Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very soon I am going to be purchasing a new firearm but cant decide and wanted to hear everyone's opinions. I'm looking at the Ruger GP100, and the Smith & Wesson 586 with 6 inch barrels. Both guns are blued, 357 caliber. The main reason will be for range shooting and maybe a deer hunt every now and then. I've held both at the same time at the local gun store, however haven't shoot either yet. The Ruger is close to $100 less than the smith. I'm leaning more towards the smith right now as I think it will keep more of its value years down the road when I hand it over to one of my boys and I think it looks better as well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Very soon I am going to be purchasing a new firearm but cant decide and wanted to hear everyone's opinions. I'm looking at the Ruger GP100, and the Smith & Wesson 586 with 6 inch barrels. Both guns are blued, 357 caliber. The main reason will be for range shooting and maybe a deer hunt every now and then. I've held both at the same time at the local gun store, however haven't shoot either yet. The Ruger is close to $100 less than the smith. I'm leaning more towards the smith right now as I think it will keep more of its value years down the road when I hand it over to one of my boys and I think it looks better as well.
Let your eldest choose. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While I can't say much about the Smith, I know that your boys' boys' boys will be able to continue shooting the GP100 without a hitch.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
If the s&w is no lock and no mim and firing pin on Hammer do it ..If it has the hillary lock etc get the Ruger

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well.....I own the Ruger and I own the S&W 686. If it were me buying, I would go with the S&W (as stated above, if no trigger lock).

Ruger makes a nice gun. S&W makes a nice gun. S&W has a better name and way better resale value. Not sure what they are going for now but I paid $190 for my 686 stainless S&W. I have been offered $600 for it years later.

I could not get even what I paid for the Ruger now. Close? Yes. Just not the profit the S&W makes.

Also I never buy a gun with the intention of selling it but there comes a time when either myself or my heirs will sell.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV
1 - 5 of 5 Posts