Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some LE or lawyer members can help me understand this.

I carry everyday and was invited to happy hour after work. I figure I had a couple options:

Unload and Lock my pistol in the lockbox in my truck.
Decline and carry home.
Carry and risk it. I have always had a zero tolerance for drinking and firearms, it is just common sense.

Either way, I was curious about the law and looked up MN statue 624.7142 subdivision 1 states you can be arrested pertaining to alcohol if the following occur:
(4) when the person is under the influence of alcohol;
(5) when the person's alcohol concentration is 0.10 or more; or
(6) when the person's alcohol concentration is less than 0.10, but more than 0.04.

That seems unclear to me. Under the influence or have a concentration of 0.04 or greater?

If you refuse a preliminary test and you are arrested, you have to submit to a test or your permit will be revoked and you will face civil penalties. For driving we have implied consent, but i don't recall any for a PTC. Can they invoke civil penalties? or does this violate the persons 4th and 5th amendment rights?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Looks to me like the limit is .04. I would also think the same legalities would apply as for a DUI or PI.

Of course, if you have a personal zero tolerance policy regarding drinking while carrying, it doesn't really matter anyway. It's a bridge you will never have to cross.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Came from florida when guns and bars or alcohol did not mix period . NC is ZERO alcohol if carry'n but you can inter . I have no problems with that at all . If you can't hang with the gang and drink a water or soda or some other no alcohol beverage , you may have an under lying problem . Beside someone has to drive the drinkers home , right!! I did enough stupid thangs when young , drinking heavy was one of them . I got my CC back in '88 and stopped drinking alcohol . Now study your states law and make good common sense decisions .

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Maybe some LE or lawyer members can help me understand this.

I carry everyday and was invited to happy hour after work. I figure I had a couple options:

Unload and Lock my pistol in the lockbox in my truck.
Decline and carry home.
Carry and risk it. I have always had a zero tolerance for drinking and firearms, it is just common sense.

Either way, I was curious about the law and looked up MN statue 624.7142 subdivision 1 states you can be arrested pertaining to alcohol if the following occur:
(4) when the person is under the influence of alcohol;
(5) when the person's alcohol concentration is 0.10 or more; or
(6) when the person's alcohol concentration is less than 0.10, but more than 0.04.

That seems unclear to me. Under the influence or have a concentration of 0.04 or greater?

If you refuse a preliminary test and you are arrested, you have to submit to a test or your permit will be revoked and you will face civil penalties. For driving we have implied consent, but i don't recall any for a PTC. Can they invoke civil penalties? or does this violate the persons 4th and 5th amendment rights?
the way it reads here, it appears that #4 precludes any measured blood-alcohol level. (or was there more to that line after the ";"?).

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I don't ever. If I do, I put the gun away before so there is no issue.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
the way it reads here, it appears that #4 precludes any measured blood-alcohol level. (or was there more to that line after the ";"?).
We have a winner!
If something happens while carrying or more importantly using a firearm, having any measurable amount of alcohol can be considered "under the influence". Going to court to beat it would be expensive and time consuming.
My motto is not to be a test case.

This is my personal understanding of MN carry law.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Being the stone sober guy in a group may also give you a knew out look on how your " friends " act as the alcohol lever goes up . Should help with making your choice about drinking alcohol easy . Might even change who you decide to be around in general after seeing how foolish some act after a couple oz of alcohol and wondering were you would have fit in while have'n a couple !!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I often choose to remain (comPLETEly) sober at restaurants/bars and sports/social events. I didn't always feel compelled to do so. As I've (s-l-o-w-l-y) become wiser, it's become almost entertainment to watch/listen to the various effects...of alcohol. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you CC then the best plan is to drink at home if you have a need to drink alcohol. Any public consumption puts you at
risk of losing your CC license, or at the very least spending several thousand dollars defending yourself. And that one beer or
cocktail is definitely not worth the price of legal defense.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Since you actually ask that question on public forum you have you are now limited to going home or locking in car.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts