Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the decision yesterday to take the next step and start carrying my Glock 17 chambered. I've been carrying for several months now. The only time I feel anxious is when I transfer the pistol from my carry holster to my night stand holster. I'm guessing that will ease with time.

Thoughts from those with more experience.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I was extra super cautious about holstering when I first started carrying striker guns, but it did ease with time. I carry hammer guns almost always now, but still pay close attention to the holster, looking for obstructions, while transferring from one holster to another.

Really, you should never take for granted the holstering process regardless of what type of gun you carry.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Ianthin is correct, holstering should be nice and slow. As for taking the next step in carrying with one in the pipe thats great!!! We all have different comfort levels and move at our own speed I also carryed unchambered for about a week when I started no need to rush anything.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I carried for a month or so when I started not chambered. Wanted to get used to carrying first. The more I carried chamber the more the worrie went away. It will fade with time, once you realize there really is no difference as long as you keep your finger off the trigger till you need to, and just watch when you holster to make sure nothing gets in the way. Stay safe

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It is noteworthy how time will change our comfort level regarding an activity. I, too, at first did not carry chambered. But because I have a manual safety, I soon changed that. Now, a few months later, I am starting to carry safety off when away from home.

The trick is to not allow comfort level to become complacency. Complacency gets people hurt or worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Havent quite received my ltc but i also am kind of anxious about carrying chambered at first. I do believe in carrying chambered would be the best option but i also think ill need a week or so before i start, wanna get comfy holstering aswell

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Practice proper safety procedures and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire and you are good to go! Your Glock was designed to be safely carried with one in the chamber. I never did understand the military policy for keeping the chamber empty especially in the MP's & SP's:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
There's a story about a Texas Ranger who was open carrying when a woman came up to him and asked if his gun was loaded. He said of course. She then asked, "isn't that dangerous?" He replied, "I hope so." Just keep your finger off the trigger and watch where the muzzle is pointed and you will never have a problem.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I recently shot a 3 gun match where I had to start in the driver seat of a car with no round in the chamber, mag in gun though. This was due to safety since there was a good possibility of sweeping your body with a loaded gun. What a pain it was to draw the weapon from a seated position and then have to charge the pistol and then fire on the target. There was a little bit of stress involved since we are timed but imagine being under the stress of someone trying to hurt you and you have to charge your weapon first.

I always carry with a round chambered. Always have.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
There's a story about a Texas Ranger who was open carrying when a woman came up to him and asked if his gun was loaded. He said of course. She then asked, "isn't that dangerous?" He replied, "I hope so." Just keep your finger off the trigger and watch where the muzzle is pointed and you will never have a problem.
Texas Ranger Charlie Miller

A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, “Isn’t That Dangerous?” Charley replied, ” I wouldn’t carry the son of a bi... if it wasn’t dangerous.”

·
Registered
417 Posts
Trigger finger. Keep it disciplined and stay aware and you won't have an issue. You'll just be more prepared in case you ever have to use it.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Always 1911 cocked and locked. You will get used to it in time. When in Marines we were not allowed to carry a round chambered unless we were told there was a threat. Too many Marines like to play with their weapons. Its funny guarding a weapon that could take out half the state of Florida and with weapons not loaded.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I have never carried in less than full battery. And that includes all of my carry guns currently and in the past. Think about it. If that gun is not in full battery (chambered) and you have to call upon it in an extreme encounter, what happens if your weak arm or hand is severely injured as you are going for your gun? Now you have to do the belt or table chambering drill.... while your assailant(s) are trying to injure or kill you.

No thanks. All I want to have to worry about is to "pull and pull"... pull my gun and pull the trigger. No external safeties, no empty chambers, and the same trigger feel from the first shot to the last. That's how I train and that's how I carry.

Reactions: ep1953 and noway2

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Made the decision yesterday to take the next step and start carrying my Glock 17 chambered. I've been carrying for several months now. The only time I feel anxious is when I transfer the pistol from my carry holster to my night stand holster. I'm guessing that will ease with time.

of course you carry that way.

WRT the Glock, field strip it, and take a look at how it works. It can't "just go off" by itself. The trigger has to be pulled. Your job is to make sure that doesn't happen accidentally.

If you can't get past that, you probably need a different gun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take it slow and evelop a system of holstering/unholstering while keeping your fingers away from the trigger. I tend to keep a thumb behind the slide while I guide my weapon down into the holster. As long as you have a sturdy setup to carry your pistol with, you should be fine. Carry on and be safe!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Its not moving the pistol from the holster to the night table that's a concern so long as your finger is straight out and away from the trigger . That should be a habit regardless on the firearm only to touch the trigger when needing to fire your weapon . Its when you reholster your handgun is when you should pay close attention .

S l o w d o w n , look and pay attention and a loaded chamber is not an issue regardless of your weapon .

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My hand is just the right size for my trigger finger to lay in the ejection port cutout. That is how I handle it anyway. Just feels like I'm less likely to have my finger slip into the trigger guard.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts

Unload Glock check that it's unloaded leave all ammo in safe or other room and DRY FIRE practice with it so you get genus or memory of carrying it with trigger finger in proper safe oisition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 121 Posts