Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Virginia and I will be traveling by car through North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and finally staying a few days in Florida. It is my understanding that I am good to go with my carry permit in North and South Carolina (full reciprocity with those states), but I am not sure about Georgia. They currently do not accept Virginia permits but I don't understand the transport rules for persons with no permits or no residency. I am planning to call the Georgia state policy but any info you have would help.. Also anything to watch out for in Florida. I am going to spend about a week there and will be carrying there. ( if this is in the wrong section please move it).

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I just got back from Oregon where they don't recognize Utah permits so at the Idaho border I stop and put gun and mag in a lock box. Then it goes in the back of the SUV. I'm not certain but I believe that is a good to go way to travel about anywhere except New Jersey. Don't take my word for it though. Check handgunlaw.us

Some states (I believe New Jersey is one of them) where you can't have hollow points PERIOD. NO how no way nowhere in your vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm very fortunate to have a LEOSA ID, so that I can carry in all 49 states (not counting NY:wink: ) I have a concealed carry in my state anyway, just as an extra piece of credentials, but I know that it alone won't allow me to carry in every state.

To carry in Hawaii, even with my LEOSA, I have to check in at the local police department to get permission. Of course I don't know if I would want to go through the hassle of putting my weapon and ammo in luggage to do it.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Go to Handgunlaw.us and click on GA, it has a section of carry in vehicles without permits.

This site is the best all around source for laws concerning carry. I always print every states page that I will be traveling through to have the references.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I recently traveled to Georgia from Virginia and while touring there, kept my firearm disassemble and hidden in my trunk with the barrel in a ziplock bag in my wife's purse. The FOPA allows you to travel through states with a firearm secured in an area of your vehicle where you do not have easy access to it and while unloaded with the ammunition in a separate place... as long as you can legally posses that firearm in your states of departure and destination.

Georgia also allows open carry but I think you have to have a permit to do this (I may be wrong with this). I contacted an assistant attorney general in Georgia before my trip and found that there was just no hope in that state having reciprocity with Virginia. The reason? Georgia issues permits to military personnel who are at least 18 years old whereas you must be 21 in Virginia to receive a permit. Funny thing, Virginia recognizes Georgia permits.

Perhaps in the next couple of years these two states will come around and have reciprocity.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I belive but, check handgunlaw.us first, In Georgia you can carry in the glove box of your car.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Check out the state law. Exceptions:

8. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back from Oregon where they don't recognize Utah permits so at the Idaho border I stop and put gun and mag in a lock box. Then it goes in the back of the SUV. I'm not certain but I believe that is a good to go way to travel about anywhere except New Jersey. Don't take my word for it though. Check handgunlaw.us

Some states (I believe New Jersey is one of them) where you can't have hollow points PERIOD. NO how no way nowhere in your vehicle.
''

The handgunlaw site was not clear on transport..that is why I asked the question to the forum. I will call the georgia and florida state police and report back

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out the state law. Exceptions:

8. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;
I saw that but then the next sentence is confusing.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
''

The handgunlaw site was not clear on transport..that is why I asked the question to the forum. I will call the georgia and florida state police and report back
It really is pretty straight forward from the GA page on handgunlaw.us.
§ 16-11-126.
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for
homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a)Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on
his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or
place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(c)Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may
have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
If you're in your car you can carry without a permit in GA.

You can transport it outside of your car if it's carried in a container and unloaded.

Reactions: high pockets

·
Registered
82 Posts
The best info I found for traveling is the Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States. Due to my situation I buy a new updated copy every year for around $15 on line. It's an excellent guide, updated every year, with all the necessary contact info. This has kept me out of trouble for many years. Also, another good idea is to get a Florida non resident permit. Mine cost $117 and it's good for 7 years and good in approx 33 states including Georgia. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another great resource is an app for your smartphone if you have one. It's called CCW and cost a few bucks but is kept up to date frequently, when you open the app it will ask you if there has been changes if you want to update.
The nice thing about it is that you put in your permits and it stores a map that highlights the state that you can carry in. You can click on a state on the map and pull up a ton of info that is easy to use. I highly recommend it if you travel any at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You'll find Florida is pretty easy, just no open carry and restaurant carry means stay away from the bar; the rest of the restrictions are pretty close to most other states but of course check the statutes and handgunlaw for yourself, as always.

Getting a FL nonresident permit will simplify your future visits to GA and most other states.

·
Registered
41,329 Posts
You are good to go with your VA permit while in FL. No need to get a FL permit. FL statute 790.06 will tell you all you need to know about where you can and can't carry. 790.25 will tell you all about handguns in a private vehicle--with or without a permit.

Reactions: stealthygun

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You can also check the NRA pages for CCW laws.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use the app CCW which makes it easy as it quickly shows which states are reciprocal, and as you look at a state has links to their laws. We travel nationwide FullTime and it's been a huge help without having to carry reems of paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Virginia and I will be traveling by car through North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and finally staying a few days in Florida. It is my understanding that I am good to go with my carry permit in North and South Carolina (full reciprocity with those states), but I am not sure about Georgia. They currently do not accept Virginia permits but I don't understand the transport rules for persons with no permits or no residency. I am planning to call the Georgia state policy but any info you have would help.. Also anything to watch out for in Florida. I am going to spend about a week there and will be carrying there. ( if this is in the wrong section please move it).
I just wanna mention one peculiarity about Florida. As you probably know in the Carolinas and Virginia if you take your weapon into a place that serves alcohol you cannot drink. If you must drink then you must leave your weapon outside. The state of Georgia (and WV and PA for that matter) are silent on the subject. I've seen no regulation against drinking while carrying in those states. I've seen people drinking in bars in PA (my home state) that were carrying. But one state has a peculiar law and that is Florida. Say you walk into a Ruby Tuesdays in Florida. If you are carrying concealed you not only cannot drink in a Florida bar, but you must avoid walking thru the bar area in that Ruby Tuesday or any other bar-restaurant that serves alcohol.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Although NC Bullseye hit the nail on the head with his reference to GA 16-11-126, and Handgunlaw.us is an excellent resource, you can also check either of the following sites:

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org
or
Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

Further from GA Statutes:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts