaking, if you intend on maintaining the AR in it's stock, factory condition, go with it. Once you start adding optics, aftermarket parts, accessories and endless cool factor gadgets, it'll end up costing you three (3) times the price of a decent M14.

At that juncture, the [inexpensive] cost of 5.56 ammo vs. 7.62, will be a moot.
..and the money spent on optics and lights will leave you with a more capable weapon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"ooh ooh look at mine ive got a foregrip and a flashlight and 6 rails and a green lazer and a red dot and a scope and and and..."

I find most of the things people attach to thier AR's stupid. Its like those hondas you see driving around with the mismatched parts that dont do anything but "look cool". people will complain about an m14's weight but dont think twice to add 6 or 7lbs of random things to the end of thier AR's.

Honday TAP basically explodes inside of a person. Much better fragmentation than 5.56. Probably because of the much higher energies and larger weight bullet. Some Military FMJ will fragment like crazy as well (not USA made).

The 7.62nato can do pretty much everything 5.56 can do but better. The problem is are you willing to pay for it?

If you plan on getting one gun and one gun only, the m1a scout or ar-10 can do everything from plinking/cqc to long range hunting. If you just want to run around your backyard like a madman punching holes in things, get the 5.56. Its so plentiful and cheap.

Both are reliable, the m1a has much less aftermarket, but how much aftermarket stuff do you really need?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I chose the AR. When taking all things into consideration, the versatility and availability of parts and accessories for the AR made the choice easy.

Along with it being my SD, SHTF rifle, I did want something I could run around the yard and shoot holes in stuff without going broke doing it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
"ooh ooh look at mine ive got a foregrip and a flashlight and 6 rails and a green lazer and a red dot and a scope and and and..."

I find most of the things people attach to thier AR's stupid. Its like those hondas you see driving around with the mismatched parts that dont do anything but "look cool". people will complain about an m14's weight but dont think twice to add 6 or 7lbs of random things to the end of thier AR's.

Honday TAP basically explodes inside of a person. Much better fragmentation than 5.56. Probably because of the much higher energies and larger weight bullet. Some Military FMJ will fragment like crazy as well (not USA made).

The 7.62nato can do pretty much everything 5.56 can do but better. The problem is are you willing to pay for it?

If you plan on getting one gun and one gun only, the m1a scout or ar-10 can do everything from plinking/cqc to long range hunting. If you just want to run around your backyard like a madman punching holes in things, get the 5.56. Its so plentiful and cheap.

Both are reliable, the m1a has much less aftermarket, but how much aftermarket stuff do you really need?
An optic is stupid? A light to ID your target is stupid? A VFG that enhances control of the weapon is stupid?

·
Registered
38,981 Posts
Both high capacity, high rate of fire. But . . . ever see a sniper's rifle in .223?

Get the M14.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Both high capacity, high rate of fire. But . . . ever see a sniper's rifle in .223?

Get the M14.
Yep. I know several PDs that have transitioned to .223 due to the effectiveness in their typical range of use, plus what I consider an unreasonable fear of overpenetration.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I have a M1a scout and a full size M1a I also have a noveske sbr and a precession AR. I love them all but find myself generally grabbing the 5.56 over the. 308

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Rob99VMI04: I have a M1a scout and a full size M1a.

Since you don't use them much-want to sell one??:image035::image035: If you do, PM me............

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Well glad this all helped make your decision. This topic has come up several times on many different forums. I think you made the right decision for yourself the M-14/M1A rifles are from a different time in life when wood and steel made the gun. They are heavy, can be an absolute pain to mount optics on, mags can be expensive, ammo is expensive and they, in my opinion, are not good beginner guns to start out with. I am fortunate to have live in a state where obtaining battle rifles has be fairly easy over the years. I have my M1A, G-3, FN/FAL L1A1, Yugo underfolder and a couple of others that escape me at the moment. For my .223 I chose a Sig 556 for something new and different.
The choice is all in what you are gonna use it for, your budget and your skill level. Hope you have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Personally, I just don't think you'll be happy until you have both!

So really it's a question of which one do you get first!

They both have applications unique to that platform and getting one of them won't lessen your desire for the other.

Simply to help you narrow the choice on which to get first...

If you live in an urban or metropolitan area, go for the AR-15 first. If you live in a rural area, go for the M1A .30 caliber first.

When it comes to military type rifles, I have a Colt AR-15 Govt. Carbine, an FN/FAL L1A1, Russian SKS, FN-98 .30-06 and now I'm really Jonesin' for the Springfield M1A Scout/Squad

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to decide between purchasing an AR-15 or a Springfield M14. I know the latter is much more $$ than the AR, but that's not an issue. Just curious as to everones opinion on defensive tactics with these rifles, ballistics, cost to shoot, etc. Thanks in advance.
I former military (80s) and have only shot the M1 and M14. Both great guns, both very accurate. I put 30 rounds on a silhouette at 100 yards with the M14. The AR15 is obviously a great rifle, as they wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't. Considerations (for me) are cost of ammo, cost of weapon and weight of ammo/weapon. Using this formula, it's a no brainer that the AR15 wins on all fronts. The M1 or M14 would be more for a collector or for nostalgia sake.

·
Registered
14,200 Posts
Go with the M1A first. It's better round. Great rifle.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
633 Posts
Maybe 10 years ago when this thread started it was easy to buy either one but not now.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,140 Posts
I former military (80s) and have only shot the M1 and M14. Both great guns, both very accurate. I put 30 rounds on a silhouette at 100 yards with the M14. The AR15 is obviously a great rifle, as they wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't. Considerations (for me) are cost of ammo, cost of weapon and weight of ammo/weapon. Using this formula, it's a no brainer that the AR15 wins on all fronts. The M1 or M14 would be more for a collector or for nostalgia sake.
Welcome aboard. The Recommended Reading section does not select by date and gets people often replying to old threads. The OP has not been on this site since 2010. Back then, I would have said get both.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott
41 - 59 of 59 Posts