Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
.....IMO, careless mishandling....I don't do that either.

·
Super Moderator
18,023 Posts
I have caught the ejected round many times and nothing like that has ever happened to me, I think from now on I will let the round hit the ground instead.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I have never saw, or even thought about a round going off while contained at both ends. A picture of the hand would be nice. They said he would never be able to make that mistake again. I would have thought serious burns and contusions from case rupturing. Sounds like it was worse than that.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I don't understand why folks want to put their hands and digits near quickly moving pieces of metal machinery (like a slide, using a thumbs high/forward grip) or near an explosive (like catching a live shell). I shoot with thumbs down, and never, ever try to catch a live cartridge.

Maybe someday that tactical will catch up with the practical.

Good head's up, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Good post. Yet there are a lot of folks that do this, even in videos (such as Paul Harrell's video on carrying with one in the chamber).

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Give this man a hand for being stupid..wait, too soon?

Edit: I'll give the guy a break, not in a million years would I have ever expected that to happen and I've seen a lot of weird things with guns. But, still, only cartridges belong that close to the ejection port.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I have never saw, or even thought about a round going off while contained at both ends. A picture of the hand would be nice. They said he would never be able to make that mistake again. I would have thought serious burns and contusions from case rupturing. Sounds like it was worse than that.
If his palm was in or near contact with the case when it ignited - yeah, that could be bad news.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I've never done this and have no intention of doing it in the future. What I've seen others do at times is eject the round then catch it in midair... something I have also never done. I eject onto a table or the floor or ground, then pick it up. This way I have control over what's taking place and I know where that cartridge is going to wind up.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I eject into the air and catch the ejected bullet. I also place my hand over the slide and rack the round out as this thread is discussing. I've gotten into the habit of thumb on slide stop so when I rack it hand over slide, the slide locks back and won't crush the shell IF the slide goes forward for some reason.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I am NOT asking this as a roundabout way of making a point; rather I am simply curious......Has anyone heard of an incendent where an ejected live round went off after hitting the ground? i.e., ejected round landed primer down on sharp piece of gravel?

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
I don't understand why folks want to put their hands and digits near quickly moving pieces of metal machinery (like a slide, using a thumbs high/forward grip) or near an explosive (like catching a live shell). I shoot with thumbs down, and never, ever try to catch a live cartridge.

Maybe someday that tactical will catch up with the practical.

Good head's up, thanks for the post.
I wouldn't base my opinion out of ignorance, "thumbs high" has been common practice since the 1930s (possibly before). Plenty of pictures in John Henry FitzGerald book "SHOOTING" first published in 1930.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts