Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I have a serious question. why do so many people whine about gun weight for their carry pieces? I know when it comes to hunting in rough terrain it makes a huge difference if you lighten your 10 pound rig down to 8.5 but concealed carry? I carry everything from a springfield XD-s to a Canik TP9(with full 18 round mag), and have never been bothered by weight. I have been fairly obsessive about my body weight my entire adult life and spend enough time on the scale to know that my weight fluctuates more between a full and empty bladder than the difference between a full sized metal frame and a compact plastic frame. so can someone please shed some light on this for me? why do some guys rant about the difference of a couple ounces and how is it such a huge deal that you would sell your favorite carry piece because you found a lighter alternative.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Sometimes my back needs a break. Since I always have a 442 in my pocket I change between a 442 or a 36 for AIWB carry for my second gun.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Heck, you don't even carry heavy guns. I've been carrying a full size P320 lately, but before that it was anything from a P229 up to a P227.

I will say that having good equipment (belt and holster) can make all the difference in the world. Some people compromise on one or both, and therefore can't comfortably carry something with some weight to it. Other times it comes down to body shapes. If you're into pocket carry, I can see weight making a difference too.

IMHO, I think a lot of it comes down to mindset. If someone doesn't believe a heavier gun can be carried, they will be less likely to be successful at it.

But generally I agree. Some people get worked up pretty good about a few oz's, or an extra .10". It doesn't make a difference to me, but to many it does.

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I carry concealed, I would much rather carry my Shield 9MM than my full sized 45 or Beretta 92FS. That's just me and my personal prefrence. Let the SHTF or send me into a situation where something is up and I'd probably change my tune. I just perfer to be as comfortable as possible when I carry all day. I just started carrying at work and it's a LCP. Not for weight but for the fact I don't want a soul to find out and it's very easy to conceal.

Reactions: bsms2

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
hello all,
I have a serious question. why do so many people whine about gun weight for their carry pieces? I know when it comes to hunting in rough terrain it makes a huge difference if you lighten your 10 pound rig down to 8.5 but concealed carry? I carry everything from a springfield XD-s to a Canik TP9(with full 18 round mag), and have never been bothered by weight. I have been fairly obsessive about my body weight my entire adult life and spend enough time on the scale to know that my weight fluctuates more between a full and empty bladder than the difference between a full sized metal frame and a compact plastic frame. so can someone please shed some light on this for me? why do some guys rant about the difference of a couple ounces and how is it such a huge deal that you would sell your favorite carry piece because you found a lighter alternative.
A lot depends on the belt and the holster. I've had OWB holsters that are supposed to be very comfortable, but at the ride height and my body type they ended up putting a muzzle pressure point on my hip at the position I prefer to carry. Not so much weight as it is weight distribution and holster placement. When the rig does not work for your body type, 6 - 8 extra ounces can exacerbate the sensitivity to the resulting pressure points.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I have not figured it out either, with a proper gun belt and holster I carry massive 1911all day with no problems.
That's pretty much it, me thinks. I suspect many people give up too easily on finding the right gun belt/holster combo for a particular gun.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
Many of us have physical problems that prohibit us from carrying a large, heavy gun and no gun belt or holster will help with those kinds of serious problems - back, kidney, recent surgery, etc.

When I was younger (and weighed more, with more fat to "tuck the gun into") I could and did carry a big and heavy gun. That is impossible for me now.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
After carrying a Beretta M9, I don't mind carrying a 1911 or a steel CZ compact.

But I usually have a 442, or PPS.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There are times when my carry piece needs to be inconspicuous as possible. For me that means iwb with a tucked shirt and dress slacks. Weight and size matters.

Reactions: 10thmtn and drift

·
Registered
531 Posts
After width and grip length (which are the two biggest factors in conceal carry), weight is the very next factor, and may even eclipse the first two in some cases, that will make you carry something else. Trust me when I tell you, it's important.

Some people dismiss it, but the bottom line is, a concealed carry permit and gun are worthless if you don't want to carry it, or don't like carrying it.

·
Banned
216 Posts
May be build. I've got slim hips and no butt. It's hard enough keeping my JEANS up, let alone adding a gun. Or two. I've carried an M9 in a shoulder holster all day for days on end, but it wasn't exactly concealed. Pretty darn obvious, in fact. I do carry a 686 regularly, but I find myself hitching my pants back up at times. Not sure I'd want to carry the 686 all day, every day. And I'm just not an enthusiastic enough carrier to go to suspenders....

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
hello all,
I'm 71 years old and I carry a steel 1911 with 5'' or one in a 4 1/4''barrel every day.:yup:

·
Super Moderator
18,788 Posts
I'm one who considers the full-sized 1911 gun or the K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver to be medium-weight handguns and desirable for concealed carry purposes.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
There are times when my carry piece needs to be inconspicuous as possible. For me that means iwb with a tucked shirt and dress slacks. Weight and size matters.
I always wonder how all the naysayers dress when they "whine" about guys "whining" about weight lol. :image035:

I for one have no problem carrying a full size with my gun belt. Matter a fact, I did so on weekends for quite some time. But tuck in a fitted shirt into some slacks and let's see you do that "with the greatest of ease" Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm for years on end. If you aren't clamoring for the lightest handgun you have, you might have a body type that doesn't necessarily compliment a fitted shirt in dress slacks is all I'm saying.

We all have different body types and mine is more conducive to light weight when I head out to work. Maybe you have bigger hips than I do? Maybe you ride your pants higher than I do? Or maybe ... well, you get the picture. I'm with halem, light is good for me. Can I wear a heavy pistol when I'm tucking in my fitted shirts into my slacks? Sure. Is it comfortable for me. Oh hell no. YMMV.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
I don't like carrying a gun at all, but consider it to be a good idea; just in case.

So I compromise. That's my choice.

And you have to consider the activity level of the person. Some people that carry heavy guns do so because they aren't that active, or lead a pretty laid back lifestyle, where they aren't engaging in a lot of physical activity or exertion.

It just all depends on the person and what they want.
Whos to judge?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts