Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang... at first my wife was going to carry her shield in a holster, within a section of her purse, but our CWP instructor advised against purse carry saying "well what if they take your purse or a thief cuts the purse loose and runs off"

paranoia or reasoning behind it?

I don't see my wife carrying on her person IWB or the like...

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Off the body carry is ill advised for that exact reason. Purses get sat down on floors, they get loosely gripped and dangled from a hand, etc. All making them extremely easy to lose, forget or get stolen. Plus, should she ever need it in a hurry she may fumble with it and/or a bad guy/gal could easily see her reaching into her purse and quickly subdue her. If her purse is under her when she hits the ground, it's probably game over. I would suggest possibly a sturdy, good quality belly band depending on her body type if she is totally opposed to traditional holsters. Flashbang bras are in a lot of use around my way, but the Shield is a bit big for that kind of carry.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
There is some reasoning behind it. Those are valid concerns. There are purpose built purses with reinforced straps to prevent being cut or ripped off the body. However I think those instances are rare. It would be more likely for the purse to be snatched, or picked up from her side at a restaurant.

Bottom line is, if it's the only way she feels comfortable carrying, it's a decent option. She just needs to be very mindful of her surroundings and not leave it vulnerable to be grabbed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there recommended body bands for holstering? she wears lots of blouses and skirts, loose tops, etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope you get a suggestion that my wife would consider. She carries hers in one of those carry purses and I don't like it because it would be easier to leave it somewhere than personal carry, I think. When you have Secret Services and FBI leaving theirs in bathrooms you can understand how a woman could leave her purse. Besides, I have never thought the gun was that accessible being out of reach sometimes when the gun might be needed. My wife never listens to me , maybe she will listen to one of you :smile:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Are there recommended body bands for holstering? she wears lots of blouses and skirts, loose tops, etc
Well, there are good brands, but they're not all made equal. Galco and Desantis both make good ones, though she needs to make sure she chooses one size up from her actual size. Otherwise she may find herself feeling like she has one of those whale-bone corsets from the olden days on her. Most of them can be configured as below the waistline wear, cross draw and strong side, under the shoulders, etc. Even one size up may not be comfortable for all day, every day carry. Also be mindful of where the "pouches" on them are. You could have one that puts the weapon right where you want it, but the magazine pouches are in an awkward position further away from the gun pouch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Read the comments on this thread:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...etting-her-ccw-what-purses-good-carrying.html

I used purse carry as a gateway drug for my wife, eventually moving her to better ways of carrying. Started her with a very small purse always carried cross body and never removed when out in public. Eventually transitioned to a Galco belly band. The belly band is great- she can wear it no matter what outfit- even dresses.

Yes, that means she has to flip up her dress to get to the gun, but it is very fast, and I make her practice. I mean, practice makes perfect, right? Of course not just because I like to watch the free show . . . :)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
My wife was resistant as well to on body, but now carries a G43 in a well armed women kydex holder with a util clip without a belt.
Didn't like the belly band.

·
Premium Member
8,135 Posts
Can I give that 100 likes? I just gave away a smart carry that hubby tried and could NOT wear and I tried it on once and it was gosh awful. We wear clothes that fit, and the smart carry makes an enormous bulge for both of us, not to mention adding so much bulk that it was impossible to fasten the waist of pants, let alone pull up the zipper. AND for this woman, it makes it all but impossible to go to the bathroom in a hurry. When I was 30 years younger I didn't have this "hurry" problem. I also didn't carry a gun when I was 30 years younger.

There are some exceptional belly bands made for women by women. The cornered cat is your very best starting place to find a good one.

Note: I do not and cannot wear a belly band of any kind. I wear pants (jeans) almost all the time and sometimes carry in a minimal Kydex holster IWB and sometimes in a leather OWB holster. I think I still own a dress or two - somewhere way back in a closet.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
My wife carries in a Coronado Leather purse that doesn't have wire, but the leather is thick enough that someone isn't just going to cut through it without seriously going to work. She carries it cross body, so they can't just grab it from her. Obviously, off body is not the ideal, but we're talking about real life here.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My wife uses a Raven Concealment purse defender. Fits in all her purses and she carries it even when she is not carrying. Not the best method of carry, but at least she is carrying. Can't put your purse down for even an instant though. There were several good comments here about purse sturdiness that I'd not though of too. I'm sending it to my wife as well.

Thankfully we don't venture off our acreage very often, we are usually together, and I always carry when we do.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Been there,done that, still doing it

My reply to a recent thread on this topic:I have dealt with this issue for 30 years. I got over it, or at least past it. While off body carry is not the best choice from a defensive standpoint, it beats the heck out of leaving the gun behind. So to answer your question: Concealed Carry Feminine Protection Products Handbags Conceal Concealment Handgun Gun Purses. http://theconcealmentshop.com/Handbags.php

The design of the gun pouch is the best style for its purpose, plus material and workmanship are second to none. Several styles and colors to choose from. A bit more pricey than some others but darn well worth it.

For on body carry some ladies find outside waistband vertical cross-draw works well. A loose fitting vest or jacket to cover it is easy. For casual wear a t-shirt type blouse and an unbuttoned shirt works well.

Strong side carry usually puts the gun butt too high for ladies to draw , especially if they are short-waisted.

She will need to experiment herself to see what works for her.

Congratulations to you both for her deciding to carry.

Good luck in your quest.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts