Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I personally carry Hornady Custom 158gr XTP's in my 3" SP101.

Heard good things about Gold Dots but haven't seen any in my area and I try to buy local as much as I can.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
When my hands could handle 357 I carried Corbon 125gr. SJHP. I also carried Federal Classic 125gr. SJHP. Now that my hands are old I carry Speer Gold Dot 135gr. 38+P. The 357 ammo is a little too much for the arthritis.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Gold Dot SB or Hornady CD should do the trick. Full mag loads in the 2.25" are brutal, but since it's for SD use, I'd go with one of those over 38 SP+P.

Buffalo Bore makes several 357 and 38 SP+P loads that would get my vote also.

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Gold Dot SB or Hornady CD should do the trick. Full mag loads in the 2.25" are brutal, but since it's for SD use, I'd go with one of those over 38 SP+P.

Buffalo Bore makes several 357 and 38 SP+P loads that would get my vote also.
Great link (the GD). All the info you need to see without a lot of crud.
I was surprised to see bullet drop in a 158gr 357 on par with a 230gr 45acp at 100 yds. I didn't expect as much drop.

·
Registered
368 Posts
+1 on Buffalo Bore. They have a Tactical Short Barrel Low Recoil .357 load that is very good. I also like the .38 Spl. +p 158 gr. Outdoorsman load. They also have several loads with copper bullets available as well. Quality products that are well-tested. I can't remember the last time I've seen the GD Short Barrel loads in the shops around here.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
If you can find them, Federal Premium .38Spl +P 158Gr. NYCLAD SWC-HP
Plenty for the short barrel SP101. Very effective old FBI round.
Lacking that, I think the Buffalo Bore +P are the way to go.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
As long as you stay away from heavy hunting loads that will blow through three people, you would be hard pressed to find a bad load for self defense in .357 Mag.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
As long as you stay away from heavy hunting loads that will blow through three people, you would be hard pressed to find a bad load for self defense in .357 Mag.
Three dirt bags with one shot? I'm down with that. Just think, my low capacity SP101 could stop 15 aggressors....cool.

GD SBs for me in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I carry Winchester PDX1, 130gr, .38spl+p and 125gn .357mag in my SP.

(different ammo in picture)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
To answer the OP, I use Hornady Critical Defense 125 gr .357 Mag. The pointy tips make loading the cylinder under stress much easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts