Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are times I cannot carry the P365 with me and must leave it in the car.

I'd like to get a basic / cheap vault / safe for the car. Something like the little lock boxes with a cable that you can wrap around the seat frame or put in the trunk etc. I'm actually eyeing the Bulldog vaults as it has the bracket that can be hard mounted to the car.

With that said, I really would much prefer that I remove the gun + holster as a unit and place the gun + holster into the vault. While I suspect I can manage the unholster and reholster, I honestly prefer to leave them together to reduce chances of a ND.

So will these small under-seat vaults be big enough to hold a P365 in a IWB kydex holster? How about something like the N82 Professional or a Crossbreed MiniTuck with the P365? I don't really foresee having any holster bigger than that for this gun.

Anything the experts here might specifically recommend? Or anything to stay away from just because it is too small and not particularly versatile when it comes to different holsters?

EDIT: Prefer key or combination?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
My problem is when you types CHEAP .

Cheap safes are a breeze to break in to . THink not !! check out some you tube videos .

Buy a FAS1 or Ft. Knox handgun safe with a simplex lock and no added key lock or combo roller lock . Push the buttons and twist on a simplex lock .

We have two Fort Knox vehicle safes . Ones bolted in the trunk ones short chained not cabled under the car seat so no one can get to the chains bolt with out getting into the safe first .

·
Registered
488 Posts
The V-line lockboxes are reasonably priced and use a proven mechanical push button simplex combination lock. They don't come when a cable but you can buy one separately.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
There is a great YouTube channel called The Lock Picking Lawyer. He is also a gun guy. He has reviewed a bunch of gun safes and to this point, he has not found one he cannot get into very quickly, sometimes without lock picking tools. Also, he shows how security cables are ridiculously easy to cut with a pair of side cutters if you know the technique.

A good point made on the Lucky Gunner site is that most small gun safes are "safety" devices, not "security" devices, meaning that they prevent unauthorized access, like by children, but most will not withstand a determined attack from a thief, even for 30 seconds.

Some "gold standard" criteria:
  • 5-button Simplex lock, never an electronic lock. Also, some other mechanical push button locks can be "bumped" open.
  • Heavy steel
  • Bolted to the car floor, not cabled.
  • No back up key lock - this is a vulnerability
  • The safe and all other valuables are kept out of sight
Of course any safe is better than nothing, it might slow people down, but just don't get to thinking your gun still can't be stolen and fairly quickly.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
There are three lessons every gun owner needs to learn about guns and vehicles.

1) Don't leave a gun in the car - ever. If you must leave it in the car, go to number two. If you plan to leave it in the car all day, or much worse, all night, leave the gun at home. Seriously.

2) The purpose of any vehicle mounted gun safe is TIME. The safe forces a would-be thief to spend valuable time to either open the safe, or remove it from the car. Time is a thief's greatest enemy, next to alarms. The amount of time a thief needs to gain access to the gun means he is totally vulnerable to being caught (or worse).

3) The only "impregnable" gun safe is one built by the folks that build bank vaults. You will need about a million dollars and a quality 18 wheel semi and trailer to carry it around with you though. Kind of defeats the purpose. Don't buy the old adage that "the more money you spend on a little gun safe, the better protected your gun is." If you do, go back and start over at #1. You don't need to spend 4-5 hundred dollars for a vehicle safe. They won't buy you any more time than the less expensive ones.

If you just have to have one, this one works equally well in a car or as a child-proof storage at home.

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-Style-Pistols-Black/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gun+vault+nano&qid=1591455687&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

I say all this because I have been on a number of calls for gun thefts. The most memorable one was a guy who invested in an uber-expensive bolt down vault that went in the bed of a pickup truck. The thief literally totaled out the truck in the process of stealing all the expensive rifles and shotguns in that idiot thing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
While any safe can be compromised, if you are trying to buy time so the thief moves on 18GA steel and tiny cables won't buy you any. Most of the inexpensive under seat safes just provide a false sense of security.

The Bulldog box that slides inside the mounting bracket seems a little more secure than most, especially when bolted down under a seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought this one for the exact same reason. I leave the gun in the holster and remove them together and place them in the safe together. I got the XXL version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W85Q9F0/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_.t52EbKG3AN5E
Great this is definitely one I was looking at but knowing you got the XXL for the P365 + holster is helpful.

Some of the other recommendations are helpful as well and likely something I would consider maybe for the home. But for this car setup, I'm really just looking for the "locked up" criterion and the "slow them down" aspect of it. I'm not looking for uber security. I'm not expecting a thief with a cable cutter not to be able to get it. Just want it secured enough or better than tossing it in the glovebox kinda setup.

I think I had also watched that YouTube channel and if I recall Vaultek seemed to be quite secure overall. They do make an interesting one the Life Pod. https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-view-all-lifepod-series/lifepod/ It is expensive though and might be overkill.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Great this is definitely one I was looking at but knowing you got the XXL for the P365 + holster is helpful.

Some of the other recommendations are helpful as well and likely something I would consider maybe for the home. But for this car setup, I'm really just looking for the "locked up" criterion and the "slow them down" aspect of it. I'm not looking for uber security. I'm not expecting a thief with a cable cutter not to be able to get it. Just want it secured enough or better than tossing it in the glovebox kinda setup.

I think I had also watched that YouTube channel and if I recall Vaultek seemed to be quite secure overall. They do make an interesting one the Life Pod. https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-view-all-lifepod-series/lifepod/ It is expensive though and might be overkill.
FWIW, The Lock Picking Lawyer channel on YouTube shows how to get into a LifePod in 20 seconds using only a common household fork. A knife would work also.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
If you have a compatible vehicle, Console Vault makes safes that fit into the existing console.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Few years back I bought a Hornady Triple lock or traveling to my wifes reunion it is heavy duty has a barrel key but the plus IMO it has a adjustable horseshoe so that if you are staying in a hotel/motel you can attach to something solid and its locked by lockit safe with a key. It holds my 1911 and BUG, at the time I believe it was $50 and it is solid.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I hope none of you find how easy it is to open a safe lock the above mentioned thin metal or plastic or barrel locked or other cheap safes . Please spend some time on YouTube before buying as the one you guyss think are good enough are easily opened .

I learn how bad barrel locks are when a buddy had the fork on his HD custom unlocked and rolled his bike away while we all were eating dinner in daytona years ago . IT never turned up so probably went over seas .

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I hope none of you find how easy it is to open a safe lock the above mentioned thin metal or plastic or barrel locked or other cheap safes . Please spend some time on YouTube before buying as the one you guyss think are good enough are easily opened .

I learn how bad barrel locks are when a buddy had the fork on his HD custom unlocked and rolled his bike away while we all were eating dinner in daytona years ago . IT never turned up so probably went over seas .
Amazon sells barrel lock picks for about $35 for a set of three. The Lock Picking Lawyer shows how these will unlock a barrel lock almost as fast as a key.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd like to get a basic / cheap vault / safe for the car. Something like the little lock boxes with a cable that you can wrap around the seat frame or put in the trunk etc.

Their only good for the honest thieves. I have one in my truck and Mustang.

Like most everything in life, I don't waste my time worrying about it. If some little thug steals my stuff, oh well, their is worse stuff that can happen, like getting hit by a speeding bus while jaywalking.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Few years back I bought a Hornady Triple lock or traveling to my wifes reunion it is heavy duty has a barrel key but the plus IMO it has a adjustable horseshoe so that if you are staying in a hotel/motel you can attach to something solid and its locked by lockit safe with a key. It holds my 1911 and BUG, at the time I believe it was $50 and it is solid.
The Lock Picking Lawyer site actually gave that a decent review, which is pretty rare on that site. It has pry protection and the lock has pin springs of varying tension, so it can't be picked with the $35 Amazon barrel picking tools. It can be picked fairly easily by a skilled picker with the right tools, but very few thieves are skilled at lock picking or have the tools. I may get one of those myself.

The cable, however, could be defeated by someone with good pair of side cutters or a cordless dremel tool in about 30 seconds, but that might be too much planning/work for most thieves. It looks as good an option as I have seen for the money. To get better, you might be in the $200 range.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Like anything else not all barrel (tubular) locks are the same. While all electronic safes that use this type of lock for a backup entry pretty much buy the cheapest one available that will do the job. Security seems to never be a consideration.

I use the Camlock T8 radial pin tumbler lock on some applications and it's pretty good for it's price point. I use it to increase security by being able to deadbolt the Simplex lock when quick access isn't needed. While I usually think of any key as another access point, I think for my application the benefits outweigh the potential liability to compromise it.

https://www.camlock.com/en-us/cylinders/cam-lock/series-t8-cam-lock

You could probably replace a cheap lock on a lock box with it since they are available in the three most common lengths if you are concerned about someone getting in your lock too easily.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
While I know any device man can invent can be defeated, it remains that there are times when we must lock a weapon in our vehicles. I chose the Hornady box, but modified it to use a 5/16" hardened chain bolted to the truck. It will help.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
jmf I normally do not use the cable option as the horseshoe is steel and I hook it to the seat frame and cable cutter do not work on it.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
jmf I normally do not use the cable option as the horseshoe is steel and I hook it to the seat frame and cable cutter do not work on it.
I am interested. What do you mean by "horseshoe?" How does it attach to the safe? Do you have a picture of that? Where did you get it? I can't visualize what you are describing.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
While I know any device man can invent can be defeated, it remains that there are times when we must lock a weapon in our vehicles. I chose the Hornady box, but modified it to use a 5/16" hardened chain bolted to the truck. It will help.
How did you modify it to use the chain? Got pics?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts