• I carry bullets Facing Backward

Votes: 34 25.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people are trained to carry additional mags so the the bullets face forward. It seems to me that when bullets face backward the body mechanics are less awkward to reload. The natural arc of your arm will put the mag into correct position after every inverted draw. We all know the importance of keeping body mechanics consistent every time, but what are everyones opinions to support either method.

Bullets Facing Forward or Facing Backward?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Bullets facing rear. Then I don't have to flip my hand over. I clear the carrier than roll the mag into the well. Twice as fast for me and easier under stress.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Bullets facing forward, and all facing the same direction. I like the consistency. I don't have to think about positioning my hand a certain way to grab the mag. On the IPSC rig I shoot single stack division with, I have six mag pouches running along my belt and all of the magazines face in the same direction. I don't have to think, just react consistently.

My bias, my .02 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backwards... Up, Rotate, In, Done....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Another for rear-ward,.. I have a friend that told me I was all messed up and couldn't possibly reload with any speed or accuracy... Well after he watched a few times doing it eyes closed, he said,.. "WOW, I guess that works for you"...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Forward.

Completely natural to me with no wasted movement. Draw, rotate up and insert.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Forward, so you can put your index finger on the front of the bullet to assist in guiding the mag to the opening - that's the way I was taught.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Weak side mag carrier, bullets face backwards. No need to rotate the magazine when the SHTF. I shoot all IPSC matches with bullets pointed behind me.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
On the street, or at the matches.............. bullets forward.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Forward, so you can put your index finger on the front of the bullet to assist in guiding the mag to the opening - that's the way I was taught.
Exactly, +1index finger along the front of the magazine.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Upside down for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly, +1index finger along the front of the magazine.
+1 This is the way I was also taught. When you have your mags on your weak side and drop your hand to your side your index finger is forward, which goes on the front of the mag to guide it up and into the magazine well, so bullets forward, but if my mags are on my strong side the bullets will be backward, because when you reach across your bodyyour index finger points back, so you want the front side of the mag facing backwards the same as your index finger.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I was shown bullets forward, but practice both ways. When I can afford to start shooting again, I'll time my reloads; whichever way is consistently faster and has less fumbling will get the nod.

-B

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Bullets facing forward on weak side...smooth transition from pouch to firearm.
When I pull the mag from the pouch, I can see the face of my watch and the front of the bullet.:yup:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bullets facing forward on weak side...smooth transition from pouch to firearm.
When I pull the mag from the pouch, I can see the face of my watch and the front of the bullet.:yup:
I don't understand this,.. If bullets are facing down, and your weakside mounded,.. (with forward facing bullets) it would appear you would have to rotate the mag (twist your wrist?) Is that how you insert the mag? Just trying to get a idea on how it is done that way..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bullets forward involves a wrist rotation.

Facing backwards, I still grab the mag with my index finger in front to guide it in. It's almost like drawing a knife out of a shealth on my weak side and thrusting it into position.

I will have to practice in the mirror again tonight after work to see if it worth conforming to the forward facing crowd.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Bullets forward. Less wrist movement and as easy as pointing your finger.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts