Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry either a

Walther PPS M2 in a SGUSA IWB holster at 4-5 oclock

SIG P320c AIWB Tier 1 concealed with mag pouch (detachable)

Hk VP9 Priority 1 holsters AIWB

The AIWB holsters I can technically move around my waist so I guess I could use them as a IWB. I'm trying to decide which of these I want to carry as each has their own perks.

The Walther is single stack and is the lightest but only has a 8+1 capacity and the trigger is longer than I would like. That said, I'm very accurate with this gun and dont mind it but I want something with more capacity.

The Sig is great but carrying AIWB prints very slightly and it's a hassle when sitting down anywhere especially driving as I don't have a 6 pack of abs.

Then the HK is more uncomfortable appendix bc it is a full size but I can place this holster anywhere inside my belt.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I think StealthGear has the most comfortable holsters so I'm thinking of picking one gun and buying another holster but I'm having difficulty choosing a gun and position I like. I like my HK overall but I think my Sig (with the apex flat trigger) has the best trigger of the 3.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
If you're not using a quality, purpose build AIWB holster, then get one if you're going to carry that way. It makes a lot of difference as far as comfort and concealablity goes.

Beyond that, I can't help you, but I will add that I carry a Glock 19 AIWB lots and have no issues with comfort when sitting, driving, etc. and while I'm not overweight, I'm not skinny either. I do, however, carry in a JM Custom AIWB holster.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think my holsters are good quality, I'm just not sure if it's just something to get used to or if AIWB is not for me. The most comfortable holster I encountered was the SG USA ones but they dont have a claw that tends to prevent printing on my body type. Does your G19 not dig into your stomach or press against your thigh when you sit? I'm 5'9" 175lbs btw.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I think my holsters are good quality, I'm just not sure if it's just something to get used to or if AIWB is not for me. The most comfortable holster I encountered was the SG USA ones but they dont have a claw that tends to prevent printing on my body type. Does your G19 not dig into your stomach or press against your thigh when you sit? I'm 5'9" 175lbs btw.
I'm not knocking the quality, just the fact that when I looked up your holster, they don't make a true AIWB that has an attachable mag carrier. A true AIWB has certain design elements that really only lend itself to AIWB. You can stick any IWB holster at your 1 o'clock but it's not ever going to be a true AIWB.

I would definitely say that there's no 'digging' when sit. Now, a lot of that is going to be posture related, so it's really dependent on the person, but I often carry my 19 and drive for 8-10 hours and, while I probably have plenty of issues at the end of it, none are directly related to the firearm I've been carrying. In fact, I find AIWB to be much more comfortable when driving then even OWB at my hip. I do carry OWB quite a bit in the cold weather months and I am much more apt to get annoyed by carrying that way then when I AIWB on long drives.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what constitutes as a TRUE AIWB? I mostly looked at functionality and concealment when I was shopping for a AIWB holster but never realized that there are certain qualities a AIWB is supposed to have?

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
So what constitutes as a TRUE AIWB? I mostly looked at functionality and concealment when I was shopping for a AIWB holster but never realized that there are certain qualities a AIWB is supposed to have?
They're generally designed to interact with your body differently. Successful AIWB holsters push the muzzle away from your body which helps press the grip area into your body. This can be accomplished in a number of ways but the most traditional, and most successful for me personally, is some sort of wedge that sits at the base of the muzzle. I've seen odd armature things and various things at the belt attachment area, so there's more than one way to make it happen but I'm sure that, like everything else, those things are going to work well for some body/firearm combinations and maybe not so well for others. I think a foam wedge or built in wedge is probably the most common though.

Honestly, I'm sure there are any number of well designed AIWB rigs that are fine, but there's just a few that are generally seen over and over when people that have a lot of experience carrying that way discuss recommendations. JM, CCC Shaggy and DF Archangel are the most common ones. I've heard plenty of good things about Appalachian Concealment and DarkStar rigs as well.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

Mine is a small independent. Made specifically for AIWB. I love my Full Size Glock

Reactions: txs171

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I AIWB carry a P229 using a cheap Uncle Mikes and a 1911 Commander in a very simple Don Hume leather holster and have no issues.

If it's digging into your thigh, move it toward the center of your belt. The way I prefer it, the gun should rest on your thigh and be long enough stay flat but not long enough to jab you in your 'block and tackle'. BTW, a 4" barrel is perfect for me, and I'm 5'8" 175 lbs. A 3" barrel is getting too short, so my gut starts to push the gun out where it prints, and a 5" definitely makes uncomfortable contact with my ... when I sit down.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you bend in the middle when sitting like I do, then a OWB pancake will always be your best choice.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
For me and my life style and 29 years of concealed carry your PPSm2 is the only one that might work as a up front carry pistol for me but then only in a narrow hybrid very adjustable holster that allows me to cant the pistol to the rear so the grip is parallel to my belt at 2:00 / 2:30 position . You will have to figure out what works best for you .

Know that what I carry and what holster I use may not work for others . I' 5-9 and 225 and will not try to carry a 4" class double stack up front as I am a carpenter/builder and bending over is part of the job and so was sweating and being physical , not just sitting my rear end in a car or driving so you'll have to figure out what works for you .

You may find you have have to move your 2 larger pistols back to 3:30 to 4:430 carry position . I still carry a 3.5" skinny pistol in front of my hip bone buy my p320c is at a 3:30 position with only enough forward cant to hide the butt end of the grip well , about 8* . Now you get to go back to find what works for you .

I will stay these " range officers / instructions " we all see that carry a full size pistol at 12:00 to 1:00 more than likely do not do that 24/7 if they do anything involving real work where you get physical and sweaty . So you just have to find what works for you .

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I usually carry a PPS OWB at 3:30 position. When I want higher capacity, I use a Springfield MOD 2 in 9mm. Not all that much larger and heavier than the PPS. As to holsters , you really have to find out what works for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts