Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate feedback/insights on the topic of reasons for carry and potential defensive scenarios on your own rural land ---

We have over 150 acres of wooded rural property; although much land is open, there are multiple areas of our land that are relatively deeply hidden; all the land is virtually totally hidden from public view whatsoever. We have several places where we coordinate things like gardening/poultry operations, orchard, workshop with tools/equipment/shed/tractor shop/container storage, a place we go to sit by a stream and a house site. These places are relatively distant from each other and from any one the others can't be seen. I frequently walk the property or alternately sometimes quickly survey what's happening by motorcycle, and in these cases I could arrive at any of the places mentioned very quietly or quickly.

Recently we had a lock cut from a public road gate and a theft. Previously, I've thought I don't need to generally be prepared for self defense, now I'm changing my mind.

Would appreciate hearing thoughts about carry on your own rural land. For a week or so, I've believed I might open carry a large, imposing piece. Now, I'm changing that thought and believe going small and concealed is probably best. We are CCW holders so no problem with either. Reasons for concealed carry is I don't want be flashing a weapon when going out to check the mail and I like the idea of having the element of surprise on my side, and honestly I might never remotely need the piece so I want something small and light and out-of-the way.

Regarding reasons for carrying, here are some scenarios I could imagine potentially happening...... Let's say I'm out walking and come across men who have brought a woman to the property for criminal activity and my arrival startles them and they approach me with the intention of eliminating the witness. Or, let's say I've been in my workshop area for hours and when returning to my house area I discover two people in the process of robbing the house. Or, let's say we're enjoying some time at our creek and a threatening person quickly appears? Or, let's say I'm quietly arriving at my workshop area and I discover my workshop being robbed and I'm approached menacingly by a person with a heavy metal breaker-bar with obvious intent to harm.

So, in each of those cases wouldn't it make sense to be carrying? Have any of you other rural property owners experienced one of those or similar incidents? Thanks for reading, thoughts/feedback appreciated ---

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Carry ALWAYS and have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Long version: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
Marine General James 'Mad Dog' Mattis

I carry on city streets, rural property, and at home.
A very good friend of mine was out by the cattle and always armed...except this one time. He walked by some brush and heard the warning, a rattlesnake...no gun.
He slowly backed away and decided that would never happen again.

Yes, always carry your weapon, for the snakes in the woods and the snakes in society.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
OP, you are, IMO, overthinking this. I too own rural property, some of it over 900 yards from the nearest county roadway. Other than hunting season, there is never a legitimate reason for anyone other than me being there. If I'm there, I'm carrying. If anyone else is there, they are trespassing. From there, it depends.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While I only have 20 acres, I almost always am strapped. I have no outbuildings, but there is a creek to cross and thick pines bordering the northern neighbor. Both are difficult to survey unless one is walking in/through them.

Between the next door neighbor's goofy (I'd say crazy but I don't think he is clinically) son in law occasionally trespassing (he's been warned and still manages to forget the exact property line) and wildlife spotted on the game camera, I keep a revolver on my hip OWB. I always have a cover garment but if it gets blown around or I feel the need to have immediate access, I lift it over and tuck it in my waist. For the most part its covered, but I don't worry about it being truly concealed.

Lately the daffy fella has been walking around (so far on their property) all camoed up and randomly shooting (this was before turkey season opened), sometimes at dusk. Should I bump into him I'd prefer to have iron. I also enjoy carrying my revolvers and walking the property gives me an excuse to do so.

I recommend carrying when traversing your property and wish you luck in doing so. Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I live in a semi-rural area with not as much property as you. I would not dream of walking around on any size parcel without carrying. Maybe there is less chance of someone coming onto your property than mine, but you are more isolated and there would probably be no witness if you had a confrontation. Unfortunately, there are evil people in the world, a concept that took me some time to wrap my head around. I don't underestimate people's willingness to take advantage of what they see as an opportunity.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

My family lives on small mountain property (3.5 acres) that is very near the progressive utopia of Boulder, CO. Though we are very close to town, we have been relatively unscathed by the rest of society who desire to leech off others. The only thing we have had stolen is a large bear proof trash can that has been confiscated by Yogi himself and is still missing. It is perfectly legal to OC here, and I frequently do, especially on weekends and evenings. I even carry a long arm if conditions warrant. However, I ALWAYS have a concealed carry weapon on my person, because it only takes one thug to decide your property is expressing a bit to much entitlement and you have real problems. In your situation, I would go for a full size duty auto or revolver in a good OWB better that can be quickly made discrete with a light cover garment if absolutely necessary. I would keep a good long gun (AR, Mini-14, Lever, Pump Shotgun, etc) easily available at the base of operations, and use alarm systems as much as practical, even if they are not monitored.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
My dirt, my rules. I may carry a social shotgun. Sometimes a carbine seems ideal. Regularly I OC my G24 (long slide GLOCK in .40 S&W) converted to .357 Sig via a KKM barrel. A mid-chest crossdraw (aka: Tanker's Holster) works well while I'm checking fences along the "back forty" aboard my 4-wheeler. Yet NEVER do I venture out without at LEAST a concealed G19 w/spare mag. First, because I like to shoot. Second, because I can. And third, because it provides "peace of mind". :yup:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
My dirt, my rules. I may carry a social shotgun. Sometimes a carbine seems ideal. Regularly I OC my G24 (long slide GLOCK in .40 S&W) converted to .357 Sig via a KKM barrel. A mid-chest crossdraw (aka: Tanker's Holster) works well while I'm checking fences along the "back forty" aboard my 4-wheeler. Yet NEVER do I venture out without at LEAST a concealed G19 w/spare mag. First, because I like to shoot. Second, because I can. And third, because it provides "peace of mind". :yup:
Yes. I moved "out" to get some property and to get away from much of the crazy. I am armed at home, on my property and when I leave. I know crazy can still find me....so I am ready.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Crazy can ALWAYS find us! IMHO, the real trick is to have deep ponds, hog lots or lime pits into which unwanted "trash" may be left..."undistrurbed". What happens on the Homeplace, STAYS on the Homeplace. :image035:

Reactions: Anubus

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
I always carry on my property. I carry concealed unless I am back in the woods, then I take a minimum of a 6" revolver in .357 or 44 magnum to deal with any threatening 2 or 4 legged critters. I mow 4+ acres weekly, and Im usually armed with my EDC, a 1911 in 45ACP.

Ive had to toss trespassers but its never gotten ugly... yet. I'm more concerned about bumping into people in the woods that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Living on rural land just means you have to be even more cautious and alert. If it does go bad response from local sheriffs would take way to long. Everyone shoots up here on the mountain so gunfire wouldn't draw much attention. Kind of on your own.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
"Rural property"? "multiple areas of our land that are relatively deeply hidden"? "virtually totally hidden from public view whatsoever"?

Hmm . . . let me fix this for you:
We have several places where we coordinate things like gardening/poultry operations, orchard, workshop . . .
Here you go:
We have several places where we coordinate things like marijuana grow/cock-fighting operations, moonshine, chop-shop . . .

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Would appreciate feedback/insights on the topic of reasons for carry and potential defensive scenarios on your own rural land ---

We have over 150 acres of wooded rural property; although much land is open, there are multiple areas of our land that are relatively deeply hidden; all the land is virtually totally hidden from public view whatsoever. We have several places where we coordinate things like gardening/poultry operations, orchard, workshop with tools/equipment/shed/tractor shop/container storage, a place we go to sit by a stream and a house site. These places are relatively distant from each other and from any one the others can't be seen. I frequently walk the property or alternately sometimes quickly survey what's happening by motorcycle, and in these cases I could arrive at any of the places mentioned very quietly or quickly.

Recently we had a lock cut from a public road gate and a theft. Previously, I've thought I don't need to generally be prepared for self defense, now I'm changing my mind.

Would appreciate hearing thoughts about carry on your own rural land. For a week or so, I've believed I might open carry a large, imposing piece. Now, I'm changing that thought and believe going small and concealed is probably best. We are CCW holders so no problem with either. Reasons for concealed carry is I don't want be flashing a weapon when going out to check the mail and I like the idea of having the element of surprise on my side, and honestly I might never remotely need the piece so I want something small and light and out-of-the way.

Regarding reasons for carrying, here are some scenarios I could imagine potentially happening...... Let's say I'm out walking and come across men who have brought a woman to the property for criminal activity and my arrival startles them and they approach me with the intention of eliminating the witness. Or, let's say I've been in my workshop area for hours and when returning to my house area I discover two people in the process of robbing the house. Or, let's say we're enjoying some time at our creek and a threatening person quickly appears? Or, let's say I'm quietly arriving at my workshop area and I discover my workshop being robbed and I'm approached menacingly by a person with a heavy metal breaker-bar with obvious intent to harm.

So, in each of those cases wouldn't it make sense to be carrying? Have any of you other rural property owners experienced one of those or similar incidents? Thanks for reading, thoughts/feedback appreciated ---
You have a house site or a site with a house on it?

I have the same amount of very rural and secluded mostly wooded property but with a large house, animals and a big barn. I have several tractors, trailers, ATV's trucks, an SUV and a car. I also live on a private road. Not many people know my area exists. I'm about 5 miles from the nearest town but only 2 miles from an interstate. I have a target range on the property. I have never had anything stolen, knock on wood.

Mine is what you might describe as a hobby farm or in my part of the country a ranch. I have the property marked with no trespassing signs. Some of the property is not fenced. Some is electrically fenced. To keep the animals in, not to keep anyone out. My woods are so dense in the spring and summer that very few people would want to try getting through it especially at night. My house is at the top of a hill. I have good visibility of anyone coming up my drive.

I have several firearms, not an arsenal but several. I don't carry in the house or on the property while I'm working. Maybe I should but I don't. I'm more likely to lose a gun I left somewhere than to have it stolen. Everything I own is insured. I refuse to live in fear. I'll carry if I feel the need, but so far, I'm not feeling it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My family has piece of property that is landlocked by private property, has fields, woods, springs, a pond and a very rustic cabin on it. We didn't live there and were usually only there on the weekends or during hunting season. We were far enough away from help that we considered ourselves on our own. If you find yourself in a bad situation in a place like that, there is no such thing as being over gunned. Carry a full size handgun on your hip, a small concealed handgun somewhere else and a long gun in your vehicle (or over your shoulder). OK, that might actually be a lot to carry around. But if something ever does go bad on your place, you won't regret having the full size handgun.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
First priority is not 'how many or what kind of guns should I pack' it's video surveillance. You should already have had a camera on that gate and know who entered and committed a theft.

Welcome to DCDC

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
As far as handguns go, you might want something that's easier to hit with at longer ranges than a typical small cc gun. In my life any threat is likely to be up close and armed with a handgun. If there were much chance of bg's at 50 yards armed with rifles - well, I'd want a rifle too, but if carrying only a handgun, I'd want something with a long sight radius and a good trigger, that fits my hand very well.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Carry whatever you want. An AR, A lever action, a pistol. Its your land. I would carry an AR with me...

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
I live pretty rural. I personally carry a pocket gun, Because that's what I EDC. I also keep close at hand a long gun.
Most of our problems have been from Feral dogs or Coyotes. I have run accross a few snakes while weed whacking, and even a Mtn Lion with cubs! The only thing I ever felt under gunned with was the lion, and that encounter was over before I even knew it had happened. I have learned to carry a bigger gun at night, And am still comfortable with a pocket gun in the light of day![ I still have a long gun close by!] Good Luck DR

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Let me ask you...why not carry?

Reactions: tcox4freedom
1 - 20 of 51 Posts