Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in Tennessee & held my CC permit 3 years now. I knew it would expire in October & watched the mail for the renewal form. It came in mid July.

I filled the form out the afternoon I got it & enclosed check. In my heart I didn't want any screw ups so I mailed it the next day- Return Receipt requested.

I waited, and waited... and still waited. My permit expires 10-5-09 (Today.) I went into the drivers licensee center last week to do what I could. The lady behind the counter said it was being processed and could be another couple of months. GRrrrrrrr!!

Today is the last day I can legally carry with my permit. I called the number given to me and left voice mail- no return call.

What do you think? WWYD (what would you do?)
Kyle

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think I would find me some bear spray and/or a stun gun in the meantime. You don't want to lose your license because you got caught carrying between-times.

Be patient.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I would abide by the laws of your local jurisdiction.

If your permit has expired, and you can't legally carry then don't carry.

Biker

·
Registered
43 Posts
That stinks! Only one thing you can do---Stay legal and put it in the safe.
Hope I gets there quickly for you.

MN

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bureaucracies are a PIA, but if your permit has expired, it has expired. You are, for the moment, not permitted to carry. So put it in your gun safe and wait for the mail to arrive.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Did the check get cashed?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Did the check get cashed?
So if your license expires you can still keep your handguns in your home but you can't carry.

While I believe there might be some latitude to keep your handguns if you have proof that you did sent in your renewal application (you get a receipt that you submitted your renewal application), in NY an expired license means you have to surrender your handguns. You can't keep them in your home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In TN the receipt for the handgun carry permit renewal serves as a temporary permit if the original expires before the new permit arrives. It appears that you have no receipt and I doubt a canceled check would be acceptable. If the drivers license center will print out the info showing that your renewal is in progress, that might serve as a temporary permit. Although it is too late for you, Kyle, I suggest that people take their completed renewal form to the driver license center in person. I did that a month ago (the Clinton, TN center), it took less than 10 minutes including a new picture and I have the receipt and a copy of the renewal form with a signed and dated sticker stating that the receipt serves as a temporary permit. They say the renewal can take up to 90 days but if it takes longer you are covered.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In Tn. what is the fine/legal implication of carrying concealed w/out a permit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I mailed in my TN renewal and received a receipt in the mail about 2 weeks later. It simply stated that it was a temporary permit until my new one was processed and arrived. Mine was to expire in November. I sent it in in late May and received the new permit in middle September. Did you receive something from the Dept. of Safety a few weeks after mailing in the form?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I mailed it the next day- Return Receipt requested. Kyle
That was going to be my next question. Did you get back the RRR card in the mail as well?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Nice thing about Ohio's law, we have a grace period, cant remember, I think 30 days from the day it expires. But here, they have 45 days to issue, and I can submit my renewal 60 days prior, so in theory, it should be done in well enough time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
in NY an expired license means you have to surrender your handguns. You can't keep them in your home.
What kind of license do you have? Mine doesn't have an expiration date.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I did get the Return receipt from the USPS & the check cleared. This was the first time I have renewed, and the instructions stated to return the completed form with a check & gave a mailing address... So i mailed it.

I didn't even think about hand delivering it to DL center. Live & learn. I posted this to save (or possibly save) another forum member this frustration.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Yes, I did get the Return receipt from the USPS & the check cleared. This was the first time I have renewed, and the instructions stated to return the completed form with a check & gave a mailing address... So i mailed it.

I didn't even think about hand delivering it to DL center. Live & learn. I posted this to save (or possibly save) another forum member this frustration.
We all live and learn...others will learn from your post here. Now you have to live by the law...time will pass quickly...hang in there.:yup:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Tennessee has to approve or disapprove a first time applicant in 90 days. Because of about 25 people that were approved but had previous felony convictions the renewal process has no time limit on it.
You are legal to carry using the reciept and the coppy of your renewal application. When I renewed this year the Dept of Safety was dragging their feet I called my state senator 's office a young lady took up my cause and within 5 days I had my permit in hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts