Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, with all the alcohol being sold at a rally, is it legal to carry your weapon at one ??

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Depends on the jurisdiction.

In Florida, carrying there would be lawful, subject to the usual restrictions (cannot carry in a bar, etc).

Matt

·
Registered
86 Posts
With all the OC that I see on many bikers here, I suspect you'd be underdressed without your OC or CC.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I would use your head and avoid areas where trouble might take place. This to me is any event where people are getting loaded on booze, drugs, inhailants etc.... It may be one of the times where it may be legal but not prudent. Check your own state laws.

NCH

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I have been to a number of bike rallies here in FL...I'm always armed.:yup:, and it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have been to a number of bike rallies here in FL...I'm always armed.:yup:, and it's not a problem.
Same here when I lived in Florida and a bunch of other rallies across the US.

Most rallies these days you are considered young if you're in your thirties.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Always have and always will.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same here. Been a rider for over 25 years. Always have carried and always will if possible. Again as the other posters said, "use your head".

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Been a Harley rider for 29 years and have been to many rallies. Depending on the state it may or may not be legal. In some states whom ever is the "owner" can post a no fire arms sigh and make it illegal. Some states it is illegal if there is drink on premise license involved. If a rally is confined to a campground or site it can be totally different than say one of the larger rallies where the rally is the whole town area. It is a personal decision that will require a little research. If it is legal I carry.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
INAL, and AFAIK, there has to be a 30.01 sign present. So basically, a business has to post the sign saying that over 50% of their sales are from alcohol that is consumed on the premise.

They should have covered it in your CHL class.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Here , it's no issue at all.... don't know about Texas. Just don't drink, then it would be an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
not tryn to hijack your thread but... i ride often and always wondered how well carrying while riding would work. if it matters I ride a sportbike. R1 all the way!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
not tryn to hijack your thread but... i ride often and always wondered how well carrying while riding would work. if it matters I ride a sportbike. R1 all the way!
start a thread, but I would do a search first.... lots of past threads on the subject.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All the rallies I attend in Texas and surrounding states usually put:
No Guns - No Dogs - No Attitudes
It doesn't take much to figure out that if you choose not to CCW, you'll be in the unarmed minority. I've yet to see a metal detector or pat downs utilized at any rally big or small.

Carry it
Keep it Concealed
Keep Your Mouth Shut
Use Your Head

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
carry at every rally...if you plan to frequent bars you may want to rethink it...otherwise no reason not to...many campgrounds are no gun zones...if you want to believe nobody is armed at them thats up to you...i think the main concern there is the amount of drinking...

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Okay, I've got to say it - and no disrespect intended towards those that carry to biker events, but I firmly believe that carrying to a biker event is an intensely bad idea.

First, let me establish that I love my Harley. I've had a motorcycle since I was 12 years old, and have more miles behind handlebars than behind a steering wheel by far. I love to ride.

Now having said that, I will never attend another 'biker rally'. There are generally four types there; (a) True 1%ers - these are the bad guys that I try to avoid, and why I cc. (b) Posers who want to look like 1%ers, and can generally be even more dangerous in their desire to prove themselves to be 'tough'. (c) Sheep in the most extreme sense in that they are there to behold the wonder and excitement of being around all of these unsavory individuals. (d) Gentlemen riding clubs - these are generally good and decent people, who's company I genuinely enjoy. But now add a bunch of alcohol (and other stuff) to the event...

Hence, at least half (3/4 for me) of these folks are to be avoided. CC'ing to an event like this is the equivalent of cc'ing in a bar, late at night. Depending on the event, it's likely illegal to cc. Even if it is allowed (never seen that yet), you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a situation that drastically increases the odds that you'll have to present. I liken this to choosing to cc and take a stroll through a bad part of town, just because you can.

Again, I apologize if I've stepped on toes here. I'm not looking to scold anyone, and understand that we're all big boys and girls here. I just feel strongly on this one, and hope you stay safe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Depending on the event, it's likely illegal to cc. Even if it is allowed (never seen that yet), you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a situation that drastically increases the odds that you'll have to present. I liken this to choosing to cc and take a stroll through a bad part of town, just because you can.
I would agree with this, but only if the person had never attended a rally prior to having a CC permit b/c they feared for their safety. If you're only going b/c NOW you have a weapon and feel safer, you probably shouldnt... but if you've gone in the past and the only difference is now you're allowed to CC, then I say go ahead.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was wondering, with all the alcohol being sold at a rally, is it legal to carry your weapon at one ??
Motorcycle rally and booze...simply unbelievable. Let me guess...Harley Davidson?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Okay, I've got to say it - and no disrespect intended towards those that carry to biker events, but I firmly believe that carrying to a biker event is an intensely bad idea.

First, let me establish that I love my Harley. I've had a motorcycle since I was 12 years old, and have more miles behind handlebars than behind a steering wheel by far. I love to ride.

Now having said that, I will never attend another 'biker rally'. There are generally four types there; (a) True 1%ers - these are the bad guys that I try to avoid, and why I cc. (b) Posers who want to look like 1%ers, and can generally be even more dangerous in their desire to prove themselves to be 'tough'. (c) Sheep in the most extreme sense in that they are there to behold the wonder and excitement of being around all of these unsavory individuals. (d) Gentlemen riding clubs - these are generally good and decent people, who's company I genuinely enjoy. But now add a bunch of alcohol (and other stuff) to the event...

Hence, at least half (3/4 for me) of these folks are to be avoided. CC'ing to an event like this is the equivalent of cc'ing in a bar, late at night. Depending on the event, it's likely illegal to cc. Even if it is allowed (never seen that yet), you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a situation that drastically increases the odds that you'll have to present. I liken this to choosing to cc and take a stroll through a bad part of town, just because you can.

Again, I apologize if I've stepped on toes here. I'm not looking to scold anyone, and understand that we're all big boys and girls here. I just feel strongly on this one, and hope you stay safe.
i have got to say that this is about the most off based post i have read as a reason for not carrying anywhere...

for starters...a bike rally is probably one of the most friendly group events you might ever attend...safer than a proffessional sports event and the largest group of "i will help anyone out and give them the shirt off my back" people youve ever had the opportunity to meet...there are families with young children in attendance and yes...even the dreaded 1%ers (oooohhhhh)...coupled with the alcohol its almost like attending a county fair without the rides and pony shows...violence is almost non-existent and a good time is had by all....but if you want to stereotype i guess this would be the place to do it...

like anyplace else on this earth there is a chance that something could go wrong and one might have to defend themselves...but the beauty of large events with large numbers of people in attendance is that there is always a strong law enforcement presence...usually a bunch of law enforcement officers who know you have to let the children play but are quick to step in and control a stuation before it gets out of hand...unruly and/or just plain stupid people are segregated quickly and controlled as necessary...

to even remotely compare it to walking through the bad part of town has got to be the weakest and most prejudiced stereotype ive seen and surprising coming from someone who carries concealed...i guess thats why we have to check our guns at gun shows here...with so many guys carrying guns you know its got to be dangerous...huh?...

by the way...in the event something did happen and you were forced to "present"...wouldnt that be the moment you were glad you were carrying?...isnt that the idea?...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Motorcycle rally and booze...simply unbelievable. Let me guess...Harley Davidson?
county fair and booze...let me guess...redneck?

sporting event and booze?...let me guess...sports fans?

auto show and booze...let me guess...car enthusiasts?

bars and booze...let me guess...drunks?

please tell me whats wrong with serving beer at a public event? and why it should be any different for bikers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts