Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
15,250 Posts
Legal or not, I would hope that I wouldn't shoot if I was pumping gas and they jumped in it and drove away. Would not want to have to deal with the aftermath. My car wouldn't be worth it.

If I'm inside of it, different story.

Edit: one exception to the outside scenario would be if I had someone inside the car. That would certainly make a difference!

The gas cap on my wife's car is on the passenger side. I hate that. I don't like being on the opposite side from the driver's door. The simple solution is to lock it, though.
Don't leave your keys in with the engine running. It is fairly stupid to pump gas while the motor is running.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
You should be able to.

It is quite simple, cars and many other items are very expensive and represent a huge part of ones time.

Time is life. When you steal from me, you are taking my life.
That's a bit over the top, IMHO. We are talking about wasting some of your time versus possibly killing someone. That is two radically different definitions of "life."

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That is not a carjacking, that was a theft. You cannot shoot someone for that, legally.
What he said. The headline was poorly written (perhaps intentionally - to garner clicks?).

FTR, I believe you can add Missouri to the list of states where it is legal to use deadly force in defense of your property.
Also it is, in some locations, illegal to leave your car running while unattended. You are also not supposed to pump gas with the motor running (If the owner was pumping gas)
Personally, to me, it's just a car, it can be replaced. I have insurance. But I also don't leave my car running and unattended out in public.

·
Registered
15,250 Posts
What he said. The headline was poorly written (perhaps intentionally - to garner clicks?).

FTR, I believe you can add Missouri to the list of states where it is legal to use deadly force in defense of your property.
Also it is, in some locations, illegal to leave your car running while unattended. You are also not supposed to pump gas with the motor running (If the owner was pumping gas)
Personally, to me, it's just a car, it can be replaced. I have insurance. But I also don't leave my car running and unattended out in public.
That is why I have auto start in 2 of my 3 vehicles.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Here you go, countries with the death penalty for theft: Afghanistan, Algeria, Cameroon, China, Iran, Saudi Arab, Iraq, and North Korea.
See, this is my chance to sound reasonable: Not death, exile with pain of death if one returns.
That's a bit over the top, IMHO. We are talking about wasting some of your time versus possibly killing someone. That is two radically different definitions of "life."
Well, in order to properly purchase something, you have to trade some part of your life. Someone taking that from you is taking away part of your life. Even if you have "insurance" you still never get back what you paid for your things. So if in the heat of the moment, you can act to prevent someone from forcibly taking your things from you, you should not face punishment for doing so. This is different from trying to hunt someone down after the fact that you only suspect may have taken it. For those convicted of doing so, exile with pain of death if they return.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Well, in order to properly purchase something, you have to trade some part of your life. Someone taking that from you is taking away part of your life. Even if you have "insurance" you still never get back what you paid for your things. So if in the heat of the moment, you can act to prevent someone from forcibly taking your things from you, you should not face punishment for doing so. This is different from trying to hunt someone down after the fact that you only suspect may have taken it. For those convicted of doing so, exile with pain of death if they return.
You should move to one of those listed countries if you feel that way. That is not the way the law sees things here, nor should it.

Bottom line is you should never shoot someone you don't absolutely have to.

·
Registered
673 Posts
See, this is my chance to sound reasonable: Not death, exile with pain of death if one returns.

Taking a life and taking a time out of one's life while still leaving them living and breathing are two different things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Taking a life and taking a time out of one's life while still leaving them living and breathing are two different things.
I think it’s not equal for all people. I think some people there is a threshold of when they feel it is necessary to use deadly force even if it’s just property.

For instance, I wonder how many people would kill someone who kills their dog intentionally? In the eyes of the law, the dog is just property. I doubt everyone agrees with that.

I personally wouldn’t shoot someone stealing my car but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
You should move to one of those listed countries if you feel that way. That is not the way the law sees things here, nor should it.

Bottom line is you should never shoot someone you don't absolutely have to.
I disagree. I think that our legal system has evolved into a monster that is more interested in consolidating power than it is in enforcing justice.
No, you should not kill unless you have to. But the act of robbery is an initiation of force against you.
Well of course.
But if you work for what you own, then that is time of your life that you have traded in order to get it. Someone taking it without having earned it from you, is a theft of part of your life that you can never get back. Sure, you can get the things back, but not without extra effort on your part. If you think that someone else's life is worth that part, then so be it. But you have no right to tell someone else that they MUST do the same.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Broad daylight. No threat of violence. Driving away (not toward) you... Frustrating as hell, yes. But not worthy of lethal force. Certainly not worth losing your freedom. Bad decision on the victim's part.

That said, if the little criminal were to die, I'd not shed a tear. That'd be one less future career felon to house and feed.

FWIW, in Texas, you can use deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony after dark. 5:30
is just a few hours too early to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I disagree. I think that our legal system has evolved into a monster that is more interested in consolidating power than it is in enforcing justice.
No, you should not kill unless you have to. But the act of robbery is an initiation of force against you.
Well of course.
But if you work for what you own, then that is time of your life that you have traded in order to get it. Someone taking it without having earned it from you, is a theft of part of your life that you can never get back. Sure, you can get the things back, but not without extra effort on your part. If you think that someone else's life is worth that part, then so be it. But you have no right to tell someone else that they MUST do the same.
Then restitution and having to replace things that weren't recovered makes more logical sense than the argument you are making.

Even if the stuff isn't recovered and the perp gets away, the time and money used to buy stuff that is being stolen is not the equivalent to taking someones life. Time spent working to pay for stuff is still time spent living, breathing, learning, etc. It's also not worth the risk of firing shots that could potentially hit people or damage other's property while attempting to protect stuff. It's all around a bad idea and concept that will only fly in 3rd world and communists countries.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have never understood why someone would just abandon a car and leave it running, that is just an invitation for theft. That was his first mistake the second was shooting at a fleeing criminal.
Don't have any sympathy for either one of them. Seeing the picture of the guy you'd think he'd be fit enough to turn off the key, maybe he should start working out. I don't see how that incident could be called a car jacking, no weapons or force was involved, just lazy stupidness on the car owners part. Leave your car running or key in the ignition you get what you deserve.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Here you go, countries with the death penalty for theft: Afghanistan, Algeria, Cameroon, China, Iran, Saudi Arab, Iraq, and North Korea.
I'm glad that I don't live there.....or California.

·
Super Moderator
20,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
It would suck if you didn't have a car or some other way to get to work or to a grocery store.......especially in rural areas. Dominos doesn't deliver everywhere.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts