Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered how this would go down if I was pulled over. Well, today on my way to work I got t-boned by
a red light runner.

Even though in New Mexico I don't have a duty to inform, I gave him my license & CCW permit anyways. Cop immediately
handed my permit back to me, and said "just don't touch it, I assume everyone is carrying legally or illegally."

Very cool cop, and didn't even seem at all concerned about disarming me. However he wouldn't let me
near the uninsured + no registration red light runner. All in all, good experience (except for the wreck)

I guess i can scratch that concern off my list.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Probably a good thing of the officer keeping both parties separated. No good is going to come from it anyway.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
291 Posts
Often they take it separately and put it on the report. If you're lucky they'll provide it to you without you having to get the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Doesn't really matter, she had no insurance, or proof of registration. Par for the course here in New Mexico. Which
is why if you ever live here, get non insured motorist insurance. It's a must, seriously.
Was she from south of the border? My friends got hit by an illegal and he tried to run. The axle broke on his jeep and it ground to a halt. Dude hopped out and took off on foot. There was a cop up the street and saw the guy running and he got caught.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was she from south of the border? My friends got hit by an illegal and he tried to run. The axle broke on his jeep and it ground to a halt. Dude hopped out and took off on foot. There was a cop up the street and saw the guy running and he got caught.
I don't believe so. I didn't hear what she was saying to the cop, but it wasn't broken english or spanish. I got t-boned by an illegal in 2001. The drivers kid got out to check on me, but the father quickly rushed him back in and took off. He was caught later that day. That kid tried to do the right thing, hopefully his father didn't screw that up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You handled yourself very well and were considerate and respectful in advising the officer that you had a gun. He, in turn, was professional and treated you courteously as you deserved. Especially in light of recent events, police officers everywhere are on edge. Even the most routine calls are being dispatched automatically with back-up units. And, police officers are also now more than ever careful in responding and not rushing in to answer calls. They first must now be concerned with protecting themselves. Ambushing cops? After Dallas this will become the "new normal."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You handled yourself very well and were considerate and respectful in advising the officer that you had a gun. He, in turn, was professional and treated you courteously as you deserved. Especially in light of recent events, police officers everywhere are on edge. Even the most routine calls are being dispatched automatically with back-up units. And, police officers are also now more than ever careful in responding and not rushing in to answer calls. They first must now be concerned with protecting themselves. Ambushing cops? After Dallas this will become the "new normal."
Thanks, glad to hear that I handled myself well. Although I treat every cop with the utmost respect, and am sickened by the cowardly thugs attacking our officers. Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. You are spot on, before I knew it there was 2 back up cop cars in the middle of the intersection in addition to the cop I was interacting with.

I hate this new normal..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last time I was stopped I told the officer I had a weapon. He took it from me and said "I dont like talking to people who have guns." Bugs me to this day.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Doesn't really matter, she had no insurance, or proof of registration. Par for the course here in New Mexico. Which
is why if you ever live here, get non insured motorist insurance. It's a must, seriously.
That is par for the course everywhere. Their philosophy is that is doesn't cost anything not to have insurance. They don't care that we carry uninsured motorist coverage so that they can drive without coverage.

I just love the its free for me generation.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Glad you're OK. Car's can be replaced, not so easy to replace a body. As for the LEO, sounds like it went the way it should.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
cazmo Now that its a day later are you ok ?? Sometimes it takes a nights sleep to find out you can't even roll out of the bed with out help ! I never had an officer show any concern over me being legally armed .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cazmo Now that its a day later are you ok ?? Sometimes it takes a nights sleep to find out you can't even roll out of the bed with out help ! I never had an officer show any concern over me being legally armed .
I'm about the same as i was around this time yesterday. Minor aches and pains, but nothing serious. Thanks for the concern.

What I worry about is the officers that don't care for citizen carry, or a very stressed officer due to all the cowardly cop shootings lately.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had an accident 3 years ago. Other driver had no license. I stayed away and the cops took down my info and hers and exchanged it for us. I was busy making sure my 15 month old daughter was okay and didn't want to risk saying something inappropriate to the other driver. This was before I carried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts