Defensive Carry banner

One or Two Guns while in your car?

• One gun only. I can draw while seated.

Votes: 80 50.3%
  • One gun only. It's unholstered and nearby while driving.

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Second gun in the glovebox or middle console.

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • Second gun in a homemade holder/holster.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Why only 1 or 2 guns? I have five in my car !!

Votes: 10 6.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... anyone use one?

When I do carry it's pretty much at the 3 o'clock position. I'm not sure how that's going to work with the seat belt right there if I need to draw quickly. Also with not being able to carry at my new job, I have found myself taking my XD .40 with me and placing it on the passenger seat and locking it in the glovebox while at work.

If you do have a second gun in your car ~ what is it ? (and) ~ where is it ?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I keep a second locked in a secure-it lock box, and move it to center console whenever I'm in the truck.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I most always have my gun in my vehicle when I travel. Most always means 98% of the time. I usually place my weapon in the center console while driving and that is where it stays until I get home after work. I don't travel in a big city so I'm not too worried about someone trying to get into my car at a stop sign or light.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I usually only have my regular SD weapon on my person while in the car. If going to Orlando or Jax, I may tuck a second .45 next to the console...:comeandgetsome:

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
placing it on the passenger seat and locking it in the glovebox while at work.
I strongly reccomend a secure lock box in your car if youhave to leave your gun in there.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
If you do have a second gun in your car ~ what is it ? (and) ~ where is it ?
.357 SP-101, in holster with retention strap (thanks, Herknav) between console and front seat.

When I get to my destination, it goes in a pocket holster and into my pocket.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I only have my one SD gun on me in the truck...If I'm traveling, I usually carry an extra gun or two in the truck, but not on me....

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Been discussed before...

My thoughts - I do not want to leave my guns anywhere where they are not secure. A vehicle is not secure - even with a lock box - since the whole vehicle can be stolen in seconds.

My gun stays on my person.

Vehicle tactics in a nutshell:

If you see trouble coming, and you can drive away, then drive away.

Your vehicle is a more powerful weapon than any handgun.

If you see trouble coming, but you cannot drive away, exit the vehicle immediately and fight on foot. Your immobile vehicle is a trap that offers zero ballistic protection.

If you get caught by surprise while you are in your vehicle...well, you aren't going to outdraw an already drawn gun. Best bet may be to feign compliance, get out, and then do what you need to do depending on the situation.

My $0.012's worth ($0.02 minus taxes)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have one of my rejected holsters that I modified slightly and adapted to use between my seat and my console...my gun goes there when I get in and back in my holster when I get out. On longer trips (like into cities) I normally have my .38 snubbie in an ankle holster as well.

Not sure how that fits the poll choices....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been discussed before...

My thoughts - I do not want to leave my guns anywhere where they are not secure. A vehicle is not secure - even with a lock box - since the whole vehicle can be stolen in seconds.

My gun stays on my person.

Vehicle tactics in a nutshell:

If you see trouble coming, and you can drive away, then drive away.

Your vehicle is a more powerful weapon than any handgun.

If you see trouble coming, but you cannot drive away, exit the vehicle immediately and fight on foot. Your immobile vehicle is a trap that offers zero ballistic protection.

If you get caught by surprise while you are in your vehicle...well, you aren't going to outdraw an already drawn gun. Best bet may be to feign compliance, get out, and then do what you need to do depending on the situation.

Good post. Worth more than 2 cents !!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
:haha: Agreed! On all points listed.

:hand10: 10thmtn.

My 4x4 Silverado will make a mess of any BG, and it has a reverse too.:image035:

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The only gun in my cars is the one I carry. More than a couple firearms have been stolen when left in a locked car or locked up somewhere outside the car (not at home but 'wherever').

The safest place for my sidearm is on me. When I do have to disarm, I'm always very nervous about my sidearm being pilfered, regardless if locked in it's lockbox.
Two sidearms is one too many to keep up with most of the time for me.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Despite the number of guns I have, I only drive with one mounted on my person in whatever holster I selected for the day. If I have to go into a restricted area, then it stays in the car while I become easy prey. Admittedly, I do need to buy a suitable lock box. As for the poll, there isn't a selection for what I believe is a fairly common scenario. Anywho, I'll pick the first option as I can draw, although maybe not very well. I know of two car-jack style holsters that would be good for this, but they are rather specialized and quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
:image035:I fall into the #4 catagory. Might be a good thing not to be first in this poll.

Merry Christmas:santaclaus:

Craig

·
Registered
522 Posts
Been discussed before...

If in this situation, feign compliance, and then fake a heart attack. Clutch the chest, breath loudly; peeing in your pants or barfing is a nice touch. This way, you can "double up" and get your CCW out before the BG figures out whats happening.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am a LEO in a rural area, 30% of the on my own time, one handgun with spare mag. The rest of the time with my "Go Bag", it has a small nine, two spare mags for it and a spare mag for the one on my belt. That gives me 50 to 75 rounds with two handguns. Also always a long gun in the car or truck, 8 round 12 ga or a AR with minium 2- twenty round spar mags.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I keep a holstered revolver hidden inside my driver's side door pouch, because, with every other door around Dayton, Ohio, having those gun-ban signs on them, you may as well keep your gun inside your car, unless you know where you are going and where and when you can take a gun in, etc.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
- Same here. I did buy a COM safe for my car, but I only plan on using it when I have to go into a location that will not allow me to carry on premises (Post Office, School, etc.).

·
Registered
806 Posts
If I'm going to be in the car for a substantial portion of that day, I carry in crossdraw. If not, I carry at 0300 and loosen the seat belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts