Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of CCL holders here mention they carry full size guns, like 1911's, larger SIG's and Glocks or Ruger P series. I've often wondered how a person conceals a large gun on a daily basis. I can see individuals who wear coats or other long, loose fitting clothes (especially in winter), but what about the person who lives in a hot climate or can't wear loose clothes due to their job?

I have 1911's, Rugers, CZ's and other larger frame handguns and find it very difficult to comfortably carry and conceal them unless I'm wearing something like a raincoat or other loose coat, but living in TX, it looks a bit odd wearing a coat in July or a raincoat when it hasn't rained in three months. How do you guys that carry larger guns do it under these conditions, assuming you do?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
to start we would need to know how you normaly dress, its kinda hard to make any recomendations without knowing your normal dress , concealing full size handguns in a short sleved shirt and tie is a bit diff from concealing as a construction worker LOL

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
RA, I think you may have commented on my use of the Houston holster and its concealability. I currently have a similar paddle on the way for a PT 24/7, full size .40. I'll take some pictures of me with it on. All I wear to conceal it is a T-thirt. You'd be surprised. You just gotta make sure your T-shirt isn't skin tight. But, since you live in a hot climate, you probably don't wear tight clothes anyway. As for your job and having to wear tight clothes....Deep IWB or ankle holster seems about the only options.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Robert - yep I am one of the ''large and heavy'' club!

Well this time of year of course no prob's at all - open padded shirt is the norm for cover. In summer tho - hot and humid, I want minimal clothing (I sweat buckets!) but do find my Smith & Alexander vest ideal. It is plenty long enough, and as I bike a lot does not really (IMO) ''shout'' carry! My NAA mini lives in front right pocket and small weight of that also helps with ''wind blow'' aspects.

Equally tho I can put on a very lightweight short sleeve denim shirt and get similar cover, and not forgetting real large T-Shirts - which can also do the trick.

I have posted pics of my rig - expect you saw them. Well - even OWB I still have gun tight to self and about only give-away would be base of grips if I bend wrong.

I admit I am lucky in as much as - work from home most of time and so going out is relatively intermittent but that said - my choice is carry piece first - then finding a way to conceal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I carry a full size Glock 21 or 22 most of the time. I wear an IWB Don Hume, and a tshirt over it. Woks fine, so long as I don't bend from the waist. It takes getting used to. I've found that an underarmor knockoff shirt is nice to have on under your tshirt. Really, it's a matter of determination and the proper equipment for your build. :bier:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I carry a Fullsize 1911 in a Max-Con V IWB holster. In the summer all I usually use for cover is a one size larger t-shirt. I find the extra cant on the Max-Con V keeps the grip from printing, except when bending over.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Walther P99 full size in a PagerPal or on my Beltster. Gotta dress around the piece to some extent.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Brian45 said:
I carry a Fullsize 1911 in a Max-Con V IWB holster. In the summer all I usually use for cover is a one size larger t-shirt. I find the extra cant on the Max-Con V keeps the grip from printing, except when bending over.

Same setup for me. It's always summer here. I'm not very big either.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I prefer to wear a tucked in t-shirt between me and the weapon, whether IWB or OWB. Then I cover it with an untucked heavy weight shirt. I found a deal on heavy cotton, long sleeve button downs at Dillard's last Spring and stocked up heavily. The trick for me is using a stiff enough cover shirt that it doesn't conform to the gun, dark colors and patterns also tend to hide printing better - I wear darker colors but avoid patterns ... guess I'll never make it as a Parrothead.

Other than that, a good carry rig with a quality gunbelt and the problem is solved.
Jack

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I carry a G21, definitely a full-size pistol, in a C-Tac IWB @8:30. I am of average size and weight, and find no difficulty concealing it in warm weather even with only a white T-shirt. In cooler weather, I add an LL Bean vest and the pistol really disappears.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
for me its IWB, or deep tuckable with a loose t shirt or button down shirt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I carry a 5" kimber year round,Sparks VM2, wife beater shirt with either t-shirt or light wt. button up shirt, in the summer ,long sleeve pull over shirts in the winter. I'm 6'3" 230lbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry a full size 1911 alot of the time.I use a C-TAC holster and most any of my shirts will not print.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I carry full sized 1911, always wear t-shirt and vest, winter I just layer shirts and sweaters. If it gets really hot in summer I wear cargo shorts and large t-shirt.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I guess I dress 'Carhart normal', combined with 'Goodwill sales day'.

Manage to carry multiple guns winter and summer with no problem.

Primary right now is a 4" 44mag. Second is an L frame, with a J frame as bug.

6' , 170lbs---and because I am old, I look old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Smart Carry. I carry a 4" SA XD40 or a 3" SA XD9 SC. They both conceal very well. If I am out in the winter with a coat or heavier jacket, I will wear the smart carry over the shirt and under the jacket.
In summer, shorts and t-shirt still conceals it well.
Shaf

·
Registered
139 Posts
I carry a Beretta 96 0r 92fs IWB I can conceal it well and don't know I have it on most of the time wearing large t-shirts or sweat shirts.merlin45kout

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I can conceal my HK USP with a loose t and a IWB holster fairly well.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Although my off-duty weapons are nice and compact Kahr 9mm's, my work gun is a SIGARMS P229 carried in OWB holsters underneath tucked out short sleeve collared shirts or suits.

I'm not a big guy either.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Just got to find a iwb that works well i carried my glock 17 and mostly a 1911 5 inch all summer in shorts and a tshirt halster makes the differance ..

Course if you one of those guys who like to wear skin tight pants and shirts you screwed

1 - 20 of 53 Posts