Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time cap and ball shooter and I've watched enough youtube videos to be considered dangerous :blink:

From what I've read and seen, getting the percussion caps to fit on the nipples correctly is pretty critical. It was suggested to me when ordering my supplies that I change out the nipples that came with my Uberti pistols to aftermarket nipples which will fit our American brand percussion caps better. Supposedly Uberti's nipples are in-between sizes, 11 is too big and 10 is too small.
I was sold some #11 nipples that are for #11 caps. Well, the #11 caps fall right off. They are way too loose and won't press on any tighter.
However, the #11 caps do fit snugly on the nipples that came with my revolvers. And I can get the 10's to fit either, but it's tight. Too tight IMO. I had a heckuva time getting the caps back off, especially with the factory nipples.

Is it even worth keeping these aftermarket nipples? They are around 32 bucks for one package of six.
They are supposed to last longer and be made from a better material, and I could use them with the #10's, but considering they don't do what they were supposed to do, fit a #11 cap better than the factory nipples, I never would have ordered them in the first place. I guess it depends on how quickly the factory nipples will wear out or get corroded.

Anybody here with experience in this area?

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
No idea. I never swapped out the caps on my 1851 replica, and just used #10's.

The most valuable advice I can give you though is to be sure to seal the front of the chambers every time you load it. Otherwise, you can get a bit of a surprise.

Reactions: Goldy49 and PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea. I never swapped out the caps on my 1851 replica, and just used #10's.

The most valuable advice I can give you though is to be sure to seal the front of the chambers every time you load it. Otherwise, you can get a bit of a surprise.
Chain fires can happen from the nipple end, too. That's one of the reasons you want a good fit that won't have them falling off from recoil.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Had a chain fire once on a Ruger Old Army! To the Ruger's credit it was not damaged, however that was the end of my shooting percussion revolvers!:blink:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Chain fire is why folks who try percussion revolver carbines are often nicknamed...Lefty.
WAIT! They'd actually be called "Righty". ('cuz it's your left hand that gets...mangled!) :blink:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
just side crimp the loose caps a bit and they'll stay on better.
It's not like you're going to be chased while riding full out on horseback having to change cylinders in the saddle like the Pony Express riders had to do.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just side crimp the loose caps a bit and they'll stay on better.
It's not like you're going to be chased while riding full out on horseback having to change cylinders in the saddle like the Pony Express riders had to do.
So you're saying the aftermarket nipples are indeed better? Better to the point it's worth it even though the caps don't fit well?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
So you're saying the aftermarket nipples are indeed better? Better to the point it's worth it even though the caps don't fit well?
I didn't say anything about the OEM VS aftermarket nipples. My two B&C pistols are a Colt 1860 Army and a Ruger Old Army
and sometimes the caps fit the nipples on the Colt a bit loosely. I just crimp finger crimp them slightly to tighten them onto
the nipples.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The caps would only need finger crimped if I used the aftermarket nipples in conjunction with the #11 caps.
That's why I thought you were recommending them.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Use premium caps.....I only use Dynamit-Nobel

Reactions: molleur and PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use premium caps.....I only use Dynamit-Nobel
I bought the caps locally and CCI were all they had.
Maybe that is where the problem lies with the caps not fitting the aftermarket nipples. And maybe that's why they DO fit the factory nipples even though they aren't supposed to, lol.
I read today that even within the same manufacturer some caps will fit better than others. Maybe CCI's run big.
I'll look for them.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Don't dry fire on nippels,will wear em down alot quicker ; ) PS Push the #10 down whith thumb it will seal good
H/D

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Don't dry fire on nippels,will wear em down alot quicker ; ) PS Push the #10 down whith thumb it will seal good
H/D
Do not seat the caps with your thumb. I've seen pictures of a CAS shooter whose thumb was mangled badly when a cap exploded against it. Use a short wooden dowel rod or antler tip.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do not seat the caps with your thumb. I've seen pictures of a CAS shooter whose thumb was mangled badly when a cap exploded against it. Use a short wooden dowel rod or antler tip.
I might have seen one of those pics. There was a "V" right where the guy would have used his thumb to seat the cap.

Colt actually recommends lowering the hammer on the cap and using your palm to push it. The benefit to doing it this way over using the dowel is the chamber will be lined up with the barrel. I was all set to throw a dowel into my dry box until I read this and it made perfect sense. If a guy pushing with his thumb can set off a cap, a wood dowel certainly could.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Mayby set off the #11s,, I've set a manny of #10s on the stock nipples with thumb & never set one of, Not saying it can't happen but I also used a capper made of plastic, still my thumb on top ; ) PS Always keep pointed in safe direction..
H/D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I might have seen one of those pics. There was a "V" right where the guy would have used his thumb to seat the cap.

Colt actually recommends lowering the hammer on the cap and using your palm to push it. The benefit to doing it this way over using the dowel is the chamber will be lined up with the barrel. I was all set to throw a dowel into my dry box until I read this and it made perfect sense. If a guy pushing with his thumb can set off a cap, a wood dowel certainly could.
SASS rules do not allow lowering the hammer on the cap to seat it so I never got in the habit. It may be possible to ignite a cap with a wooden dowel or piece of antler but I have never seen or heard of it and I've loaded one many times. I don't touch the cap with my hand except when loading my capper. Even seating with the hammer can cause injury because the hammer rebounds to some extent when the pistol is fired. No serious injury but it would get your attention.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can't be too careful. That's for sure.
Thus my thread on finding the right combination cap/nipple for a good fit. Ideally I'd just like to use my capper.
And it seems the factory nipples with the #11 caps were the perfect fit... somehow. Obviously with any kind or press fit on items that are mass produced there's going to be some variances, but that was a chunk of change to drop on 12 nipples where the caps that are supposed to fit them don't.
I hope to hear from the vendor Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
First time cap and ball shooter and I've watched enough youtube videos to be considered dangerous :blink:

From what I've read and seen, getting the percussion caps to fit on the nipples correctly is pretty critical. It was suggested to me when ordering my supplies that I change out the nipples that came with my Uberti pistols to aftermarket nipples which will fit our American brand percussion caps better. Supposedly Uberti's nipples are in-between sizes, 11 is too big and 10 is too small.
I was sold some #11 nipples that are for #11 caps. Well, the #11 caps fall right off. They are way too loose and won't press on any tighter.
However, the #11 caps do fit snugly on the nipples that came with my revolvers. And I can get the 10's to fit either, but it's tight. Too tight IMO. I had a heckuva time getting the caps back off, especially with the factory nipples.

Is it even worth keeping these aftermarket nipples? They are around 32 bucks for one package of six.
They are supposed to last longer and be made from a better material, and I could use them with the #10's, but considering they don't do what they were supposed to do, fit a #11 cap better than the factory nipples, I never would have ordered them in the first place. I guess it depends on how quickly the factory nipples will wear out or get corroded.

Anybody here with experience in this area?
Exactly what are you shooting? What brand nipples? What brand caps?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts