Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
33,984 Posts
We should never take things personal...
I don't take anything posted here personal. It's just too easy to reach for an eraser.

If I am headed into know Indian country, I'll opt for my Glock 30 . . . unless I don't feel like getting it out of the safe. Then my 6906 will do fine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Boy, do I get a kick out of these discussions and back-and-forth repartee. And, I noticed Bad Bob has a new avatar, either of him guarding the nukes in Germany or waiting for the illegals down (or up) on the border. Suweet, Bad Bob. Still hope we get to shoot together this summer; I always learn something of value from my 'Main Man'.

I'm here to end the debate. Just watch this blast from the past with the wisdom that only Archie Bunker can bring to any sensitive subject...

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Training. Training, training, training, training, training!!!

You’d think by the discussions of late that the firearm is the only part of the equation.

C’mon guys, this is Defensive Carry, not Mall Ninjas r’us...

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
You posted yours, so I posted mine. How is that sad or triggering? You started the thread -- was it only for those that have your philosophy, or could some respectfully not agree completely and discuss? :confused:
Did I direct that toward you? Don't think so.
You disagree with me, got it.

Procedure for handling irritating trolls who want attention. Deny them what they want.
Click on their screen name>Choose "View Profile">Click on "Ignore Posts">Click "Yes" on the page that opens
Done, easy peasy.

Anyone who feels that way about me, click on my screen name and do the same. Suits me fine.
Ignoring would be better than the replies you have posted in this thread.

Before today, I have only ignored one other person in my years here, although I rescinded that one a few weeks later. Not sure if that guy is still here or not.

I have only had one person say they put me on ignore, but obviously he lifted that because we have exchanged posts since. Neither action diminished my experience here at all. I don't agree with everyone here and I don't expect people to agree with me, but most folks here are really nice and respectful, even in heated arguments.
Two sentences in the start of this thread, directed toward nobody, just posted what I think / do.
Read back over your replies to those two sentences and ponder whether you would include them in "nice and respectful".

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I won't get drawn into one of these frivolous arguments. Nope, nope, nope, nope.....

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
And by the way, gunfights are for rifles and shotguns, preferably backed up with similarly armed friends. We only carry sidearms for convenience and legal reasons. Where we draw the line is a personal decision, and our community should do a better job of supporting each other, rather than puffing up our chests and proclaiming how big our damn gun is.

:banghead:
No, gunfights are any fight where someone brings a gun. If you went to Walmart with a squad of Marines there would probably be less drama but the cost of crayons would kill you.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
@jmf552 "I would turn the argument around. What reasonable person would not carry "more" if they knew they were going into a really "bad" area, an area that was a lot worse than where they normally go? No matter what I normally carry, if I had to go into "the 'hood" in the middle of the night, I would carry an extra gun."

I try to be reasonable. This morning I was forced to go to the nearest "big town" to get a new coffee maker at WalMart and carried my Commander. This afternoon I drove a block down to my village ballfield and walking track (half-block from the police station) to throw ball for my dog. I stuck my .380 (loaded with quality "modern" SD ammo) in my front pocket. I figure it's pretty reasonable to assume that I don't really need to carry "heavy" for that.
2019 crime stats in my village --
-Aggravated Assault 1 (domestic situation)
-Arson 0
-Burglary 9
-Larceny and Theft 20
-Motor Vehicle Theft 0
-Murder and Manslaughter 0
-Rape 0
-Robbery 0
You claim to be a combat vet and do not respect Mr Murphy? How perplexing.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
You claim to be a combat vet and do not respect Mr Murphy? How perplexing.:rofl:
Of course I respect Mr. Murphy. Civilian life, however, has been laughably safe for me since my tour in Vietnam (yes, I "claim" to have been there, thanks). I've only been hit by a train and struck by lightning. :smile: Know what? That hasn't compelled me to feel threatened by hordes of imaginary "Bad Guys" all the time here in this little town. As I said, I try to be reasonable. You? YMMV.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Training. Training, training, training, training, training!!!

You’d think by the discussions of late that the firearm is the only part of the equation.

C’mon guys, this is Defensive Carry, not Mall Ninjas r’us...
Bingo. Best comment yet.

As one who survived two years in Vietnam and an ambush situation as a police officer, I am still walking and talking thanks to my training in both the Army, and law enforcement, including SWAT.

Different weapons were used in Vietnam and in my Police career, from an M-16 and a beat up WWII dated 1911, to a S&W Model 66 .357 revolver. It wasn’t what weapon or caliber I was using at the time, it was the training and instant reaction exactly as I was trained to do, that kept me alive.

No matter what model of gun and/or what caliber you favor, training, total familiarization with your weapon, and shot placement will be the key factors that help you go home to your family.

To the mall ninja and Rambo types, I will just say this.... taking another’s life in defense of your own life or someone else’s is a heavy responsibility. If you are ever faced with that, I hope that you are prepared to deal with it, and the aftermath. It’s not like in the movies, it gets real in a big hurry. Even as a police officer in a shooting that investigators from three agencies (including the Texas Rangers and FBI) ruled as ‘justified’, all it takes is one member of a grand jury that hates cops and guns, or an anti-gun reporter looking to make a name for himself, to change your life forever.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
People who have actually experienced combat will tell you that it affects in different ways, depending on a lot of psychological mechanisms that are unique to each person and experience.

For myself, I always felt like everything I did after that was a joke. The street experience just did not cause me any great deal of alarm or concern.

Mr Murphy? I said screw you a long time ago. What’s going to happen is going to happen.

Others though, may have had experiences that triggered them in another direction; hyper awareness, or even constant paranoia that is debilitating.

Everyone is different, and you have to have been there to really comprehend that.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts