Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may belong in B&T's down there but i figured it was relevant enough for this section.
So how long are you supposed to just sit there? Until they start climbing on your rig? tear a hood mirror etc off?
break the window?
Or are they just gonna realize all of a sudden you have work to do and let you go on your way? :blink: :hand1:
"He didn't hit anyone but there were a couple of close calls"
YEA ,like where self preservation instinct overcame their idiocy.

Truck Driver Arrested For Driving Into Group Of Protestors

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no sympathy for SCABs who cross picket lines, or as this case, attempt to cross picket lines.
I don't know all the details here really but a trucker driving for a company doesn't often have the option of refusing to go somewhere EVEN IF HE DID somehow know about the striking workers.
I could see having some contempt if this WERE a person trying to come in and fill one of the strikers's shift (even then i can't agree they have the right to prevent an individual from doing what they are LAWFULLY allowed to do but i would have to know the situation to decide weather to cross it and work or not)

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't been around here long Mike, and I've read quite a few logical comments and posts of yours but to suggest that's it's OK for an individual or group of individuals to UNLAWFULLY DETAIN someone is kind of a crazy notion to me.

·
Premium Member
38,966 Posts
I don't know all the details here really but a trucker driving for a company doesn't often have the option of refusing to go somewhere EVEN IF HE DID somehow know about the striking workers.
I could see having some contempt if this WERE a person trying to come in and fill one of the strikers's shift (even then i can't agree they have the right to prevent an individual from doing what they are LAWFULLY allowed to do but i would have to know the situation to decide weather to cross it and work or not)
If a job required me to cross a picket line, it was time for me to find a new job. I have refused to cross four of them in my career, three of them as a tractor-trailer operator, and I never lost a job over it.

·
Premium Member
38,966 Posts
I haven't been around here long Mike, and I've read quite a few logical comments and posts of yours but to suggest that's it's OK for an individual or group of individuals to UNLAWFULLY DETAIN someone is kind of a crazy notion to me.
Cross a picket line, get what you get. Is it right? Hard to say, since I've never crossed one.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The headline is all wrong. This wasn't a protest, it was a strike.

According to the story he had already unloaded and was leaving. I can understand them blocking his way in, but no reason to not let him leave without blocking his way out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great moral decision on your part, and i have NO problem with you doing so and
It would seem to me for the most part if a company can have organized enough employees refusing to work there's a legitimate issue but to make YOUR problem MY problem is where I have a problem.
OK'n this situation gives more credibility in general to the idiots out blocking highways at a perceived (real or not) wrongdoing.

Hats off to ya for trucking though, it's a tough and thankless job most of the time!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The headline is all wrong. This wasn't a protest, it was a strike.

According to the story he had already unloaded and was leaving. I can understand them blocking his way in, but no reason to not let him leave without blocking his way out.
That's the part that had me scratching my head LOL

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Union thugs...gotta love'em.

But, apparently, they are scattered all around.:smile:

Reactions: Aquaman

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's put morality back up on it's pedestal for a minute and go back to the original intent of my post. :yup:The LEGALITY of him being arrested for that charge when he physically touched no one (according to article)
DARN SLIPPERY SLOPE

Reactions: sdprof

·
Premium Member
38,966 Posts
That's a great moral decision on your part, and i have NO problem with you doing so and
It would seem to me for the most part if a company can have organized enough employees refusing to work there's a legitimate issue but to make YOUR problem MY problem is where I have a problem.
OK'n this situation gives more credibility in general to the idiots out blocking highways at a perceived (real or not) wrongdoing.

Hats off to ya for trucking though, it's a tough and thankless job most of the time!
Not a moral decision at all. Bad things happen when outsiders cross picket lines. This one struck very close to home. Very, very close:

Reactions: Pijo73

·
Registered
198 Posts
imo, unions were formed to protect the workers from unfair , dangerous work conditions. With Osha now a huge part of the American work force unions are not needed. I believe if your in the Union you have the right to picked (protest) however I have seen these taken a little to far. I crossed a line in 1999 and no big deal but have heard of some real bad stories. Scabs or not everyone has the right to make a living.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Touche on that angle man, and i can see you have a personal stake in this conversation from the location but it STILL gives no justification in the charges on the LEGAL side IMO.
On the crossing picket lines issue...
MAYBE the guy arrived the night before and had no idea there was a strike, that might explain why they stopped him after delivery.
Too many scenarios to make a blanket statement like your original comment

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Have no use for Unions in any form. Often they mess over workers more then anyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Funny, blocking the road and preventing interstate commerce is a felony. Strikers are supposed to be on the sidewalk

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
There's probably more to this story than what was published. Getting arrested vs getting cited for reckless driving seems to be a big deal, and I have to wonder what evidence there was. Was LE on scene, or was he arrested based on phone video?

How long until someone fabricates vehicle mounted pepper spray to clear protesters away?

·
Premium Member
38,966 Posts
Funny, blocking the road and preventing interstate commerce is a felony. Strikers are supposed to be on the sidewalk
I've read several accounts of the incident from different sources, and none of them alleged that anyone was trying to impede his exit. All of them say he drove toward the strikers, nearly hitting one.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts