Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else done this?
is there anything wrong with carrying a concealed gun before shooting?
i bought a p30 recently and havent had the time to find bullets much less go to the range.
i am carrying it with gold speer jhp though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Seems to me it would be like flying an airplane but never taking time to learn how to fly it....sooner or later someone is going to get hurt. If you are not sure how you and/or the weapon will react in a given situation, you are just looking for trouble. Three rules to remember 1. Practice, 2. Practice, 3. Repeat #'s 1 &2. :wave:

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to me it would be like flying an airplane but never taking time to learn how to fly it....sooner or later someone is going to get hurt. If you are not sure how you and/or the weapon will react in a given situation, you are just looking for trouble. Three rules to remember 1. Practice, 2. Practice, 3. Repeat #'s 1 &2. :wave:

Andy

would a better analogy be knowing how to fly airplanes but flying an unfamiliar airplane?

·
Banned
265 Posts
Nah, trigger time on paper or on BG....its all the same! jk

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Not a good idea at all. Friend of mine bought a new Taurus .38spl but has a CZ 9mm as well. He carries the CZ most of the time but the Taurus was a bit smaller and easier to conceal. He was going to take it on a trip before shooting it, but at the last moment decided to take it to the range. There was a problem with the cylinder and the revolver would not fire. Taurus has since made it right, but had he not tried it first and had to use it, who knows what may have happend

·
Registered
288 Posts
I will admit I did it when I purchased a new Kahr PM9 and carried it for about a week. The PM9 requires about 200 rounds to break it in and there is a significant change once the gun breaks in.

I think it's a terrible idea to carry any gun you haven't shot before whether purchased new or used. There are so many inherent problems it's hard to start a list due to time constraints. Murphy's Law also comes to mind.

My situation was either don't carry or carry a new gun I have never fired. Business & Business dress attire was the limiting factor between the firearms on my CCW license and my work situation for the week.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Definitely a no-go.

Even if you have the most reputable gun in the world by the most reputable company, you may have a lemon. The more rounds you have through it, the more confidant you can be in its reliability and your ability to shoot it accurately. Zero rounds through it to me means zero reliability.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would advise against it. You at least have to run a couple boxes of target loads through to test function. More importantly a few mags of your chosen defensive load. To rely on an unproven sidearm in a life or death situation is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ditto on Murphy's law. In the heat of the moment is a terrible time to find out how the controls work, what quirks the gun has with a particular brand of ammo, or if the gun shoots at all.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Definitely a no-go.

Even if you have the most reputable gun in the world by the most reputable company, you may have a lemon. The more rounds you have through it, the more confidant you can be in its reliability and your ability to shoot it accurately. Zero rounds through it to me means zero reliability.

+1
Saved me the typing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought a S&W 442-1 this weekend and just made a special purpose trip to the range to make sure it goes "BANG" before I carry it. I would never carry a gun until I know it works.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've seen brand new guns (shotguns) that didnt fire.

No way I would carry a gun, a self defense gun at that, without shooting it first. I dont understand the thinking behind this. This gun is to save your life ... right? Does it go bang? I know, you cant answer that.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
An unreliable gun is still unreliable no matter how many times you pull the trigger... know your gun before you carry it... hence knowing you are carrying a reliable gun is a great idea.

So, I have always put a few hundred rounds through any of my carry gun before I carry it... plus you need to know how it feels in your hands while you are shooting the gun.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Nothing wrong with carrying a pistol before shooting it if you're familiar with it and it's operation really.......do what you want even though I might tell you it's part of your responsibility as a carrier to do so. Personally I would never do that.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I'm not a gambler. I want to KNOW that the gun functions properly. But, like RamRod said, do what you want. I don't know what your situation is, but if you have loved ones depending on your ability to protect them with said gun, do you really want that question unanswered?

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
If it's your only CC weapon, I would make the time to take it to the range and put some rounds through it. If money is tight. I would suggest a minimum of 50 to 100 rounds ball ammo to make sure all the burs and tight areas of the action are worked pretty well, and a of minimum 25 to 50 rounds of defense loads. If money or the lack of the ammo is just not there. At least work the action on the pistol several hundred times, (100 to 200 ) to simulate the firing and do it with little to no oil on the slide rails to maximize the ware. Then break it down and clean it and oil it up and rack the slide a few more times.

This is what I do to all my new autos to minimize the breakin that some manufactures ask for. Again, like the others stated, you really owe it to yourself to get some trigger time with it and get to know how it's going to function for ya. Good luck! :bier:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Aside from what everyone else has mentioned, it's always a very good idea to shoot (as many as you can afford) rounds of whatever ammo you'll be carrying just to make sure it likes that brand of ammo.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Though it's probably reliable, I personally wouldn't do it. I brought a brand new Taurus to the range once, and when I inserted the loaded mag, it seated properly and it chambered a round. After it fired the first round it jammed. And jammed again. And again. The feed ramp had a burr that wasn't visible on cursory inspection.

You can just never tell.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well it is always a good idea to "test" fire (not break-in like so many so called high quality guns claim:rolleyes:) However I would (maybe) carry an unfired pistol only if where a Glock or good revolver(after a few dry fires).YMMV

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I would want to 'test' any mechanical item I'm may use to save my life...OMOYMV

1 - 20 of 56 Posts