Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you typically carry when you go to professional sporting events? I go to MLB baseball and NHL hockey games in Boston often, and would like to carry but never do since the stadiums and arenas here all have no firearm policies, and they do frisk/wand (as as you might expect, this done with more vigor since the Marathon bombing). Even though it's not technically illegal to do so, I don't want the headache.

Is this the case pretty much everywhere (no carrying allowed in ballparks, etc.) around the country? I'm sure I could try to research this state by state, stadium by stadium...but not looking for a project:tongue:

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's illegal to carry to professional sporting events here in Texas. Our law states this

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. said:
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I haven't been to a pro sporting event (beside minor league baseball) in over a decade. I would suggest that you check your local and state laws, and then the polices of the stadium or arena where the event is being held.

This should inform you are your carry options

Reactions: DaveH and oneshot

·
Registered
216 Posts
I carry to the MLB games here even though its against the stadium rules, I don't feel safe walking the dark streets downtown back to my car post game unless I have one of my little buddies along.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Can not do it in my state if there are 2500 seats or more...

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Illegal in Florida too so I stopped going to them. Let's face it, stadiums are often located in the low income areas because land is cheaper there. I saw my share of fights outside and inside stadiums growing up.
true. The old Amway Arena in Orlando was smack dab in the middle of the hood. The new Amway Center is a little better, and metal detectors are present
at the door, so my Magic games are unarmed.

....as you stated, not legal to carry to organized sporting events under the Florida Statutes.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Illegal here plus gun buster signs.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I carry to the MLB games here even though its against the stadium rules, I don't feel safe walking the dark streets downtown back to my car post game unless I have one of my little buddies along.
Just curious what happens if you were to get caught? Where I live, I have no doubt a person would be arrested since it is against Fla Statues.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The nearest professional sports arena to me is in Washington D.C. Need I say more? :mad:

Reactions: DaveH and USM1976

·
Registered
45,189 Posts
....as you stated, not legal to carry to organized sporting events under the Florida Statutes.
What the FL statute 790.06 actually says about prohibiting firearms for sporting events is: "Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms"; not "organized" sports events. It would still be legal at Little League, PeeWee football, etc.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious what happens if you were to get caught? Where I live, I have no doubt a person would be arrested since it is against Fla Statues.
Here in Mass, as I understand the law, there is no risk of arrest, however, you may get your LTC pulled based on "suitability" by the licensing authority (Chief of Police) if he is contacted by the Boston Police on how you tried to carry into Fenway Park where they have a policy of "no firearms". The Chief could determine you are no longer a suitable person.

And the even bigger problem is you can't even possess a handgun in Mass. without a License to Carry! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you have a CPL, which I assume you do since you're carrying, you're just fine at The Safe.

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070...

RCW 9.41.070=Concealed pistol license

So, if you are a CPL holder you may carry in a public stadium under state law and any local laws are preempted by the state law.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
What the FL statute 790.06 actually says about prohibiting firearms for sporting events is: "Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms"; not "organized" sports events. It would still be legal at Little League, PeeWee football, etc.
sorry I generalized. You fixed it.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Not illegal according to Georgia law, but I believe most large, indoor venues are posted. Signs here do not have the weight of law, but you must leave if asked.

I don't know about metal detectors, since I avoid downtown Atlanta as much as possible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the nhl arena has a walk thorough full body metal detector plus a guy with a wand here, so no carry there, baseball stadium doesn't do much except check bags. I still don't carry there however I always have a pocket knife on me. it's a tool first and foremost, that being said I have been using knives and throwing them since I was 5, held national and state titles for throwing knives and am quick and accurate enough to hit a target the size of a playing card up to 30ft while moving.

Now before you all jump on me, you don't bring a knife to a gun fight etc etc, I know and I am not saying it is better than my edc, i am not saying it's a replacement, but it is better than nothing and I know how to use it..

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Not illegal to carry at professional sporting events here in VA. The only teams sports we have here are minor league teams, and they do not own the facilities they operate out of. They can post them and if caught you can be charged with simple trespassing if you refuse to leave. I've never been to the ball diamond that the Richmond team plays at, so I have no idea if it is posted. As for the Arena football teams facility, I know for a fact it is not posted. I've also never seen a posting sign at Richmond International Raceway where NASCAR events are held.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts