Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wisconsin authorities said Sunday that a 13-year-old female carjacking suspect, as well as a driver who shot at the girl attempting to make a getaway, will both face criminal charges.

Robinson told police, according to the complaint, that he holds a concealed carry permit and believed it was his right to "defend his property."

·
Premium Member
38,197 Posts
That is not a carjacking, that was a theft. You cannot shoot someone for that, legally.
Thus endeth the story, no more to it than that. More sensationalizing headlines, designed to get everybody outraged.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
That is not a carjacking, that was a theft. You cannot shoot someone for that, legally.
True. The owner was not in or about his vehicle so it was a theft. Had he been in the vehicle or outside of it pumping fuel into it, then it would be a carjacking as I understand the term to mean.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
True. The owner was not in or about his vehicle so it was a theft. Had he been in the vehicle or outside of it pumping fuel into it, then it would be a carjacking as I understand the term to mean.
Legal or not, I would hope that I wouldn't shoot if I was pumping gas and they jumped in it and drove away. Would not want to have to deal with the aftermath. My car wouldn't be worth it.

If I'm inside of it, different story.

Edit: one exception to the outside scenario would be if I had someone inside the car. That would certainly make a difference!

The gas cap on my wife's car is on the passenger side. I hate that. I don't like being on the opposite side from the driver's door. The simple solution is to lock it, though.

·
Registered
43,531 Posts
Let me check my sympathy basket and see if I have any left for her.

·
Premium Member
38,197 Posts
The gas cap on my wife's car is on the passenger side. I hate that. I don't like being on the opposite side from the driver's door. The simple solution is to lock it, though.
The theory is that if you are ever on the side of the road out of gas, you won't have to be alongside passing traffic as you refuel. At least that's what Atef, our Subaru salesman told us...

Reactions: rlggray

·
Super Moderator
18,740 Posts
I have never understood why someone would just abandon a car and leave it running, that is just an invitation for theft. That was his first mistake the second was shooting at a fleeing criminal.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The theory is that if you are ever on the side of the road out of gas, you won't have to be alongside passing traffic as you refuel. At least that's what Atef, our Subaru salesman told us...
Maybe that is some manufacturers' thought process, but I feel like an unsavory encounter at the gas station is at least as likely as me running out of gas.

I have seen an advantage to passenger side fill up on a couple of occasions, though. I have pulled into a station when everyone is going around to the right side of the pumps. Pulling to the left side of the pump means I get gas faster.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I have never understood why someone would just abandon a car and leave it running, that is just an invitation for theft. That was his first mistake the second was shooting at a fleeing criminal.
Especially if you are refueling.
He was defending his property not his life so charges seem appropriate.
Unless you're in Texas. Unless things there have changed.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Two really stupid decisions by the car owner, one for the thief. Both lost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Robinson told police, according to the complaint, that he holds a concealed carry permit and believed it was his right to "defend his property." Robinson also told police he attempted to shoot out the back tire of the car and when he realized he was shooting inside of the vehicle, he stopped.

Robinson should have kept his mouth shut and let his attorney do the talking. He dug himself into the hole he's sitting in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should be able to.

It is quite simple, cars and many other items are very expensive and represent a huge part of ones time.

Time is life. When you steal from me, you are taking my life.
An interesting counter argument.

Didn’t they hang people who stole horses in the wild west or is that just a myth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
38,197 Posts
You should be able to.

It is quite simple, cars and many other items are very expensive and represent a huge part of ones time.

Here you go, countries with the death penalty for theft: Afghanistan, Algeria, Cameroon, China, Iran, Saudi Arab, Iraq, and North Korea.

Reactions: entertainment72

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
You should be able to.

Then lobby to have the law changed.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts