Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carry philosophy is: Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub/LCP rather than a Glock 19/23 (or 1911) and I carry accordingly.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I never got this either. Are the criminals weaker, smaller, or more polite in "good" neighborhoods? If an area is so bad I need to "gun up", maybe I shouldn't be going there?

Same with "summer carry". Some people just like having more options to conceal under winter clothing. They get to broaden the rotation. Others think they can only conceal X size gun in the summer, but in the winter, they can carry something more effective. Friend, just carry something effective. People have even said they want something that will penetrate winter clothing. Friend, if your cartridge won't penetrate a winter jacket, you have some reconsidering to do.

The one exception I see to this is environments where staying concealed is priority.
Compact 9mm, .40, .45 any time, any where, any season is a pretty good ballpark.

·
Premium Member
33,780 Posts
I occasionally have to carry "less" in extreme non-permissive environments, but never as a routine matter of simple convenience or ease.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
My general rule is the same a CDW4ME. My carry gun is predicated on the philosophy of "Is this the gun I want with my should I get into a gunfight?" This has been gained from seeing the results of gunfights in real life.

Now, that being said there are exceptions to every rule. The NPE provides significant challenges based upon the penalty for being caught, legal, job loss etc. My rule is to carry a gun everywhere it is legal. my NPE gun is a J frame 357 magnum, yours may vary.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My carry philosophy is: Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub/LCP rather than a Glock 19/23 (or 1911) and I carry accordingly.
Good for you! Thanks for letting us know carry on.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Everyone should carry what they feel comfortable with.

That said, what if there are two bad guys? Or three? I think many in the firearms community are counting on the odds that an attack will be over at 3 yards, with 3 rounds, in 3 seconds. Me, I want the odds stacked in my favor. I carry my P229 daily, summer and winter. Even in a non-permissive environment, I will be carrying my Sig P365 with a 10 round magazine and a 15 round spare. But that's just me....

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Define “ less” as suggested by the thread title.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
What is a "good" area? .
This; is a good area.
282603C4-DB6A-4C3E-8696-967FF416642B.jpeg

And if as much attention and effort was put in to choosing a “ good area” to live in the first place, fixation on firepower would be much less relevant.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If I felt I needed to carry more because it was a bad area I would probably not go there. I spend most of my time in good areas. Funny thing most of the time if I am in what I might consider a bad area I am not allowed to carry because it is in a state that is not reciprocal.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
When on my bike, I carry one less mag because my vest only holds one spare mag. On my Level 2, active threat, I carried 2 additional mags. "Good" areas are the areas thieves target because your stuff is probably worth more than the stuff in the bad areas and the people less vigilant.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
This; is a good area.
View attachment 326138

And if as much attention and effort was put in to choosing a “ good area” to live in the first place, fixation on firepower would be much less relevant.
I agree that does look like a good area. I agree about choosing to live in a good area. Still should carry but chances of you having to use it is far less. I carry more because of 4 legged critters domestic and wild and not 2 legged ones.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
When on my bike, I carry one less mag because my vest only holds one spare mag. On my Level 2, active threat, I carried 2 additional mags. "Good" areas are the areas thieves target because your stuff is probably worth more than the stuff in the bad areas and the people less vigilant.
We live in a "good area." Most people in our neighborhood don't lock their doors or keep lights on at night. We do.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Everytime I leave the house I carry. I carry at work where they would rather I not. I've carried places I won't discuss here. That said in many of these places particularly at work, I carry a small pocket 380 or a .38 snub. I carry more as dress and circumstances allow.

Mr. Murphy will eventually succeed in killing every single one of us. To put that off as long as possible we need to plan for threats we are most vulnerable to. I can only speak for myself but I'm at a point in my life where I'm realizing putting that energy towards things like diet, and exercise might prolong my longevity more than spending every waking hour trying to plan for multiple assailant gun battles at the grocery store.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
This again? :deadhorse: :tired:

This is the gun community equivalent of virtue signaling, with a healthy dose of arrogance and condescension.

Tell you what...many of us deal with non permissive environments daily, whether at work, or in social situations. Maybe it’s better to just carry what you carry in such situations ALL the time, and practice hard with that, and get really good with it? Maybe that’s better than carrying a smaller gun here, and a larger one there? Consistency has certain advantages, IMHO.

As a society, I have long believed that we would all be better off if every law abiding citizen just carried something that worked for their lifestyle, without having to make changes to their wardrobe, etc. Instead, the “full size fighting pistol” (sic) crowd, backed up by the armchair caliber commandos and gun store ninjas turn it into an “all or nothing” false choice...with many ending up carrying nothing after the initial enthusiasm wanes under the strain of carrying several pounds of stuff concealed daily.

And by the way, gunfights are for rifles and shotguns, preferably backed up with similarly armed friends. We only carry sidearms for convenience and legal reasons. Where we draw the line is a personal decision, and our community should do a better job of supporting each other, rather than puffing up our chests and proclaiming how big our damn gun is.

:banghead:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
This again? :deadhorse: :tired:

This is the gun community equivalent of virtue signaling, with a healthy dose of arrogance and condescension.

Tell you what...many of us deal with non permissive environments daily, whether at work, or in social situations. Maybe it’s better to just carry what you carry in such situations ALL the time, and practice hard with that, and get really good with it? Maybe that’s better than carrying a smaller gun here, and a larger one there? Consistency has certain advantages, IMHO.

As a society, I have long believed that we would all be better off if every law abiding citizen just carried something that worked for their lifestyle, without having to make changes to their wardrobe, etc. Instead, the “full size fighting pistol” (sic) crowd, backed up by the armchair caliber commandos and gun store ninjas turn it into an “all or nothing” false choice...with many ending up carrying nothing after the initial enthusiasm wanes under the strain of carrying several pounds of stuff concealed daily.

And by the way, gunfights are for rifles and shotguns, preferably backed up with similarly armed friends. We only carry sidearms for convenience and legal reasons. Where we draw the line is a personal decision, and our community should do a better job of supporting each other, rather than puffing up our chests and proclaiming how big our damn gun is.

:banghead:
What it amounts to, is a false dichotomy that is propped up with anecdotes and a false sense of security that lends itself well to a certain type of personality absorption.

I believe the reality is that it has an adverse affect on the principle of self defense with a firearm, and retards the out of the box approach to the subject that promotes new ideas and training which, benefit the community at large.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts