Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, do any of you folks carry a knife as opposed to a gun? With as many pocket pistols as there are today, I wanted to know if any of us on here prefer to carry a knife instead!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I highly doubt anybody on this site would choose a knife over a gun, except where necessary by law. I carry a knife in addition to a firearm, but mostly as a tool not a defensive weapon.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I carry a pocket knife in places where j can have a knife but not a gun, like my SIL's house

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Prefer to have both, but there are occasions when I only carry a knife. The only reason I do so is legality.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Out of curiosity, do any of you folks carry a knife as opposed to a gun? With as many pocket pistols as there are today, I wanted to know if any of us on here prefer to carry a knife instead!
Prefer to have both, myself, whenever able to do so.

Occasionally, where I'm either prohibited by law to carry a firearm or where my clothing makes carrying a knife simpler (ie, hard to conceal a 1911 in a pair of Speedos).

Also, on the rare occasions I am in a state where I don't have CHL coverage, I carry a knife instead of firearm there.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I carry a knife while I'm diving. On dry land I carry a handgun.

·
Banned
716 Posts
but never take a knife to a gun fight.
TX expat said:
I have a policy of never bringing a knife to a gun fight...
There are actually in-your-face situations where the knife can beat the gun in the fight.

While I carry both, there can be H2H fights where the knife may be more accessible (or perhaps preferable) to draw over the gun.

I prefer my Cold Steel Spartan as a back-up over something like a Keltec .32 any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
There are actually in-your-face situations where the knife can beat the gun in the fight.

While I carry both, there can be H2H fights where the knife may be more accessible (or perhaps preferable) to draw over the gun.

I prefer my Cold Steel Spartan as a back-up over something like a Keltec .32 any day of the week.
The critical word being 'can'. It then becomes about the knife (a one inch pocket knife vs. a fighting blade) and the skill of the operator. Personally, I know my limitations enough to know that there are almost zero defensive situations where going to my 3 inch Mini-Grip is going to be, in any way, tactically advantageous. Your Spartan is probably better suited to H2H encounters, so I can see why you'd be OK with going to it!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Well I carry all kinds of stuff because it seems that most dirtbags out there never want go one on one that being said at my age I give myself the advantage and I cheat so that I can spend more time with my beautiful wife.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
If one had to make the choice, I do not understand why one would choose a knife over a gun as an every day defensive weapon.

·
Registered
620 Posts
In real close quarters a knife is devastating, and they don't jam or run out of ammo. Hard to have a ND, or to cause a bunch of collateral damage.

I always have a knife, but it is rarely lonely.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I always carry a knife since it's useful as a tool and for multiple everyday tasks. Unfortunately, there are times where I can't carry a gun (work, out of state, etc.) so a knife is all I have...

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
yep... me too. Knife and a gun except where it is illegal.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I usually carry both, but unfortunately I can't sometimes. In TX, a 51% establishment (one that gets that much or more revenue from on premises alcohols sales) has no say whether or not it wants to allow CHLers to carry, the alcoholic beverage code decides for them, only LEOs are exempt. When I am in a place that is 51% and know in advance I make sure to carry at least one concealable knife and a small OC spray as well. Not the solution I'd like (I rarely drink personally, but my friends do and I don't live in a cave) but it is the best I have come up with. I have also considered getting a stun device but have not done so yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always carry a knife. As has been said it is a tool and a means of defense. The additional benefit I have found is that when I deal with gun phobic friends it has always been effective as an example of carrying potentially lethal force but not using it, brandishing it, etc. Both weapons require a conscious decision to draw and use, and the fact that I have been in their home or out socially with them and never drew the knife is the same comfort they should have with my other defensive tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I used to live in NYC so I carried a knife for most of my life. However, if we are talking defense I rather carry my NAA mini revolver than a knife. A knife fight is close up and rather messy. Both winner and loser usually end up getting cut. I have 28 stitches just in my head from fights. Nonetheless, I still have a knife handy. There is a small one hanging from my keychain and one in the car. I also sometimes wear neck knifes. It is far easier to cut a box open than shooting it open. I also have a SpyderCo Matriach for when I go to places where guns are not allowed. I also on occasion will carry a knife in my offhand pocket in case I need it to prevent someone from taking my gun from me. But then again, like today, my NAA mini revolver was my choice as it is very lightweight and will do more than a pocket knife would.

I see no reason for a person with a ccw permit to limit themselves to edged weapons where firearms are legally permitted. I also know a few people who are well trained in knife fighting and they will occasionally carry a large fixed blade rather than a gun depending on circumstances. My point of view as both a knife and gun collector is why limit yourself to a weapon that requires you be at arms length distance when you can have something that will strike out at further distances.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Carrying a firearm is a pain at times and not legal in many places. Carrying a knife is easy and means you have a useful tool close at hand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts