Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
People who have actually experienced combat will tell you that it affects in different ways, depending on a lot of psychological mechanisms that are unique to each person and experience.

For myself, I always felt like everything I did after that was a joke. The street experience just did not cause me any great deal of alarm or concern.
Your street experience must have been pretty sedate. Where I worked for many years I was in pursuits almost nightly, shot at frequently, in fights almost daily, running from robbery to shooting, to stabbing 12-15 times a shift.

Mr Murphy? I said screw you a long time ago. What’s going to happen is going to happen.
The whole point of the Murphy reference was to never assume, violent attacks happen regardless of statistics.

Others though, may have had experiences that triggered them in another direction; hyper awareness, or even constant paranoia that is debilitating.

Everyone is different, and you have to have been there to really comprehend that.
You are right, no one else has ever been there.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts

Your street experience must have been pretty sedate. Where I worked for many years I was in pursuits almost nightly, shot at frequently, in fights almost daily, running from robbery to shooting, to stabbing 12-15 times a shift.
Bu...but;

D52F207D-9D84-43EB-83A2-E867F83D5088.jpeg :wink:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Bad things can happen anywhere. If you don't have it with you, you can't S*** it.

Lemme see, get some context here, I was responding to:
"If i feel i may need more for a certain area...Then that would be on me for being dumb enough
to go there in the first place."

I responded with:
"Sometimes people have to go someplace they don't really like having to go to but have little choice in the matter."

Sometimes situations arise such as a business dealing, which will take you to or through a part of town which is not considered good. I arm-up for those trips, I never said anything about disarming. Up-arming for me is carrying 2 or 3 sidearms rather than the usual one. Go with none? Not if I have a choice.

·
Registered
33,983 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Defense Reutilization Marketing Office. Buy surplus from the GOV.
I know its off topic, but if you are ever suckered (uh, ummm, I mean convinced) to buy a used military vehicle, you'd better buy 3.....that way you can cannibalize two and keep one running.........

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
What is a "good" area? There just isn't much worth the risk of getting caught from stealing in a poor neighborhood. Criminals head to the finer parts of town to make their efforts worth while.
We live in a "good area." Most people in our neighborhood don't lock their doors or keep lights on at night. We do.
Bad guys go to good areas when good people are gone to get more good stuff - usually during the day.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I am pretty particular with my primary carry guns. Their trigger pull weights must all be within a few ounces of each other and of very similar feel. My ability to pull those guns from a belt holster and get on target quickly has to be very much the same with all of them. And their general weight and feel needs to be very close to one another. These are very important criteria with me as I am not at all fond of having one gun feel and operate one way and another one be quite a bit different. Two excellent examples of this would be having a Glock or an M&P in my primary stable along with a Beretta 92 or a CZ 75B. Going from a striker fired DAO pistol to a hammer fired DA pistol is not my cup of tea. And having one gun with a five pound trigger while another one comes in at nine pounds is sheer lunacy to me.

That said, I am a firm believer in carrying the gun, or guns, that work(s) best for you in all areas. Weight, size, power, practical accuracy, and above everything, reliability.

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
People who have actually experienced combat will tell you that it affects in different ways, depending on a lot of psychological mechanisms that are unique to each person and experience.

For myself, I always felt like everything I did after that was a joke. The street experience just did not cause me any great deal of alarm or concern.

Mr Murphy? I said screw you a long time ago. What’s going to happen is going to happen.

Others though, may have had experiences that triggered them in another direction; hyper awareness, or even constant paranoia that is debilitating.

Everyone is different, and you have to have been there to really comprehend that.
Well said.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Damn boy! Where did you work at? Mogadishu?:rofl:

No, I never got a Combat Action Award with a star for my street work. Pretty mundane around here in Kentucky, as you say.
You know, crime doesn’t happen in smaller cities, right?

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Well, I’m running errands in town today to pick up feed and fence posts.

