Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been covered many times, but I'm at the point that I feel I'm getting to casual while carrying at home. I have several firearms stashed in the home (no children). Basically, my snub is my EDC. So when I head out of the house, I take it with me.

I always holster firearms (even if say next to the bed, next to the computer, in a coat pocket, etc).

My wife has her own handgun she is responsible for, mostly used close at hand at night, I don't consider it for my armament.

As I've stated, I'm to the point that I am being to casual (even thought holstered) with my EDC snub. I'll leave it on an end table, or under next to the chair as I watch TV.

I'm thinking I just need to rely on the stashed Glocks in the house, and just keep the snub in a consistant location (say coat closet).

Thoughts?

PS - I keep the Glocks well hiden, but easy to access locations for 90% of the time I'm home (I would be out of luck in the bathroom). The Glocks have a full mag, but do not have one in the chamber. I'll grab a Glock or get the snuby (both easy CC) and take it with me if I was answering the door. I always check the front door from a window before I get near the door.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My EDC is on my hip when I dress in the AM and stays there until I lay down in the PM. I never leave any guns just laying around. On the hip or in the safe. At night I have a holster mounted on the bed's side rail for quick access.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My EDC is on me if I am dressed for going out or just around the house. It is always within reach and my lock blade folder is keep near at hand 24/7. This is a habit that I have tough myself to do and practice it all the time.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
EDC is on me from when I get dressed to when I undress. All others are put up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a similar approach to Thanis since I work at home in gym shorts or sweat pants. I have a Glock 27 stashed that is hidden but quickly accessible from our family room where we spend most of our time. I will grab it before answering the door.

I have a G22 in a fanny pack hanging beside the basement door for when I walk the dogs several times a day (we are in the mountains where moose, bears, and even mountain lions are seen).

I have a .357 hanging in a holster on my bed post that I would use to get to my 12 gauge in the gun cabinet 10 feet away.

There are a couple others that are my wife's guns around. I usually grab the G27 if I am going out but now that winter is here I could also choose to carry the G22 or my wife's G23.

Like Thanis, there are no kids around ever and all handguns are in holsters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I keep my EDC on me most of the time at home, but when I lose the pants for some real relaxation I keep it in the drawer in the end-table next to my chair. Then at night I put it in the night-stand next to my bed. I do have a Mossberg 500 tactical behind the bedroom door, but everything else gets locked up. My biggest fear is some d-bag stealing a gun…..not so much that I lost the gun, but the fact a another d-bag is roaming the street with a gun giving the rest of us a bad reputation.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My biggest fear is some d-bag stealing a gun…..not so much that I lost the gun, but the fact a another d-bag is roaming the street with a gun giving the rest of us a bad reputation.
I agree 100%

I have a detached garage/mancave next to the house where I spend a lot of time. If I had a number of guns stashed around I would worry about some d-bag greeting me as I enter the house with my own guns! That's why I lock the gun safe and doors when I'm doing the guy stuff in the garage just 20' away :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
My EDC is on my hip when I dress in the AM and stays there until I lay down in the PM. I never leave any guns just laying around. On the hip or in the safe. At night I have a holster mounted on the bed's side rail for quick access.
Same here. We have 5 kids ranging in age from 18 to 7 year old twins so no leaving guns strategically hidden around the house for us.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
My Glock is either on my hip, or on the table next to me. I have an additional firearm that is well-hidden in our main room near the front door...it stays there. There are other firearms in an open safe in a back room. No kids, so no problems...if we leave the house, then all firearms (except for the first two mentioned) are locked in the safe.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
It's totally your call.

I keep a weapon on me or right next to me every waking hour and in a bedside holster at night.

My thinking is, if I need it, I may not have time to "go get" a gun. :wink:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine's on me at all times. With the holsters i use, it doesn't really get in the way and most of the time it's comfortable enough that i don't even notice it's there. Goes in a holster on the side table when it's time for bed. Now, i only have 1, so that eliminates having them stashed around the house. We don't have kids yet but plenty of visiting youngsters. I wouldn't trust that they wouldn't find them no matter how well i think i have them hidden...aside from a gun safe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I always either carry, or keep locked up, or in holster next to me while sleeping. I have a small lockbox type safe as well next to the bed for full size pistol I don't want to carry all the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This has been covered many times, but I'm at the point that I feel I'm getting to casual while carrying at home. I have several firearms stashed in the home (no children). Basically, my snub is my EDC. So when I head out of the house, I take it with me.

I always holster firearms (even if say next to the bed, next to the computer, in a coat pocket, etc).

My wife has her own handgun she is responsible for, mostly used close at hand at night, I don't consider it for my armament.

As I've stated, I'm to the point that I am being to casual (even thought holstered) with my EDC snub. I'll leave it on an end table, or under next to the chair as I watch TV.

I'm thinking I just need to rely on the stashed Glocks in the house, and just keep the snub in a consistant location (say coat closet).

Thoughts?

PS - I keep the Glocks well hiden, but easy to access locations for 90% of the time I'm home (I would be out of luck in the bathroom). The Glocks have a full mag, but do not have one in the chamber. I'll grab a Glock or get the snuby (both easy CC) and take it with me if I was answering the door. I always check the front door from a window before I get near the door.
If I read you post correctly, your EDC is a snubbie revolver? If so, throw your snubbie in a pocket holster and shove it in your pants pocket that way it's always with you and you don't have to worry about leaving it lay around the house. I carry everywhere I can legally do so (except while at work due to company rules) and the majority of the time my snubbie is what I'm carrying in my pocket.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree 100%

I have a detached garage/mancave next to the house where I spend a lot of time. :icon_neutral:
I thought i was the only one that called it that.:haha: I keep mine on me at home all day.

·
Registered
652 Posts
my glock is with me 24/7 on duty and when off duty at the house i put on a good galco and keep it on untill i goto bed. while in bed its on the nightstand unholstered about 12inches from were i sleep, and ive rigged a gun rack to the back of my headboard, and that is where my ak w/ 2 30rd coupled mags stays

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am wearing gym shorts with a belt.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
If my EDC is not on me, it's right in front of me within arms reach. I never loose sight of it, and it goes room to room with me in the house no matter what I'm doing. The only stash I have is what's in the safe. No multiple firearms scattered hither and yon in this abode.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On me when awake. A lot of people take them off when they get home and don't realize that 100% of home invasions happen at home! :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would rather have a shotgun by my bed than a handgun, Nothing like the sound of a round being pumped into a chamber to let the intruder know that his number is up if he does not leave.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts