Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NW PA and am a stones throw from NY and OH. Sometimes when I'm on my bike riding back roads I will find I've wandered into the other state, but I haven't ridden while carrying yet. So how would I go about getting licensed in each state to be legal?
And another thing I was wondering... and this is kind of a peeve of mine... In lieu of the Burress thing, when they are talking about NY gun laws are they referring to the whole state or the city? I notice that a lot of people refer to NYC as simply NY, as if it's the only city in NY. Are the gun laws in NY tough as a whole, or is it just NYC?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You really don't want to carry in NY state without a NYS ccw. And you can't get that as a non resident. The gun laws throughout the state are tough, and NY city as a rule is even worse. I believe you can get a minimum of 1 year in prison for "illegal" carry.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You really don't want to carry in NY state without a NYS ccw. And you can't get that as a non resident. The gun laws throughout the state are tough, and NY city as a rule is even worse. I believe you can get a minimum of 1 year in prison for "illegal" carry.
+ 1 in NY they only trust residents and police. As for OH I believe the FL CCW will cover you there.

Cheers,

·
Registered
763 Posts
+ 1 in NY they only trust residents and police
They really only trust the police, and then that's on a limited basis:image035:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping not to hear that about the state of NY. Shoot.

What do you mean a FL CCW is good in Ohio? What's FL? Florida? I'm not familiar with all the acronyms used here yet and I can't believe the easiest way for me to carry in OH would be to get a FLA permit first...

Nice smokers BBQ. I use a WSM.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not familiar with all the acronyms used here yet and I can't believe the easiest way for me to carry in OH would be to get a FLA permit first...
Look into getting a Non FL resident permit to make you legal in Ohio. Plex just got 2 years in prison for carrying in NY City. He had a Florida permit, but allowed it to expire, which wouldn't have mattered in NY anyways.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look into getting a Non FL resident permit to make you legal in Ohio. Plex just got 2 years in prison for carrying in NY City. He had a Florida permit, but allowed it to expire, which wouldn't have mattered in NY anyways.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the advice. It sure seems weird though. Must be for all the snowbirds that leave OH for FLA in winter that they reciprocate.
How can I apply for one in FLA? Do they have an online form?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks for the advice. It sure seems weird though. Must be for all the snowbirds that leave OH for FLA in winter that they reciprocate. How can I apply for one in FLA? Do they have an online form?
Start here:

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Actually it has nothing to do with snowbirds, or any kind of bird. :smile: It has to do with the reciprocity between individual states and the recognition of one state's licensing procedure being accepted by another state. Having a CPL from FL will allow you to carry in over 30 states (at the moment).

·
Registered
47 Posts
you cannot carry in ohio with a PA permit, but if you get the florida non-res permit you can. look on this website:
Handgunlaw.us

-spoz

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was doing the quick scroll on that FLA PDF file and that thing looks brutal. PA's is a ten minute papperwork fill out and a pic. In and out in 15 minutes if there's no line. A couple weeks later you get it in the mail. I guess I was hoping for a similar permit issue in OH. I'm in NY a heck of a lot more than OH though... Maybe I'll just stay at home (lol).

·
Registered
205 Posts
DO NOT GO TO NY, NJ, OR MD WITH A GUN! THEY DO NOT HONOR OUT OF STATE PERMITS, MATTER OF SPEAKING THEY ARE MAY ISSUE STATES, MEANING YOU AS A RESIDENT AREN'T GUARENTEED A PERMIT. YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR RIGHT TO CARRY ANYWHERE AS THE RESULT OF BRINGING A GUN TO ANY OF THESE STATES

For us lving in PA, the neighoring states of NY, MD, NJ are off limits to us. WV is the only neighboring state that will honor your PA permit. You'll need a UT or FL permit to carry in the neighboring states of OH and DE. It really sucks being cornered here in PA :frown: It's sad that most of the 13 orginal colonies are anit-2A.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can bring a gun to MD, Just keep it locked up with the ammo separated and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can bring a gun to MD, Just keep it locked up with the ammo separated and you'll be fine.
Only if my destination is to another state with reciprocity and only make emergency stops while in MD, then you'll be in accordance with the federal interstate transportation laws to have a gun in MD. But if you're destination is MD then you're not protected by the federal interstate transportation laws and you're in possecion of an illegal firearm.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
NY your out of luck, they do not recognize any out of state permits, and they do not issue non-resident permits. As for Ohio, get a non-resident permit from a state they honor and you'll be good to go. VA permits are honored in both PA and OH.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nice smokers BBQ. I use a WSM.
Thanks, the Brinkmann is a pretty good smoker, that is a stock photo, I have modified mine with a second thermometer and hardi board on the outside walls for insulation. Yet, I have turned to the dark side; these days I am a complete pellet head. I still keep the Brinkmann and a homemade smoker for nostalgia but really only use my Traegers; I have the 070 and 075, pellets make life too easy.

Peace

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It could be worse, BBQ.... you could be one of these guys using electric.
lololol

Thanks for the info guys.
So I take it the easist way to be legal to carry in OH is to get a non-resident permit in FLA. I'll check into that route then. It still seems like a roundabout way though. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
DO NOT GO TO NY, NJ, OR MD WITH A GUN! THEY DO NOT HONOR OUT OF STATE PERMITS, MATTER OF SPEAKING THEY ARE MAY ISSUE STATES, MEANING YOU AS A RESIDENT AREN'T GUARENTEED [sic] A PERMIT. YOU WILL LOOSE [sic] YOUR RIGHT TO CARRY ANYWHERE AS THE RESULT OF BRINGING A GUN TO ANY OF THESE STATES...
I think if you CC into MD, losing your CPL will be the least of your problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts