Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to point out that the following scenario could actually happen anywhere, but a college campus is my choice for the discussion, due to the extremely leftist and anti-gun policies of most of them.

Anyway, let's say that a student is carrying illegally on this very liberal, anti-gun campus. This student is an otherwise very upright kid who has never been in trouble and usually makes the honor roll. He's just concerned for his safety because there have been threats against him and others.

So then some crazy decides to do a copycat of the Virginia Tech shooter. The crazy has already dropped several people when he corners a pretty large group, let's say 20+ people. They're screaming and panicking and can't go anywhere, but the carrying student is in the group.

So now our hero takes the only logical action; he draws and kills the shooter.

What will most likely be his fate? Looking at the overall situation, I'll further define it:

The student is an upright, solid citizen except for the fact that he's carrying illegally.

The student is too young for a concealed carry permit in his state which, of course, wouldn't be valid on campus anyway.

He shot the perp in front of 19 witnesses in broad daylight.

The intentions of the crazy were very clearly established, since he had already murdered several people. This was very clear cut.

So he has 19 other students whose loved ones are very grateful to him.

So what do you think? Does he go to jail? Is he kicked out of school? If either happens, what will be the response of the families of the students whose lives he saved? How serious will his newly established criminal record be?

Discuss!

:wave:

·
Administrator
21,348 Posts
What if grasshoppers had machine guns?

Any of the above could happen.

When you're breaking the law and get caught / outed, regardless of circumstance, the odds are that you will be arrested and charged, what happens @ trial is dependent on too many factors to even list.

How serious will his newly established criminal record be?
Very.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
He is already doing something illegal, he will be charges and arrested for that activity. He will need an expensive lawyer.
Personally, I'd give him a pat on the back and some extra ammo...but I doubt that the DA would do the same.
In the end, public pressure will probably be on his side, I'd bet he 'skates', but what he wins in court he'll lose in his bank account.:frown:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd say it depends on how the event is spun by the media and local authorities. In some regions the guy would be hailed as a hero, in other regions he would be arrested and charged. If that were to happen, he would immediately need to hire a lawyer/spokesperson to spin the story to his advantage (i.e. get family members of would-be victims on television to show the undying gratitute, etc.). This would put at least some pressure on the local authorities not to pursue charges.

So much these days depends on *perception* rather than reality.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go to college in a state that allows students and faculty to carry, Idaho is very nice.

Join SCCC and hold meetings and invite the student newspaper reporter.

Discuss the Tueller Drill, it works in reverse too. A dozen unarmed students face a lone crazed gunman. The students charge en mass and overwhelm the killer. Some may get shot, but he can't take his time and kill you all. 21 feet and get the jocks and vets "enlisted" while you hold the SCCC meetings.

Get the parents to withhold alumni funds and season ticket purchases as long as the law is stupid.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Naturally, there are a bazillion possible factors at play here. The students he saved could include the Dean's daughter, the Mayor's son, and the Police Chief's nephew.

I guess you never know. Sorry if this scenario was too ambiguous.

:redface:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
He has a right to self-defense and won’t be arrested for shooting the killer. He will be arrested for carrying a concealed gun illegally. He will be expelled for carrying a gun on campus against school rules. While the families of the students he saved will be grateful, or at least should be, all of the above will still happen.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I believe Havegunjoe,has it right,you won't be charged with killing him,but every other illegal thing you did up to that point will get you charges

·
Registered
669 Posts
With today's political climate, the DA will cave in depending on the state. In MN, in the event that deadly force is used to prevent or stop a felony, the one using DF is immune to criminal or civil charges resulting from the incident. Though the school, will definately throw the hero out. With a good lawyer who is well versed in education law, or a good amount of media coverage on Fox, he'll get back in and get alot hot freshman tail.:danceban:

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
The kids' loved ones will actually not be grateful at all; they'll very publically state how "much worse it could've been with a shootout! Someone might've gotten hurt!" while hugging their living and unharmed children.

Meanwhile, had their children been cut down unopposed, they'd be screaming to ban guns.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now let's add another twist to this.....

In Tennessee, state law says that if a person is illegally carrying a weapon with the "intent to go armed," yet that person uses that weapon in justifiable self defense, then it becomes legal that he was carrying.

No, I'm not kidding. Read that again.

But really, it makes sense. I mean, if the weapon was actually used in justifiable self defense, that's hard to argue with.

Of course, the school's policies would still burn him.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think two lefts don't make right.

No amount of "good samaritan" and previous "good behavior" will be balanced against the fact that the student was carrying an *illegal* weapon (making them, depending on the jurisdiction, a felon).

Don't do this at home, kids.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
As others have previously mentioned some or all of the following may occur:

Yes - Very likely would be arrested/charged for illegally carrying a firearm onto school campus
Yes - Very likely would be charged for shooting/killing the BG
Yes - The student would face being expelled from school
Yes - Family of the students who were saved would be very grateful for this students lifesaving act
Yes - Would very likely have a very serious felony criminal record the rest of his life

Additionally, the way the story is reported in the local media outlets would have an impact on the interpretation the public would view this shooting incident as well.

Here is a case of both scenarios:

Case 1- If the local media outlets report this as a case of a "student saving his fellow students lives" perspective the public would most likely support the student actions
Case 2 - If the local media outlets report this as a case of "vigilante justice" and the student was a "gun nut" would make the public (and potential jury members) very distrustful of this students motives

Another aspect to be considered is if this occurred during an election year. At least one "anti-gun" district attorney has made his career on a case like this in the past to get reelected prosecuting this type case.

In my humble opinion!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, you never know, but in Alabama he would be elected Governor I would think. I am not kidding. I sometimes wonder how some guys live in some of these places they describe in their postings.
God Bless

·
Registered
231 Posts
Go to college in a state that allows students and faculty to carry, Idaho is very nice.

Join SCCC and hold meetings and invite the student newspaper reporter.

Discuss the Tueller Drill, it works in reverse too. A dozen unarmed students face a lone crazed gunman. The students charge en mass and overwhelm the killer. Some may get shot, but he can't take his time and kill you all. 21 feet and get the jocks and vets "enlisted" while you hold the SCCC meetings.

Get the parents to withhold alumni funds and season ticket purchases as long as the law is stupid.
not really... at least not everywhere. here is one from the ISU webpage. "No student shall be permitted to carry firearms or other weapons, concealed or not concealed, with or without a concealed weapon permit, while upon properties owned or controlled by the university without permission from the Director of Public Safety."

Firearms Storage Policy | ISU Department of Public Safety | Idaho State University

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Depends, I guess.

Maybe I'm less cynical, but I bet even if this hypothetical student was charged with anything, they'd be no-billed by any sane grand jury.

Might get thrown out of school, but public uproar would probably get him back with a relatively minor fight.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i predict national hero status due to the history of mass school shootings and his ability to save many lives with his actions...its hard to play down what he does in this case...

no arrest for killing the shooter...

arrest for illegally carrying a firearm on campus...but receiving a minimal penalty because he thwarted multiple killings...a penalty must be levied to reinforce that a crime was committed regardless of it ending well...

a well publicized beer with obama where the kid is told that if gun control was allowed to be implemented the way he wants it that he wouldnt hav had to go through all this trouble...the kid tries to explain the gun owners side of the story but is left alone in a room with pelosi as punishment for even trying...he considers suicide but realizes even then she probably wouldnt get the point...

countless civil suits against him from parents of students who are permanently scarred for having to watch him kill another human being in front of them...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Now let's add another twist to this.....

In Tennessee, state law says that if a person is illegally carrying a weapon with the "intent to go armed," yet that person uses that weapon in justifiable self defense, then it becomes legal that he was carrying.

No, I'm not kidding. Read that again.

But really, it makes sense. I mean, if the weapon was actually used in justifiable self defense, that's hard to argue with.

Of course, the school's policies would still burn him.
hat's called a safe harbor law, several states have that law. Indiana I believe has that law. Here in Colorado it is not illegal, just against school policy. He would be expelled and the public out cry would make the board change their decision.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts