Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
[...]
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub rather than a Glock 19/23 (or 26) and I carry accordingly.
Lots of rounds is just one positive attribute. An extremely low probability of not going bang is another positive attribute ... in fact, it's more important to me than the first attribute. And an extremely powerful round is a third important positive attribute (at least for me).

I realize that some semi-autos are fairly reliable, but people DO practice clearing drills with their semi-autos. I have much more confidence that my 629 revolver won't ever let me down, than I do with my 10mm 1911 Kimber Eclipse.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Situation? I don't expect to be in a situation.
As I said:
"My carry philosophy is: Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub rather than a Glock 19/23 (or 26) and I carry accordingly."
There is for me. If I am in physical contact with someone, wrestling with them or soon to be wrestling with them, which is quite foreseeable, I would prefer the 38 snub.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
There is for me. If I am in physical contact with someone, wrestling with them or soon to be wrestling with them, which is quite foreseeable, I would prefer the 38 snub.
Exactly. Can’t clear a semi with a jam while some guy is pile driving your head into the ground. Ain’t gonna happen.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Its not so much about hardware as it is about you. I only worked around criminals for a couple of years as a detention deputy but, what I learned in those years changed my life in many ways.

Those folks know when your an easy mark despite what hardware you carry. They would avoid an unarmed man they knew was the type to be committed to fight back and target a man they knew carried a pair of Glock 19's who was not committed. That is just the way it is. How do they know? They make a living at reading people and they avoid conflict like the plaque. Lions don't target the strongest Antelope they go after the one who poses the least risk and the least effort to themselves. If the weakest Antelope had the biggest set of horns it would make no difference to the Lion.

Pick whatever gun,ammo, holster you want as long as you can get to it fast and are willing to actually shoot somebody. Train with movement, train under time constraints, train from the ground, left handed, falling backwards. Train realistically like dropping your empty rounds/magazines/speedloaders in the dirt when you practice reloads. No matter what gun you carry have a plan B when the gun doesn't stop them. Knife? Hands? Run? What is your next move going to be?
If your carry gun looks really good in pictures your not training with it.
If your not prepared to use it the hardware is irrelevant. I often carry a 642 and no, I don't expect the attackers to fall like rag dolls after one shot or five but, if I open with a couple rounds on target my follow up moves should be just a tad easier for me no matter what I decide those are going to be.

Then again I could die no matter what I carry or how many rounds. It just takes one to take me out. I am getting old so I could empty my gun and get killed right before my attackers die as well. Life is dangerous.
Above all make your decision based on you and your life not any of ours.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Plan for the Worst and Hope for the Best.

words to live by in pretty much everything you do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I generally carry a Glock 26. I find that it conceals well under a loose polo shirt, which I generally wear now that I am retired. If I am wearing a sport coat or suit I like Smith 442 or 642 or more recently ruger LCR in side pants pocket holster for concealment reasons. Reasons I generally carry G26 is I feel most gun I can carry comfortably under the polo. It fits my hand well, strangely unlike Glock 19 and 17. Plus it is easy to get good aftermarket sights for G26 and as older person I need big bold sights. In my case F8 sights from xssights. And I plain enjoy shooting the G26, which is light recoiling and cheap to shot. If I carried a Jframe or LCR I don't think I would be practicing near as much as I do with my G26.

But we are all different and have different needs and life styles and if a Jframe revolver fit my needs better I would be ok with it.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I'm curious if anyone here has actual first hand knowledge of a civilian defensive incident where lack of capacity negatively affected the outcome of the encounter for the defender.
Short answer: No

Mine holds 8-big rounds w/ another seven available; that will be more than enough. If I find a requirement for more than that, I need something belt-fed or in the multi-kiloton range.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I've carried at times, a HK P30L 40 S&W, 13 rounds, Sig P226 40 S&W, 12 rounds and never felt naked. The only time I ever carry a reload is when I visit Memphis. Now, I'm transitioning to 45 acp, S&W 45, 10 rounds, and my newly acquired 1911, 8 rounds. I still don't feel naked.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'm curious if anyone here has actual first hand knowledge of a civilian defensive incident where lack of capacity negatively affected the outcome of the encounter for the defender.

Here's why I ask...

I have been carrying a Glock 26 IWB for some years now. Nice gun, decent capacity (11 rounds), reliable, etc. It is however a bit chunky in the size and weight department given my daily level of activity. On a whim, I recently bought an S&W 642 J Frame. It is soooo much more comfortable for me for all day carry. I've even become a decent shot with it out to 10 yards. It does have the one glaring shortcoming however, lack of capacity. Less than half of my 26.

As a civilian who's "mission" is to break contact with and get away from the bad guy, I believe 5 rounds would be enough in the vast majority of cases. The "lack of capacity" issue is still in the back of my mind whenever I carry the J frame however. Is this a valid real world concern? Anyway, just curious and interested in any real situations where "5 for sure" was not enough.
Like you, I carry a 642 snub. Fits my pocket, is lightweight, and easy to carry at all times.

In my case, I live a boring old retired guy's lifestyle. Coupled to the fact that I'm a little larger than average, in good shape for my age and an unlikely target. That equates to the little 38 snub being a good choice for my purposes.

Not a good choice for others though.

Each of us has to evaluate our individual circumstances and make the determination on what fits best.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The young healthy guy has less risk of being attacked than the doddering old fart. Not to mention the young guy can fight his way out of some attacks but the old fart can't fight his way out of a wet depends. The young guy might get out of an attack without any gun but the old fart might need at least one gun.
Now you're starting to hurt my feelings, but you have described me pretty accurately, I'll give you that. I'll not be whopping up on anybody in a physical altercation.

The capacity discussion is so personal that no one can answer it for another. All that matters is that you feel comfortable with your choice even if it runs contrary to the majority opinion.

You cannot possibly cover every possible scenario, compromises have to be made.

I feel the chance I'll ever have to use my gun in self defense is really small and the chance that I'll need more ammo than I have on hand is even smaller yet. At some point those probabilities become negligible. Each of us decides where that point is in our own mind.

As someone else mentioned there is no amount of capacity that could be enough for every conceivable situation. So you go with what makes you feel adequately prepared. My EDC is a Compact with 15+1 capacity but I don't even bother to top off the mag after chambering as I don't think that one extra round gives me any edge. I have a Shield that only holds 8 and wouldn't hesitate to carry that instead if it weren't for the fact that I shoot the Compact much better. To me that's more important than how many rounds it holds. My number one consideration of what to use as a carry gun is how confident I am that I can place rounds on target.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
IMO, I think it depends on the neighborhood you live in, the roads you commute on, and where you work. I have a small firearms training business, but we do not sell guns. However, some people assume we sell guns and that assumption can be an added risk for robbery.

I switch around, depending on how those circumstances change. I went form a 6 shot Colt revolver, to a full sized 1911 .45 and extra mags. That was because I was alone at my business one day when 6 suspicious vehicles pulled into my business parking lot at once, 12" blades hanging from belts, and pulling on face-masks as they walked toward the door of my business. I locked the door and it appeared that when they saw the video surveillance signs near the door, they turned to leave. That made me rethink the 6 shot revolver.

Now with the uncertainty of the Coronapocolypse, growing poverty and soaring unemployment, I don't feel the 1911 is enough capacity. So, I am now carrying the Beretta 92x Compact, 13+1 with extra mags. This gun is on me 24-7, even though I live in a place most would consider "safer", it is not the city or ghetto.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
My carry philosophy is: Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub rather than a Glock 19/23 (or 26) and I carry accordingly.
Lots of rounds is just one positive attribute. An extremely low probability of not going bang is another positive attribute ... in fact, it's more important to me than the first attribute. And an extremely powerful round is a third important positive attribute (at least for me).