Only packing 5 shot j frame. Oh the horrors that may befall me!!
If you don’t hear back from me, then you will know I didn’t take enough gun! ( or, didn’t get a chance to use it):rofl:

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Damn boy! Where did you work at? Mogadishu?:rofl:

No, I never got a Combat Action Award with a star for my street work. Pretty mundane around here in Kentucky, as you say.
You know, crime doesn’t happen in smaller cities, right?
Ft Worth, TX and El Paso, Tx. Ft Worth I mostly worked in the Ghetto. The Border Patrol it was mostly smugglers shooting at us. Cops are statistically as likely to be killed in a small town as a big city, however, many more get killed in the city because there are many more there. I used to laugh when people said that most cops would go a career with drawing their gun on someone, I could not go a shift without drawing on an armed subject. Right before I went to the BP I had a rookie ask how I had the highest felony arrest rate and the highest stolen vehicle recovery rate in the city. I was unaware that one could see the stats and laughed. I told him, "Look at my beat. Everyone walking around has warrants". They travel, steal cars and bring them home to strip. Used to answer domestics, walk in and there would be 20 sets of tires/wheels stacked around the house.

Working in East San Diego county I was detailed there to set up the new checkpoint on the interstate at Pine Valley, CA. It was like the old west, smugglers running, shooting at us every night.

My military service was rather mundane compared to what I did after I got out, and I was an MP constantly in crap.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Well, I’m running errands in town today to pick up feed and fence posts.

Only packing 5 shot j frame. Oh the horrors that may befall me!!
If you don’t hear back from me, then you will know I didn’t take enough gun! ( or, didn’t get a chance to use it):rofl:
Or nothing really happens in Mayberry RFD.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
I know its off topic, but if you are ever suckered (uh, ummm, I mean convinced) to buy a used military vehicle, you'd better buy 3.....that way you can cannibalize two and keep one running.........
I used to laugh when people bought used BP trucks thinking they were getting a deal. To be honest he did ask where to get a used MRAP.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I carry everywhere possible: stores, movies and with friends and family, and all the "good" places. I pray that I will never have to use deadly force but I pray harder to never be in a dangerous situation where I am unarmed!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I never got this either. Are the criminals weaker, smaller, or more polite in "good" neighborhoods? If an area is so bad I need to "gun up", maybe I shouldn't be going there?

Same with "summer carry". Some people just like having more options to conceal under winter clothing. They get to broaden the rotation. Others think they can only conceal X size gun in the summer, but in the winter, they can carry something more effective. Friend, just carry something effective. People have even said they want something that will penetrate winter clothing. Friend, if your cartridge won't penetrate a winter jacket, you have some reconsidering to do.

The one exception I see to this is environments where staying concealed is priority.
Compact 9mm, .40, .45 any time, any where, any season is a pretty good ballpark.
Agree. :wave:
Yea, an anemic easily deterred solo threat anticipated in the "good" area. :rolleyes:

Summer carry, its not hard to conceal a Glock 19/23 size pistol (for me) but I am wearing a loose untucked shirt.

Some pick a little pocket gun selected for a trip to the store, in a "good" area (of course) when something bigger could be carried, but that takes more effort.
Its doubtful that little pocket gun would be 1st pick if they thought using it was a remote possibility.
Well, of course they don't expect to use it, its for "just in case" .... just in case somebody(s) tries to kill them.
"Just in case" is enough of a concern to merit carrying something (minimal), but not what they would carry if the anticipated threat was greater.

Anticipated threat is low (in a "good" place) because the "bad" people are immobile and mostly nocturnal and not likely to leave their designated area. :rolleyes:
If the "bad" people had even the slightest remote chance of showing up at the store in the "good" area, that might merit carrying something more substantial.
Nope that aint gonna happen, especially in the daylight, but if it (somebody(s) try to kill them) does a little pocket gun will do. :wink:

In before ... QUOTE "CDW4ME, anticipated threat is a real thing, ect .. You are WRONG" :mad: ect, ect.... /QUOTE LOL

Yea, I get anticipated threat. :image035:
I anticipate that if I have to defend myself against threat(s), regardless of location, I want a Glock 19/23 in hand not a little pocket gun. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Reactions: LimaCharlie
121 - 140 of 153 Posts