Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just completed a CCW permit class led by a Deputy Sherrif. The class was told to buy a bunch of screw drivers and keep them in every car door compartment in every vehicle they own. Screwdrivers are not considered weapons yet can inflict pain upon an attacker when deployed properly: jabs to the neck, face, eyes, ears, etc can disorient a would be car-jacker and allow for escape or time to get to another weapon.

Located in each door, they could be quickly accessed if someone were to attempt to enter or pull you out of the car. That's the theory, and I'm certain that many DC members can punch a number of holes in it (no pun intended), but I found it to be worthy of consideration. I'd go for a good-sized phillips screw driver.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Whip12

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've got a very large and heavy metal flashlight in my door. I'll stick with that if I can't get to my EDC fast enough.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I'll stick with a gun. I don't go to the range and invest thousands of dollars in guns to use a screwdriver as my first line of defense defense.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
My son just completed a CCW permit class led by a Deputy Sherrif. The class was told to buy a bunch of screw drivers and keep them in every car door compartment in every vehicle they own. Screwdrivers are not considered weapons yet can inflict pain upon an attacker when deployed properly: jabs to the neck, face, eyes, ears, etc can disorient a would be car-jacker and allow for escape or time to get to another weapon.

Located in each door, they could be quickly accessed if someone were to attempt to enter or pull you out of the car. That's the theory, and I'm certain that many DC members can punch a number of holes in it (no pun intended), but I found it to be worthy of consideration. I'd go for a good-sized phillips screw driver.

Thoughts?
If you're actually being carjacked why would you want something that is not considered a weapon?

"Hun, have you seen my anti-car-jacking non-weapon?"

"Oh sorry, I must have left it sticking in your mother's left ear. She startled me in the driveway"

:wink:

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
To hell with that. If you can, accelerate your 4,000 lb weapon and run the jackwagon over. If you can't accelerate, options 2-4 as specified above by farsidefan. Use the screwdriver to adjust holster tension afterwards.
We have carjackings in this area all the time. Usually at filling stations or party stores. Here is a video of a carjacking. At which point should the victim have used his screwdriver? This guy got off lucky.
Detroit carjackers hung up by important aspect of vehicle theft, starting the car | MLive.com

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The point of carjacking is to catch you not ready! It's the same with home invasion. Carjacking came about because alarm systems have made it so hard to steal a car the old way. It became easier to take it after it was already running. Most cars are Jacked in traffic at a busy light. It happens fast in a situation where you can't drive away[ Or they aren't doing it right!] Where carjacking is most common they sell anti jacking technology. It's a key fob that lets the car drive away but disables the engine about 100 yards down the road. At that point the thieves run away.

If you are going to fight them off it has to be with what you already have in your hands. Thats why I kind of get the have something ready in every car door pocket. DR

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I use a small screwdriver in my shirt pocket as another option. I don't like having the limited options that are available with just the car the gun and what ever you wish you had thought of before. I have other options too because I try to prepare for as many situations as may arise. Kind of like the saying of having a gun and not needing it is better than not having a gun when it is needed. If you try you can carry a virtual arsenal around and nobody is the wiser. Especially in your vehicle.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
It really depends on the situation, like all these scenarios. Is he trying to get in the driver's door, the passenger door, or one of the rear doors. Very different scenarios. Does he have a gun or some other kind of weapon, or is he just strong-arming you? Again, very different response. I have tried to think through what I would do in each combination, but rather than tell you what I've come up with, it's better that you come up with your own and rehearse them.

If it is the driver's side door, an improvised weapon I think a lot of people don't think about is the door itself. A car door, pushed open suddenly, especially if combined with the car lurching forward, may know him on his butt.

I wouldn't use a screwdriver (unless it was made with really good vodka! - sorry). Even if you are going to use something like that, there are better puncture weapons. For a last resort, nothing else available a screwdriver might be OK, but I wouldn't plan on it.

I have a .38 +P snubby in my center console that I can draw really quickly. I have a knife that friction fits nicely into the drivers' seat mechanism about 12" below my right knee, although I am toying with ways to get a fixed blade velcro'ed to the steering column. I also have a "tire knocker," a two-foot long 1.5" dowel made of ironwood, sticking out of the left side of the base of the driver's seat. It is harder than a nightstick and I have had some training in short stick work.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I carry a pocket knife and a gun everyday. Those are my options. Well, that and just driving away.

Truth be told, if they let me get my kids out, they can have the truck, it's insured. If they don't? Well...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
a screw driver? really? That's what they come up with as a "plan".

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
A. Run him down
B. 410 to the face
C. Really bad things happen then

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Sorry you live in a state that doesn't respect your right to protection. In Texas your car is considered an extension of your home. (You do not need a license to have a concealed firearm in your car in Texas).

Reactions: MB53

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Manual transmission, half the guys working at the oil change place that does my inspection sticker can't drive stick so I figure 99.99% of carjackers can't either.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Anyone that deserves to be stabbed with a screwdriver deserves to be shot. It worries me that someone teaching a concealed carry class would give such bad advice.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Geez, tough crowd.

A screwdriver is an option, having an option is always good. All sorts of things can happen, they could catch me by surprise then frisk and disarm me, maybe even attempt to kidnap me, but it's very unlikely for them to expect a screwdriver coming out of nowhere.

As an aside, the tip of a Chinese Norinco SKS bayonet is flat, about the size of a large screwdriver. If that flat tip can work as a bayonet...

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Seems to me that one or two of those shark-deterrent "Bang Sticks" would be handy. Maybe a livestock "Shock Prod"? But I like ...a G19!

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
In Finland where even Pepper Spray (and possibly screwdrivers?) are illegal . They (really are promoting this nonsense) believe in The Force!

https://youtu.be/J6kjvWKuVkE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Geez, tough crowd.

A screwdriver is an option, having an option is always good. All sorts of things can happen, they could catch me by surprise then frisk and disarm me, maybe even attempt to kidnap me, but it's very unlikely for them to expect a screwdriver coming out of nowhere...
Sure its an option, an option for when you have no plan, have not thought things through and its the only thing available. Would you want to put out a fire with handfuls of dirt or would you rather have a extinguisher? I realize that in some places the law may prohibit the use of some types of weapon and in those instances, I understand and would abide by the law.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts