Defensive Carry banner

Can't Practice

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  jackjones 
#1 ·
I took entry level shotgun training @ pistol range. No shotguns allowed on range. Training given before range open to public. Shotgun use on pistol range. 1 time class only. Trainer said practice shotgun @ county/NRA outdoor range. Went to range. Not allowed to shoot buck shot @ target 21 ft away. Reason miss target, hit wooden target stand, damage wooden target stand. Can only shoot rifle slug on rifle range @ required minimum distance. Didn't have rifle slug, could not shoot & left. Wont go back. Shotgun collects dust. Did I make a mistake? My thinking. If I can shoot a rifle slung @ distance. That does not mean I can shoot buck shot 21 ft. or less. Or should I practice @ minimum rife distance W/ rife slug & hope I hit W/ buck shot @ 21 ft. or less? Do all outdoor ranges not allow buck shot?

#5 ·
You could always make your own stands out of some 1X2 lumber with a poster board backer and use them at the NRA range... unless of course they have a rule against someone bringing their own homemade wooden target stand...:embarassed:

#6 ·
I would keep looking for a place to practice with your shotgun.

Shooting slugs at minimum rifle distances will be better than nothing, but not ideal.
Another good way to practice is skeet or trap shooting. You can get a good feel for how your shotgun shoots and also helps you build familiarity with it. It also will help you with moving targets.

Ideally you should pattern your shotgun with the ammo that you plan to use for HD. Hopefully you can find a place that will allow that. Until then, do what you can to become confident with your chosen HD weapon. Even if all that is dry firing it at home.

Good luck!

#12 ·
Thank you. That was my first concern. Buck shot/ slug would be close but not the same. I like the idea shooting skeet which is designed for shooter to practice shooting birds w/ longer barrel shot guns. Would I look funny shooting same w/ a 18 inch barreled shot gun?

#7 ·
That really sucks, but don't they think people can miss with a pistol and hit the stands too? If they allow you to bring in your own target stands, that's a good idea. I see guys make cardboard targets and fill in the bottom with rocks all the time at the public outdoor range I go to. Unless there are just no other ranges within 50-100 miles of you, I too would be looking for another. It may mean you have to wait on and pay for a membership, but if it allows you to use what you paid for, so be it.

Look, I'll be flat out honest with you. I once couldn't practice with a rifle I bought at my local range. What did I do? I went waaaay out in the middle of nowhere, found a nice hillside and put some rounds out. There wasn't a house to be seen, it was abandoned and unused land and I did what at the time I thought I had to do. Might not have been "right", but I at least made sure it was 100% safe.

#14 ·
Thank you. You have given me an idea. Get boxes from a store. The type of boxes people use to pack for moving. Put 2 boxes across fill w/ rocks/sand. Build boxes as high as needed. Secured w/ duct tape. Put a target on box face. Replace shot up boxes as needed. Of course I remember know your back stop & what's behind it. I think every body helped solve my problem.

#17 ·
Funny thing about shotguns and buckshot you can be 10 to 15 feet away close your eyes, point it in general Direction of your target, and if you can squeeze off a round or two and you're probably going to hit your target. My point being when you train with a shotgun your training should be for the mechanical use of the weapon itself then yout aiming abilities. So if you can hit your target with a slug out of a 12 gauge, your damn sure going to hit that target would buckshot. That's what makes it so useful as a home defense weapon. The same reasoning made it so useful for trench clearing in world war one

#18 ·
Find a different range. Mine allows SG loaded with 00 Buck and it's an indoor range.

#22 ·
This is why I have taken many Gun Fighting courses in the last 6 years and each year which my local ranges do not allow shooting and moving and reloading. I have the opportunity to take an Alumni course 4 to 6 times a year to re-sharpen those skills. The large outdoor range is hot all the time, it is a 360 degree range with only 6-9 shooters that are divided into two groups that shoot as a group. Drawing, moving, shooting, reloading and assessing what was done. Several reps of each portion of the class make for better memory on how to get things done. In a couple of weeks I am doing a Fighting Rifle course which will be out to 70 or so yards. You do have to go looking for these type of classes as they are out there. Many of the instructors will travel near to where you live so long distance travel is not necessary. Good luck with finding what suits you best.

Reactions: Chuck R.
#23 ·
Full contact practice is a lot of things and there's lot's of reasons why we don't do it, per say, but regardless I'm a closer bigger targets kind of guy.

Does this help? :wave:

:embarassed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.