Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't seem to find out what this carry position/style is. I know its SOB and I've heard it referred to as "1911 style" but neither of those help me when I try searching for holsters for me or my buddies. I'd like more info on how to find this specific setup. I apologize if this was priorly unclear, I'm not here to discuss the merits and demerits of this carry style. I just need a name
Thanks in advance
SOBINSET_b.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I can't help with what the exact style is, but it looks uncomfortable while seated. Even worse if you end up getting knocked on your back. Good looking rig though. Especially the Sig.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Check the DeSantis web sight. That looks like a DeSantis holster.

·
Premium Member
8,338 Posts
I've seen that referred to as "small of back" carry. What you have pictured is SOB for a right handed shooter.

The configuration shown is the preferred way to carry SOB, as when you twist your shoulder to remove the the gun you will naturally move the muzzle of the gun away from your body.

If the gun were reversed, and you drew with your right hand, you would tend to muzzle your kidney/hip was you bring the gun forward. Not recommended, especially if your body is jumping with adrenaline and you are in fear for your life.

I don't carry SOB; tried it, not for me, seemed to lengthen the time for the draw. But if it works for you, fine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
check out the following Brigade Custom Holsters | Leather Gun Holsters; Concealed Carry Holstsers and Western Holsters
https://www.triplek.com/
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/index.html
Side Guard Holsters - Home Page for Custom Leather Holsters

Small of the back holsters...ok for small firearms I guess, but uncomfortable for full size, IMO, have a smob holster for a Makorov, all my other gun leathers sits at 3 - 4- 5 - oclock...there are better offerings from Europe for this type holster, as it more popular and in some cases required by law...WElcome to the Forum

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I took a class at front sight several years ago and one day my assigned buddy carried SOB. He was amazingly fast on the draw but he did cover others on the line and he had to change method while in the classes. I'm still amazed remembering his draw. I have enough health issues I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I wouldn't carry that way since I have no butt my pants would constantly be falling down. Plus I'd be too concerned about falling, landing on my pistol and damaging my spine.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have thought about it, but in Florida its hard enough carrying Iwb.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I tried it quite a few years ago with a Galco, didn't care for it.

It made my belt line sag, even with a very good carry specific belt. Just felt "odd," your experience may differ.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
SOB carry saved my life once. I was a police detective in an unmarked unit when I spotted 3 suspicious males outside a gun store at 3am. I confronted them and they started to make a move on me with one reaching under his sweat shirt hoodie in a hostile manner. I drew my 1911 from a right side IWB holster and held all 3 at gunpoint until back-up arrived. Searching the hoodie guy I found he was trying to draw a 380 from a SOB holster when I beat him to the draw. A 4th guy that I hadn't seen was breaking in the rear door while the 3 in front watched for cops. Moral of the story? SOB carry is too slow, especially when wearing a sweat shirt.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The danger of SOB small of back carry is if you ever fall or are pushed and land on your gun it can really do some spinal damage. Not a smart way to carry I'm afraid to tell you.
I see comments like this quite a lot but I haven't been pushed in a way that caused me to land on my back since I played football in high school 45 years ago. And in the 20+ years I've used an SOB holster for my PPK/s I've yet to fall on my back. That's not saying I won't do that some day. But condemning a carry style based on the assumption that anyone using it will suffer such an injury is misleading. If I were a street cop and got into physical encounters with perps then I wouldn't consider SOB carry. And I wouldn't consider it for a full size pistol like a double stacked 9. But I'm not in agreement with those who claim this to be a poor choice for CC. With the right gun, on the right person I don't see a problem with it at all. Plus, it's easily slipped over to the hip for a more reachable fit if one wanted to do that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The risk of falling on your back has more to do with being pushed down in a physical confrontation. Like the kind that is one reason many carry a firearm. Dangerous and aggressive people are out there.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
:duh:It's a no-go for me as well. Yet the OP did NOT ask if I approved, he just asked where he could BUY one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts