Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having an issue I wanted to ask about. My carry gun is a kel-tec pf-9 and pretty much I have wipe out the barrel every day as it collects a good amount of dust on the inside just from a days worth of carrying. Is this normal? Should I worry about this and keep cleaning it every day or is it no big deal. Also I do put a very very light coat of oil on the inside of the barrel to prevent rust, so Im sure this is why it sticks so bad. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Oil can attract dust and lint. What kind of holster are you using? I find that my 1911 gets a little bit of dust/lint from the holster itself, so I give it a quick wipe-down each day when I out it to bed. Once every 3-4 weeks I disassemble and clean it. I don't add oil daily just when I do a cleaning.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's ok to run an oiled patch through the barrel but I always follow it with a dry patch to get the puddles out. A dry patch in/out a couple of times will still leave a residue that will help prevent rust. Some barrels are chrome lined and this will deter rust for a long time until thousands of rounds are shot through it. I wipe my gun daily on the outside with a black "T" shirt with CLP on it. I clean my carry guns once per month and re-lube the slides with grease. I also use leather holsters with open muzzles. Dirt and dust seems to fall through. A small amount of lint on the inside of the barrel wont affect its ability to fire.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I agree. Less oil = less lint. Lint on a CCW usually gathers within a fraction of an inch into the muzzle, but looks bad from the outside. IMO...not need to break it down every day to clean. A q-tip should suffice for this, once or twice a week.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
this is normal, no matter what you do. it is only at the front, so you can just wipe it out with a q-tip once a week. don't over think this.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Using a holster with a closed bottom would help, but it's still not a big problem...just clean as recommended in the above thread.:hand10:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I hate todo this cuz its gonna sound like a shameless plug..But its true so it should help with your problem.

Oil attracts dust and lint, More oil attracts more. Gunzilla is non-ionic and does not attract dust. Try gunzilla & I'll bet your problem goes away.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you use a holster that does not protect the pistol from the elements (sweat), it is normal to wipe off the external parts w/ silicone cloth everytime you put it away. And, if you carry everyday, I would suggest a minimum once a week to field strip the handgun and oiling the internal parts, preferably with oiled wipes. Unless you fired it, cleaning the parts with solvent prior to oiling is not necessary.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I'll 2nd the plug for Gunzilla. After switching to Gunzilla, my gun maintenance has dropped considerably.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
If I shoot it I clean it with Gunzilla. Gunzilla leaves a dry lubricant that carbon, dust lint, sand or dirt does not adhere to and will protect a properly stored unused gun for at least two years. Spray wipe done. Cleaned lubricated protected

·
Registered
208 Posts
+1 on the Gunzilla. I noticed a difference after switching from Break Free.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Another plug for Gunzilla, great stuff!:hand10:

·
Registered
40,293 Posts
I'm not fanatical about gun cleaning. I clean as needed. Less is more when using oils. Any that runs off is wasted, which is the majority of what's applied.

Or you can get a Glock and just run it through the dishwasher once a week!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I'm not fanatical about gun cleaning. I clean as needed. Less is more when using oils. Any that runs off is wasted, which is the majority of what's applied.
Oil and grease are obsolete on guns. An unnecessary waste of money & time that attracts lint, dust, dirt and grime. Resulting in needless weapon failures.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I hate todo this cuz its gonna sound like a shameless plug..But its true so it should help with your problem.

Oil attracts dust and lint, More oil attracts more. Gunzilla is non-ionic and does not attract dust. Try gunzilla & I'll bet your problem goes away.
True story! I hadnt noticed it until I saw this post. I just checked and there is no lent or dust in the barrel. I cleaned it 2 weeks ago with Gunzilla. It would start to collect after one day of carry. Great stuff!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with the other here. Closed end holster if at all possible and the less oil used the better.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I'm also a Gunzilla convert. Cleaning gets easier after the second or third time using it on a weapon. It doesn't get as dirty when you shoot and it cleans up much easier. I pocket carry a lot and I have noticed a huge difference in my lint problem...I don't have one anymore.

I thoroughly cleaned my S&W 442 Thursday after a range session and I've pocket carried it for 2 days. I just pulled it out of my pocket and there's not a spec on it. Before, when I used rem oil, it would have been covered. My guns were like lint rollers for the insides of my pockets. Now, clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

No shame it pointing out why Gunzilla is the best gun cleaner known to man. Not attracting dirt dust lint or carbon seems like one of the big benefits of Gunzilla. Gunzilla not only cleans it helps keep your gun clean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
While "Gunzilla" usage seems to be the conventional wisdom today, I'll just note that for the past 40 years I have been using a lube & rust preventative product that was developed for our US Navy in 1944 & designed to protect all metal surfaces from corrosive salt water, other POLs, & the dreaded rust. That product is called "FLUID FILM", which I have found to be far superior to anything that I have ever used in the cleaning & maintenance of all my firearms. Its lubrication & protective properties are such that I have had no malfunctions in any extreme environment I subjected my weaponry, and its protection last for many months....and the best part.....it's cheap & can be found on the shelves of any John Deere Tractor & Farm Equipment Dealership.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts