Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a problem finding a good, comfortable way to carry my pistols. Im 5'9 and go from 260 to 280 depending on the weather and other factors. Most iwb holsters seem to be pushed outward by my "muffin top" or love handles, and this is more pronounced when I sit. I have started to leave my .45s at home and carrying a kel-tec p-11 with a belt clip, I also have a LCP for work(over-alls) but would love to get an EMP. One of the things I noticed in the "lets see how you carry thread" is that alot of the guys were thin and their shirts had more room to "drape" Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A lot of us bigger guys prefer OWB or pocket carry. IWB is just torture.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I usually carry one of two ways...

Either at 3:00-3:30 with this...
FIST, INC.

...or at 4:30-5:00 with this...
FIST, INC.

Fortunately I am in shape...unfortunately, that shape is 'round'. I know what you mean by comfort, but the IWB/SOB holster worn over the right kidney is a very comfortable carry.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
6-1, 250#, Milt Sparks VM2 IWB has been my friend for years.
There's a new holstermaker building a very adjustable combination OWB/IWB holster called the Black Ops. Might be something that would work for you.
Pure kustom Holsters main page

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
That's a tough one. I'm 5'9", but I only go 206, pretty broad shouldered too. I wear a HBE Com III with no problem. When you're on the large side the problem is your shoulders are narrower than your waist which eliminates the concealment they normally give you.
I think a IWB holster would work with a concealing garment like a vest. Of course any shirt would have to be tucked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
5' 10", 285...my comfortable concealed carry options are:
Kel Tec PF9 or S&W Bodyguard, pocket carry or OWB right kidney area under an untucked square bottom shirt.

Glock 23 or Springfield XD 40 OWB in a pancake style holster at 3:00 under the same type of shirt.

My most often used carry mode is OWB @ 3:00 with the G23 or XD40 in a Blackhawk Serpa, open carry.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
First off lec7018, welcome to the board and I hope you stay around!

Second, and this is not meant as a joke or as any type of criticism, I strongly suggest you get in shape. I am but one inch shorter than you and used to tip the scales a 325 pounds! I was a big boy! Carrying was a burden. A burden that I suffered through for years until I finally snapped out of it and realized that there was no way I could adequately protect my family being so out of shape.

I now weigh 175 pounds, and lift weights 5 days a week and ride upwards of 70 miles on my bicycle on the weekends. I am in the best shape of my life at age 41 and I have found that getting in shape had some very unexpected benefits to carrying and personal safety in general.

1. My endurance and stamina is way better.

2. I sleep much better so I am rested and not tired all the time.

3. Now that my shoulders are wider than my waist, it is no problem to conceal even a full sized handgun even in an OWB holster.

4. I am much more alert and as a result, my situational awareness is much increased.

There are many, many more factors that are better but I won't bore everyone with them here.
If you want to talk about getting in shape, PM me and maybe I can help you get started and give you some motivation. Just so you know I am not BS'ing you, here are a couple of pics to show the before and after me.

That's me on the left in the big blue shirt. This was in 2006

Here's a pic of me and my wife from this weekend. I think even though the shirt is untucked, you can see the difference.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
lec Welcome to the site

There are a lot of holster makers out there. Do a search here and you should find a bunch of options.

I have a Black Ops from Pure Kustoms that works great.

I advise using a holster that is rounded or contoured to the body.
I found these tend to take a little of the bulk out of the holster as it rides on your belt.

There is a lot of knowledge here.

Good luck

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm 6'2 Go about 240 - 250, broad shouldered, but either way IWB is a hassle from hell with me. I opted for a good shoulder rig to wear with an over shirt or a jacket and a blackhawk SERPA for OWB, both concealable (shoulder rig more so,SERPA prints a bit because of my body shape) but thats just a few ideas.

Also, I Was at one point almost 330 LBS from an injury to my knee, Getting back into shape was and still is hard as I have a slightly slow metabolism(always have) If you want to, PM me as well for help and motivation.

-Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About the losing weight thing- I could stand to lose 20-30 pounds, I spent years powerlifting. I wear a 54 jacket and a 38 waist. For years my goal was to be over 250, now I wish I was under that. I would like to avoid a shoulder carry or any thing you have to"dress up" to wear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am 5'8" and weigh aroud 255...I carried a 1911 5" in a Pure Kustom Black Ops and had no problems... I was amazed at how comfortable it was...Robbie

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I am about your size and yes sometimes carrying IWB can be difficult. I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra IWB in a MTAC and a K&D Defender and have found it to be very comfortable. I have found that if I carry around 2:30-3:30 I get the best compromise of comfort and concealment. That way the drape of your shirt is being provided by your shoulder and arm. Your arm also masks any printing of the gun because as you move around your arm is constantly moving your shirt so the drape is constantly changing and the top of the grip is sitting right around/ inside your elbow so it is covered by your arm.

The other adjustment I make is to adjust the holster cant. I cant the holster forward quite a bit and adjust it so it sits pretty low at my waist. The bottom of the trigger guard is right at the top of my pants. It's just high enough to be able to get a good grip during the draw.

If you wear darker colored shirts or T-shirts they will cover up printing better than lighter colors. I often wear a under shirt (or wifebeater) then wear an untucked button up shirt over it. Plaids and Hawaiian type shirts work the best at breaking up the guns print.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a LCP that I pocket carry and a Kel-tec p-11 with the belt clip, but I feel like im going after smaller guns to be comfortable and really just need to get a good holster. I bought a Blade-Tech iwb for my warthog and I just dont like it. My father carrys an owb with smaller 1911s, or his new sr9, but always wears a button up shirt or jacket that covers it. I'm always hot, so a tee shirt is what I normaly wear out. I will look in to a better iwb. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the determinate factor on whether you can comfortably carry an IWB holster, when you are vertically challenged, is how you wear your pants. If you are the type that wears their belt under their belly, then, yes, you will have a problem carrying IWB. OTOH, if you wear your belt across/around your belly, no problem. Actually helps because there is some "give" behind your belt that the holster & gun "melt" into. I have carried for years with VMII's with no issues - don't even have to go oversize on the pants (that squish factor again). HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you are the type that wears their belt under their belly, then, yes, you will have a problem carrying IWB. OTOH, if you wear your belt across/around your belly, no problem. Actually helps because there is some "give" behind your belt that the holster & gun "melt" into. I have carried for years with VMII's with no issues - don't even have to go oversize on the pants (that squish factor again). HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Thugs wear their pants below the belly, and they buy their pants big? Someone told me it makes it easier for them to conceal carry in the IWB. I wonder if they'er always pulling their pants up because they carry to heavy of a gun or don't use a good gun belt?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Pocket carry may work well, perhaps back and front, I am 6' 205 and i do pocket carry but nothing larger than an lcp, with larger pants and pockets you could up it to a 9mm or 40 cal, the guy I took my pistol course from carry a 40 in his pocket and it hid nicely, several here carry a g26, you may be able to carry front right and back left to balance the weight, with a good belt... maybe kangaroo carry holster type thing (there are others I just remember something called kangaroo), sits under your arm under your shirt, take more practice for accesibility but many use it!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
First off lec7018, welcome to the board and I hope you stay around!

Second, and this is not meant as a joke or as any type of criticism, I strongly suggest you get in shape. I am but one inch shorter than you and used to tip the scales a 325 pounds! I was a big boy! Carrying was a burden. A burden that I suffered through for years until I finally snapped out of it and realized that there was no way I could adequately protect my family being so out of shape.

I now weigh 175 pounds, and lift weights 5 days a week and ride upwards of 70 miles on my bicycle on the weekends. I am in the best shape of my life at age 41 and I have found that getting in shape had some very unexpected benefits to carrying and personal safety in general.

1. My endurance and stamina is way better.

2. I sleep much better so I am rested and not tired all the time.

3. Now that my shoulders are wider than my waist, it is no problem to conceal even a full sized handgun even in an OWB holster.

4. I am much more alert and as a result, my situational awareness is much increased.

There are many, many more factors that are better but I won't bore everyone with them here.
If you want to talk about getting in shape, PM me and maybe I can help you get started and give you some motivation. Just so you know I am not BS'ing you, here are a couple of pics to show the before and after me.

That's me on the left in the big blue shirt. This was in 2006

Here's a pic of me and my wife from this weekend. I think even though the shirt is untucked, you can see the difference.
:congrats: Great job losing the weight. I'm 6' 1" and am running about 230. Due to diabetes - and my snack habit, I'm having a hell of a time keeping the weight off once I lose it. Having gone up and down between 230 and 220 for the past few years I know how difficult it is. Just wanted to say Congrats.:hand10:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts