Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Reading through some of the threads I'm surprised to see how many of you carry more than one knife on a routine basis. I do have a little Swiss army on my key ring, but not counting that I just carry one 4" blade folder.

So there's my question: why do you all carry more than one defensive knife?

Jackpine

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I only carry one, but have thought of carrying two.

After a while you feel like a G I Joe with so much stuff, and the most of us will never use any of it in a defense mode.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Usually just 1, but sometimes two. Especially if I'm going somewhere where I can't carry my gun.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Usually just 1, but sometimes two. Especially if I'm going somewhere where I can't carry my gun.
Same here. I'll usually only carry two when I can't carry a gun.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi all,
Reading through some of the threads I'm surprised to see how many of you carry more than one knife on a routine basis. I do have a little Swiss army on my key ring, but not counting that I just carry one 4" blade folder.

So there's my question: why do you all carry more than one defensive knife?

Jackpine
If I'm drawing a knife for SD, it is a lethal force situation. It also most likely means that I have been tackled and am in a grappling situation and I can't get to my handgun (otherwise I would have drawn my handgun). When you are in a grappling situation, you don't know which hand will be able to get to which location. Having more options is better, especially since carry an additional knife has extremely little logistical cost (as opposed to carrying an additional handgun).

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I'm drawing a knife for SD, it is a lethal force situation. It also most likely means that I have been tackled and am in a grappling situation and I can't get to my handgun (otherwise I would have drawn my handgun). When you are in a grappling situation, you don't know which hand will be able to get to which location. Having more options is better, especially since carry an additional knife has extremely little logistical cost (as opposed to carrying an additional handgun).
Agree, plus if you've bought two knives because you wanted to, saw another knife , etc. what's the point of leaving it to sit in a drawer at home?

·
Registered
212 Posts
one knife, one gun w/mag, one light and an extra mag.... KISS is the only way to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i always have at least one on me, but i will carry two every now and them. ill keep either my spyderco atlantic salt or my benchmade minigriptilian on the left side, and my kabar tdi on the right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been known to carry multiples.:embarassed: But at most I have at least two a Kabar TDI and Blackhawk Crucible FX2 both very fine knives and are carried for close in engagments where I can't access my handgun or two keep someone from accessing my handgun. :twak: Have a happy New Year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I generally carry 3 knives, a Kershaw Blur plain edge strong side, a cheapy S&W SWAT with a partially serrated blade for normal cutting tasks, and then a Kershaw Chive weak side as a last ditch effort knife. Over the next couple months I'm planning to buy a Boker Subcom folder and an Endura wave for carry as well. At that time I'll have both bigger knives and the Smith everyday and the Subcom and Chive on campus where I can only carry knives under 2"

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I assume most here are talking at least in part about the defensive use of the knife, here are my thoughts-

For me it is dependent on environment and wardrobe.

Before retiring I wore the same uniform everyday. Everything was in the same position all the time...kinda uniform. My primary deadly force option was was my Glock 19 on my gun belt. My favorite mechanical force option was my ASP, behind my gun. When responding to a persons call I always had my collapsed baton secreted in my strong side hand. When I had evaluated what was going on the ASP would be holstered as the pad and pen came out. If it was not that kind of a situation the ASP was already in my hand. It being collapsed allowed me to do all kinds of stuff with it that most guys used a flashlight for, but their flashlight could not be expanded to 26 inches. My primary duty knife was an Al Mar 2000 (still my favorite production folder of all time) I did not consider it for primarily for defensive purposes. Carried in my strong side rear pocket it was for utility purposes.

Try as I might taking into account all the fights and situations I had been in I could not envision a situation working uniform where I would ever have the chance to use a strong side folder knife. Doing so would mean that my gun was broke, stuck in the holster, or gone! If this were the case I would be going for the 38 snubbie on my vest, not a knife. It must be a shooting situation if something happened to my primary and I needed another.... right?

Again drawing from training and experience what I thought my biggest exposure would be was someone trying to disarm me. For me the principle of in the holster weapons retention is to keep the gun in the holster until you can get it out without fighting over it. To me that means pinning the gun in the holster forcing the attacker to focus on it. IMHO there is no better blade option for weapon retention than the Emerson Karambit worn reaction side in reverse grip. Using natural inverted edge tactics it allows you to cut the attacker off your gun, draw your gun, and retain both because of the ring on the K-bit.

I did carry a fixed blade in different locations depending on the weather. Usually the Jones Brothers Police Rescue Knife (PRK) that I designed. It was a hold out knife, for Onion Field insurance (if you are not familiar, you need to be). That was on duty.

Now I am retired and unless I am teaching prefer to wear PT shorts and kilts...yes kilts...I have developed quite a fondness.

These days the majority of the time I leave the house I am wearing a Taurus Model 85 snubbie in a belly band. Unless I am feeling particularly vulnerable the only knife I carry is the Al Mar 2000 clipped IWB. Again, not for defense but for utility. Carrying my closed ASP in my hand has been replaced by the Gerber Artifact on my keychain. As a civilian now I have no need to restrain anyone. The open Artifact is to cut my way to my pistol if need be.

Now, if for some reason I am in a situation where I cannot carry my pistol, I will have the need for a Primary Defensive Folder. Most of the time a Spyderco Endura. It will be carried in my strong side front pocket or IWB per MCS doctrine. Sans pistol it is my primary deadly force option.

If you are carrying a knife for self-defense and don't have a trainer for it you have no idea how hard it will be to deploy it under stress. Do you even have a plan? Get some training that is applicable to your needs. If you are carrying a pistol you will find lots of "knife schools" lacking in what you are looking for. You need a battery, not a collection of tools.- George

·
Registered
493 Posts
One word:

Options...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Carry 4.

Dogfish neck knife. Griptilian weak side rear pocket, Kershaw Chive behind Blackberry, Lupa Lupa Corto strong side front pocket. More of them on weak side as I am carrying my handgun on strong side.

If in the field I will carry a fixed blade somewhere depending on how I am dressed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts