Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I at times envy you folks ''down South'' - no snow and winter is no big deal but - tell ya what - my carry is a total cinch in late fall, right thru till late spring! :smile:

Once I ''graduate'' from summer vest or light shirt - I use an open padded shirt - and know what? - I could conceal a darned cannon. :silly:

I like very little about winter and by Xmas even, will be suffering cabin fever but - sure as heck - carry and concealment is not in the worry market! :wink:

Not all is bad about winter - up North! :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
P95Carry said:
I at times envy you folks ''down South'' - no snow and winter is no big deal but - tell ya what - my carry is a total cinch in late fall, right thru till late spring! :smile:
Then, with that much clothing it takes you half an hour to draw your weapon! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha - OK Miggy - it's pistols at dawn bro! :biggrin:

Tell ya what - in all seriousness - get me to draw with the padded shirt on - it'll be as quick as if I had my light vest! It really is no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Hehehehe.... No deal! I live a life based on awareness, avoidance and deterrance :biggrin:

I guess every climate has its own challenges regarding to clothing. Down here we believe that those in colder climates have it easier since wearing cover garments is not unusual, specially in those places with 2 seasons: Winter and August. Here the norm for regular folks is to wear as little as possible to fend off the heat so to have some sort of cover garment might call attention upon you. Skinny folks get away by using a IWB holster and a hawiian shirt or similar. Those of us from the portly side usually have a tougher time with the same rig and end up with an OWB and have to use something heavier than a hawaiian shirt because of the wind. But I also believe that if you are confortable (or at least used to) with what you wear, you will call less attention to you.

This is one problem that does not have a perfect solution.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I wear a CampCo journalist's vest or a short sleeve shirt unbuttoned in the summer with a t-shirt (and I'm in Vegas, summers are 122). In the winter I usually wear a leather flight jacket, which I could carry my whole pistol arsenal under and never print.

Of course the weather here is summer from mid April thru mid October then we get 2 weeks of nice beautiful days, then it's winter until the first of April then we get 2 weeks of spring. :smile:

I know Chris, winter here isn't like winter there, but I live in a desert because I hate the cold. (The only thing in life I loathe more than being cold is being cold and wet). Winter here is in the 30's during the day, 20's at night, to me that's done right artic. LOL.

·
Registered
950 Posts
P95, I hear you guys. After a previous post I have dusted off the 1911 and it will travel with me today as the wife and I go shopping. Guys it does get cold down south and we also love the winter. The winter means big guns and bullets... :smile:

·
Administrator
143,840 Posts
Careful Shopping

Please make sure that no matter what clothing you wear that your defensive firearm can be "Grabbed Aholst Of" quickly and without fumbling through multiple layers of clothing.
Winter folks really need to "Go Shopping" for suitably warm clothing that will not impede the ability to get access to the vital firearm PRONTO.
For cold winters some of the natural "duck down" & nylon or Gore~Tex coats are very light weight & move out of the way quickly & easily.
But, The Price Of "Down" Is "Up" - so they are expensive. :biggrin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ah Winter,

I personally like winter myself. During these 6 months
in Michigan I can carry any of my pistols without any trouble. I don't have to worry about IWB comfort or lack there of. My belt holsters work just fine with a flannel or sweatshirt cover garment.

Last night, since the temp was in the lower 50 on it's way to the 40s I wore my Sig P229 on a Highnoon Slide Guard belt holster. A flannel overshirt did the concealment trick nicely. With a good belt and holster combination I can carry just about anything short of a crew served weapon.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
specially in those places with 2 seasons: Winter and August.
Haha - but Miggy - remember here in PA we also have two seasons - Winter and construction, LOL :biggrin:

Bob - never fails to amaze me how extreme your temps can get in NV. I doubt there is any one place where things are always ideal all year round.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Euc's right. It got below 75 this week. Was downright frigid on the bike. I still only have two modes of carry, though; my Beltster or my PagerPal. Seasons make no difference to how I carry- only the type of work I'm gonna be doing.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Thank goodness the mosquitoes and black flies are gone. Winter presents its challenges also. When bundled up, access needs to be considered. When going into warm situations it's easy to forget a BUG was in the coat you just checked. What is easy to get to and doesn't print on the street may cause someone to spill their Chardonnay in the restraunt. Miggy said it, it's not a perfect world. But isn't that why we carry?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ah yes winter. Instead of a t-shirt, I now wear a t-shirt and a hoodie. Hoodies make concealed carry so so much easier.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Miggy, did you go to the TSSA match today? I was going to go, but had to take my wife to the airport so she could go see her dad, and you know Roger and Frank, if you get there past H-Hour you can't shoot. Which is fine, I just couldn't start my shooting season. It's getting to be less oppressively hot. Seems like it RARELY really cools down here in Miami. Tropical carry seems to be the rule year round here in paradise.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'll trade having to conceal in summer clothes all year against shoveling snow any day. I still remember snow. Nasty stuff.

And some of us are really good too. I know a guy that can conceal a 1911 in a Speedo. Well not really, but he's working on it. Another 50 pounds and he just might have it.

AFS

·
Registered
814 Posts
AirForceShooter said:
And some of us are really good too. I know a guy that can conceal a 1911 in a Speedo. Well not really, but he's working on it. Another 50 pounds and he just might have it.

AFS
Not the mental picture I was planning on carrying into the evening :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
ExSoldier: Couldn't go. Trail Glades is too much of a distance when I work Saturdays :frown: Remember you can call Roger before H hour and tell him you are on the way and to save you a spot.
As for the heat, it is not the heat as much (yeah right) but the humidity. Both Markham and Trail Glades are literally by the Everglades and that is shooting in a sauna. Come January you will see shooters wearing parkas and gloves when the temp drops to the upper 50's :biggrin:

I wonder how did the interview go.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Miggy ???

Miggy said:
Come January you will see shooters wearing parkas and gloves when the temp drops to the upper 50's :biggrin:

I wonder how did the interview go.

Yeah, THOSE cool days are the ones I live for! Ummmmmmm WHAT INTERVIEW????

·
Registered
950 Posts
BlueLion said:
P95, I hear you guys. After a previous post I have dusted off the 1911 and it will travel with me today as the wife and I go shopping. Guys it does get cold down south and we also love the winter. The winter means big guns and bullets... :smile:
Guys I did not take it. I took the 38 and when nature called in a department store I just stuck the fobus holster in my left pocket and the pistol in the right. All while standing. Sat down and handled my business.. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts