Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get one or the other soon as I have the money now, but cant make up my mind:dunno:. I have it narrowed down to the blued Ruger GP 100 6" barrel or the S&W 586 that is also a blued 6". They are both great guns in my opinion and will serve the purpose of a target/range gun and possibly whitetail hunting every now and again with no real differences. They weigh approximately the same, I think the Ruger is slightly heaver but by such a small amount I don't even care. The Ruger looks to be cheaper than the S&W on most online retailers. One week I'm all about the Smith and then I'm all about the Ruger the next. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ruger since its cheaper and in my opinion just as good as the Smith. One day I'm sure I will have both but for now to just choose one is like deciding which of your own kids you like best lol. Not really looking for "what would you do" just venting lol as I'm sure most of you have been in this situation more than once. Well when I do figure it out I will let you all know. Have a great and safe Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Well, you have 2 fine choices. Don't think you will be disappointed if you choose the Ruger.
Use the savings for ammo or towards a nice OWB holster.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Both fine guns ..Have fired both ...Personal call

Me if said s&w had MIM parts and a internal lock then Ruger over it

I have some pre lock 686 and they are might fine guns and good shooters to boot

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
IT probably does not matter if the buy a ruger or a s&w just stay with the limits of the cartridge . I used a 357 for 20plus years for mostly hogs when we lived in south florida and shots were at shorter ranges , under 50 yards !! . I took a couple deer with fast 170gr sp load but preferred a 44mag for deer as range can be longer and it simply a better choicefor dropping deer quickly . 45 colt would be a great option too . I used 2moa dot optics on both revolvers .

Good luck with your choices . Handgun hunting is a great way to add to a hunting season and a natural for a bow hunter as distances tend to be about the same for the 357mag . Double action trigger is a nice option when a deer walks under your stand . Cocking a hammer may not be a wise choice at that kind of distance . Click, Click and deer be gone !!

I'm a Dan Wesson revolver guy all from the mid to late '70's .

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I suggest you toss a coin for your answer; heads it's S&W and tails it's Ruger. It's a win-win proposition.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Buy both then you don't have to decide.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have a 4" 686 and a 4" GP100! I'd be hard pressed if I had had to chose one over the other !!! Both are awesome revolvers. Good luck with your choice !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You didn't ask me...but, I prefer the Smith...although, either will serve you very well.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Both are good choices but you will never be able to wear out the GP-100 even with very hot loads!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts