Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting ~200 rds through the kimber today I found that the black front sight post was hard to pick up. I thought about upgrading the sights, but I decided that I would try painting the sight. I had readabout it on another forum long ago. I had to disassemble the gun and clean it anyway.....

$5 can from homedepot and add the blue painters tape and .....

How much I like it will depend on my next range trip. I can pick up the front sight much easier now and aiming at light switches on dim walls is nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I basicly did the front of my XDs in the same color. Just bought some Testors flourscent orange at Wal-Mart. Got the rear dots in green, shows up quite well in daytime light conditions.

Looks good, tho, good idea about the painter's tape.. :yup:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Did the same thing, wally world lure paint.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I got some tru-glo paint and did the same for my ruger. But with my glock I'm getting some TFO's from Gary B.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
For those of you that have done this, does it show up better than the usual white dot lineup? I've seen it on some target pistols and thought about trying it, but was never sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
CopperKnight said:
For those of you that have done this, does it show up better than the usual white dot lineup? I've seen it on some target pistols and thought about trying it, but was never sure.
Oh yes.. works wonders for me. So well in fact I keep postponing my purchase of TFO's. I tried green and red both in the front but orange is still the best for my eyes. The nice thing is, Testor's is cheap, less than $2 per bottle and they will last through MANY repaints. Buy some and experiment! Also get a bottle of their paint thinner as it takes it out well without finish issues if you go a bit overboard.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh Yeah! especially for us old eye guys. I really like the Fl Orange on the front sight of my little taurus. I can pick the sight up very quickly.

I even paint around the vial on front sights that are night sights.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
One of the big complaints everyone has about Makarovs is the size of the front sight. Front sight is really an overstatement for what is there. It looks more like someone for got to file off a piece of casting. If you look real hard in the picture below you might see a little 1/8" tall bump. That is the front sight. Right after I got my Bulgarian Mak I ordered some sight paint from Sportmans Guide and it makes a bunch of difference. I have bad eyes and wear lineless bifocals. About the middle of the lens is perfect for picking up and focusing on the front sight usually. It didn't work on the unpainted Mak sight, but since I painted it I have no problems picking it up. I you happen to find the front sight on the picture you will see a bit of the paint showing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did it with my 1911, but I used nail polish. Yeah, it was laying around in my girlfriend's nail polish bag, it works. It's night and day difference from the original White Black in the White "U".

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the XDs, I take an orange grease pencil and fill in the front sight.
On older wheelguns, I use orange nail polish I borrowed from Mrs. Airedale. I put an orange line of polish on the ramp (crossways). That line sits in the bottom of the rear sight opening. Works great.
On the competition wheelguns, I've gone to fiber optic front sights. The old eyes can find it a bit faster.
Dave

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fed_wif_a_sig said:
Thats an idea that has worked for years. Be careful if you have a night sight as you might accidently cover up the glowy stuff. I good source for a high quality job is TJ Sig's who will do a fantastic job for just $10.

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/Macros/dayglo.htm

Take care,

Steve

There were no marks on my sights at all.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks for all the comments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts