Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in florida and I am picking someone up at the airport. The Florida Statues say CC is prohibited in "sterile areas / passenger terminals". I am assuming that is beyond the screening area. If I will only be in the other areas, front lobby, baggage claim, etc... can I carry? Should I? I could just leave it locked in the car.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
You can carry in the part of the terminal prior to going into the secure area

·
Registered
306 Posts
Unfortunatey, Duka is incorrect. In the book "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" Edition April 2009 on page 94 it states quote...

"Last, but not least, your CWP does not permit you to carry anywhere inside the terminal - including the baggage area unless it is a completely seperate building from the terminal. You can carry in most airport parking garages since they are separate from the terminal building."

If you want to know where you CAN and CAN'T carry in the state of Florida, with everything inbetween, I highly suggest you get this book. It is bible of gun ownership in our state. Once your read it you'll be glad you did. So... leave it in the car.

ORLANDO GUN, WEAPON, & SELF DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. | Florida Firearms Law Book

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unfortunatey, Duka is incorrect. In the book "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" Edition April 2009 on page 94 it states quote...

"Last, but not least, your CWP does not permit you to carry anywhere inside the terminal - including the baggage area unless it is a completely seperate building from the terminal. You can carry in most airport parking garages since they are separate from the terminal building."

If you want to know where you CAN and CAN'T carry in the state of Florida, with everything inbetween, I highly suggest you get this book. It is bible of gun ownership in our state. Once your read it you'll be glad you did. So... leave it in the car.

ORLANDO GUN, WEAPON, & SELF DEFENSE LAWYER JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. | Florida Firearms Law Book
I agree, i am into chapter 11 now, it has taught me SO much! Its a MUST read for anyone in Florida. If you are going to own or carry, its the bible for you. He explains everything in terms us plain, non-lawyer folk can understand. lol

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure the "should" factor was pushing me to take no chances. I appreciate the info and the book reference...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree, i am into chapter 11 now, it has taught me SO much! Its a MUST read for anyone in Florida. If you are going to own or carry, its the bible for you. He explains everything in terms us plain, non-lawyer folk can understand. lol

does anyone know if there is a book like this for texas? i've looked thru the texas rules and the lawyer talk gets confuseing sometimes. i'd like them to explain it in simpler terms.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great Book

I am on my third read just now and am also on Chapter 11 again. Great Book.

Regards
Rick

·
Registered
541 Posts
Same for me, I would like to know if there is a book for the TN laws,
I would like to stay on top of the laws and regulations as well

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
To my knowledge... there is nothing as detailed and accurate as Jon Gutmacher's book on Florida gun laws, for other states.

The NRA produces a book for gun laws in all 50 states however, Mr. Gutmacher updates his book annually and truly is "The Bible" for Florida State Gun Laws.

I certainly wish there was one for Missouri law as well.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I'm sorry I was having a case of I forgot where I was,In Tx we can ,I ass-umed that you could in Florida since I would think all airports are the same.I stand humbled before thee

·
Registered
306 Posts
To my knowledge... there is nothing as detailed and accurate as Jon Gutmacher's book on Florida gun laws, for other states.

The NRA produces a book for gun laws in all 50 states however, Mr. Gutmacher updates his book annually and truly is "The Bible" for Florida State Gun Laws.

Actually he updates his book twice a year, plus there are free online updates at his website, and he has a blog he runs where people pose questions. I only know because I have taken advantage of all three. I have emailed him several persoanl questions / scenarios and he has actually answered me in less than 24 hours, free of charge! Per Mr. Gutmacher, if you have a book that is more than a year old, you have an old book since he updates so much, so frequently. I guess we really are lucky. :yup:

·
Registered
777 Posts

So then Tampa airport would be fine as the actual terminals are separate buildings with a tram running between them and the "main" terminal with ticketing and baggage, etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All,

Check out gunlaws.com. Alan Korwin puts out several book explaining state gun laws for a lot of different states. I know there's a book for Texas, one for Virginia, and there are many others.

Hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
891 Posts
So then Tampa airport would be fine as the actual terminals are separate buildings with a tram running between them and the "main" terminal with ticketing and baggage, etc.
Nope. Leave your gun in the car unless you plan to check it and then it must be securely encased. The paragraph below is directly from the FL Statutes. Click the link in below and search for the word airport.

Florida's statutes used to allow carry in the terminal just not past the security check point into the sterile area.

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
I live in florida and I am picking someone up at the airport. The Florida Statues say CC is prohibited in "sterile areas / passenger terminals". I am assuming that is beyond the screening area. If I will only be in the other areas, front lobby, baggage claim, etc... can I carry? Should I? I could just leave it locked in the car.
The answer to your questions is, "Yes!":yup:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Just ordered a Virginia Gun Laws book.

We'll see how it works out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check this out: Jamison book

Kevin Jamison is a MO lawyer in KC, I haven't talked or met with him yet, but he is one of my two options for when the fans get some feces on them.

Click on the "current updates" link for some updated stuff. I'm not sure exactly how current everything is, but he is a great resource. Also the rest of the website is very helpful.

cheerio,

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all, u wound up leaving it in the car. There was a sign on the door listing the statute. St pete is a small airport everything in one building essentially. I don't remember seeing signs in Tampa nor Sanford. The should factor won out but it is good to be sure of the law.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recently picked my Mother in law up from MIA at 1:00am. I stowed my G23 in the trunk locked up but kept my Crossbreed Qwikclip on.

As we waited for her to exit customs, a few Metro Dade officers gathered while on patrol and since they were standing close to me, we merged conversations and started chatting with them.

One brought up his new off-duty carry piece that he and his wife share sometimes (Taurus PT145 pro) and I brought up how they usually react to someone letting them know they are carrying (legally)...all of them had nice responses about it..and told me a few stories. (one about a new CWP holder peeing himself when asked since the Glock case was on the seat next to him)

I asked about the whole carry in an airport situation (since I read the law and didn't want to take a chance)
One asked what I usually carry and I told him...and mentioned it was locked in the car. He recommended Gutmachers book right away... and said...parking garages, outside the terminal and baggage claim are the only places he says are safe (the officer...not Gutmacher)

Finally, my M-i-L came out of customs and we all parted ways... and as it always seems to be...an officer always says to me... Center of Mass...

I've been putting off buying the book for a while...but just ordered it right now

1 - 20 of 28 Posts