Defensive Carry banner

Carrying in the car?

2K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Ram Rod 
#1 ·
When you have a coat on to cover the gun and you get into the car to go somewhere,can you take off the coat and expose the gun on you're hip while driving?
And is it legal?

#4 ·
Who's going to see it anyway ? Just cover it up when you get out.

#21 ·
As long as it's not violating any law, I totally agree! :yup:

#6 ·
I found my answer but this might help others.
"Open Car Carry Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, concealed handgun permits accepted by KS make the holder exempt from all local open carry bans. "
This is for Kansas.

#8 ·
"Open Car Carry Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, concealed handgun permits accepted by KS make the holder exempt from all local open carry bans. "
This is for Kansas.
Good to know; I sometimes go through Kansas. If you happen to come to Colorado, anyone legally owning a handgun may have it loaded in the vehicle while here, "and it shall not be considered concealed".

#7 ·
Excellent. Personally, I'm concealed 100% of the time, even though MN is good either way. Yes, it takes a bit more effort, trial, and (we hope not) error.

#11 ·
In Michigan you can open carry, but when you step in a car you are now "concealed" and must have a CPL.

#12 ·
In Michigan, you must have a CPL. Open carry is legal, but as soon as you step foot into a vehicle, it's considered concealed.

If you don't have a CPL, you must put it in the trunk and separate it from the ammo. Many diehard OCers get a CPL only so they don't have to go through this hassle.

#16 ·
Any state that prohibits unlicensed vehicle carry is not an "open carry" state by my definition.

I am hopeful that a good SCOTUS decision in McDonald v. Chicago will eventually put an end to this nonsense.

In Michigan...Open carry is legal, but as soon as you step foot into a vehicle, it's considered concealed.
It sounds like open carry on a bicycle or motorcycle would be legal, but not in a car.

#17 ·
Purely a state and or local matter.

Ohio's an open carry state. If you have an Ohio CHL you can carry a gun in a holster on your body (including a pocket holster), open or concealed.

In fact, until recently open carry in vehicles was REQUIRED when carrying on body. That's been done away with.

#19 ·
If you have a CCW permit and you're in FL, the gun can be on you, next to you, but it must not be visible from the outside. If it's not on my person, or I have a second firearm with me, it's either between the seat and console, on the seat, or under my leg. On the seat it may just have a hat over it...that's legal.:comeandgetsome:

#23 ·
It is legal to do that here, but most of the time it's so darn cold it would be suicide to take off your coat. However a car in good working condition should have a decent heating system. I guarantee you though as soon as you park the car and open your door, you'll be scrambling to put that coat back on LOL!

#24 ·
I have stated this in other posts i allways wear a black leather vest. Summer and Winter. In Winter i just put the vest on then the heavier coat on over that. That way I didn't have to worry about it.

#25 ·
I love window tint....don't you? I can open carry in my vehicle and still be concealed. I'm in my own property while I'm driving my vehicle. Seems simple enough to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.