Defensive Carry banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
I've shot trap with an 18" 12g. With no choke you have to be on target quickly or the pattern becomes too spread out to break the clays.
I did a shotgun class where we shot trap with buckshot instead of birdshot. It really drove home the lesson of aiming rather than pointing in the general direction.

Poppy42,
"...you can be 10 to 15 feet away close your eyes, point it in general Direction of your target, and if you can squeeze off a round or two and you're probably going to hit your target. ..."

I've been teaching new shooters for over 30 years and this idea that a shotgun can be pointed in the general direction of a target without aiming is a pet peeve of mine.
While shotguns are very forgiving, they still need to be aimed.

Here's one thread that discusses the use of a shotgun for SD. There are links in it to a couple other threads also.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...tgun-home-defense-just-point-shoot-myths.html
Most definitely so !!!!! Definitely a more forgiving thing to shoot than a rifle or pistol but does require skill all the same. I haven't shot a whole lot of buckshot but I bet its a little different that pheasant loads. You gotta practice until it becomes natural.

This is why I have taken many Gun Fighting courses in the last 6 years and each year which my local ranges do not allow shooting and moving and reloading. I have the opportunity to take an Alumni course 4 to 6 times a year to re-sharpen those skills. The large outdoor range is hot all the time, it is a 360 degree range with only 6-9 shooters that are divided into two groups that shoot as a group. Drawing, moving, shooting, reloading and assessing what was done. Several reps of each portion of the class make for better memory on how to get things done. In a couple of weeks I am doing a Fighting Rifle course which will be out to 70 or so yards. You do have to go looking for these type of classes as they are out there. Many of the instructors will travel near to where you live so long distance travel is not necessary. Good luck with finding what suits you best.

Reactions: Chuck R.
Full contact practice is a lot of things and there's lot's of reasons why we don't do it, per say, but regardless I'm a closer bigger targets kind of guy.

Does this help? :wave:

:embarassed:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.