I realize that some semi-autos are fairly reliable, but people DO practice clearing drills with their semi-autos. I have much more confidence that my 629 revolver won't ever let me down, than I do with my 10mm 1911 Kimber Eclipse.
I've owned 44 revolvers, wasn't fond of them.
I have a 10mm Kimber 1911 (aint the only one) and 10mm Glocks, all are reliable; the Glock is quicker with follow up shots.
I have complete confidence in whatever Glock I'm carrying 19/23/22/35/20SF

I have 38 snubs, would suffice as a 2nd option ("back-up") in my weak hand front pocket but Kahr PM9 / Glock 43 trigger is much more agreeable to my weak hand.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Situation? I don't expect to be in a situation.
As I said:
"My carry philosophy is: Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub rather than a Glock 19/23 (or 26) and I carry accordingly."
I'm sorry I guess my response was not directed only at you, what i was trying to say is that each individual probably needs to weigh their own needs out..... some people would walk right past either one of those "situations" and not think to interject themselves into it, others would have to step in either because they have a duty to or feel they have a duty to. Me pesonally I know if i'm just going to run into town where i work, i feel OK with just my M&P Shield, on the other hand if I run up to the city 15minutes away where the potential for more of a criminal element I carry a gun with more capacity, not that any of those things havent happened here but I know back up is close and we rarely have had to deal with multiple assailants.

·
Premium Member
33,777 Posts
5 rounds is not enough for me; despite that I've been carrying 25+ years and never "needed" a single round for SD.
Why?
I'd rather have rounds left over than run out.
Two - three rounds (good hits) may be required to stop an attacker (singular) - link:
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
Can't count on all shots fired being good hits nor just a singular attacker.
Some people are hard to stop, about 1:10 into video watch as large man acts like bullet wounds are bee stings:

My carry philosophy is: Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
As a non-photogenic guy myself, I gotta say I would find this guy's videos much more enjoyable if he didn't insist on appearing on camera throughout.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I'm sorry I guess my response was not directed only at you, what i was trying to say is that each individual probably needs to weigh their own needs out..... some people would walk right past either one of those "situations" and not think to interject themselves into it, others would have to step in either because they have a duty to or feel they have a duty to. Me pesonally I know if i'm just going to run into town where i work, i feel OK with just my M&P Shield, on the other hand if I run up to the city 15minutes away where the potential for more of a criminal element I carry a gun with more capacity, not that any of those things havent happened here but I know back up is close and we rarely have had to deal with multiple assailants.
Video is an example of how some people can be hard to stop; its not about that specific incident, it is an example of someone taking rounds and not quickly incapacitated.

Work aint a thing for me anymore, thank God.
I can dress as I choose and I do so with concealment in mind.
Location nor time of day diminish what I would prefer to defend myself with, if I want ___ in a "bad" area, I want it in a "good" area too.
I'd prefer a Glock 19/23 in hand if I had to defend myself wherever over a snub or LCP/P3AT - just that simple.
I've not carried smaller than a Glock 19/23 since I retired, don't have to.
I can easily conceal Glock 19/23 size pistol AIWB or strong side IWB under "summer attire" - I anit going about in public wearing less than shorts and a shirt.
July18a.JPG

July18b.JPG

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
If/when, I need to make compromises for my carry gun, and need something for a pocket, I do so knowing that it is a step down....or 2.
For this reason, I diligently practice with my pocket gun of 5 shots, even though it only gets carried %10 percent of the time.

My rule of thumb is the lower the capacity, the bigger, more powerful round I want.

My primary carry line up looks like this from most to least carried; Colt LW Cmd 45 auto , Glock 26, and S&W Airweight revolver 38spl.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Many people speak of "breaking contact" and fleeing as soon as possible. What if that is not possible? The fight is gonna be what the fight is gonna be. The same guys that absorb lots of bullets fired by the cops are gonna do the same if that is the BG you encounter. What is the level of your training? Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

With 4 decades of LE I carry a full size magnum revolver or a full size pistol, and reloads in retirement.

https://forum.opencarry.org/index.php?threads/urban-gunfighter-the-lance-thomas-story.45333/

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Many people speak of "breaking contact" and fleeing as soon as possible. What if that is not possible? The fight is gonna be what the fight is gonna be. The same guys that absorb lots of bullets fired by the cops are gonna do the same if that is the BG you encounter. What is the level of your training? Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.