Defensive Carry banner

Carrying on the Bike Trail

7K views 54 replies 44 participants last post by  connsolo 
#1 ·
If this thread already exists, I apologize for creating a new one, but;

I'm putting on some loose fitting attire appropriate for riding my bicycle on the local trail and realize there's no possible way to carry concealed my everyday firearm, or, really any firearm for that matter. So, I leave it at home and proceed with exercising my fat self. But, I'm not comfortable with out it and am looking for a way to bring it along. It seems carrying it on your person is the only way to go (if you can figure out a good way to do it) because if you stop along the ride, you can't leave it in a bag on your bike, and it's probably not wise to transfer it from bag to.... what, some kind of holster, pocket, etc. in the midst of other riders. I just dunno. Any ideas or input??

#51 ·
I don't think the OP wants to OC SS. I'd say a shoulder rig under a loose shirt mostly unbuttoned or unzipped.

#7 ·
Cargo shorts and front pocket carry in pocket holster.

I don't dress in Lance Armstrong attire when biking, so ain't gotta clue what to do when you are wearing one of those biking body leotard things.

#14 ·
A different type of holster (such as a belly-band or similar) might be an appropriate choice.

A fanny pack or other similar "bag" type thing (ie, a close-fitting, slim messenger bag) might also work for you.

If you can't see a way to carry the firearm in any manner, consider knife + pepper spray + baton (which you can store on your bike much like you do the pump).

#15 ·
Despite the disparaging comments regarding biking attire, they are very functional. You can buy a cycling jersey that is relatively loose fitting. The benefit of having a dedicated cycling jersey is that there are typically pockets on the lower back that can handle a good amount of gear. I would think a small 9mm or .380 in a pocket holster would fit quite nicely. It might be a bit awkward to draw, but I can't imagine it would be any harder from a bike than a fanny pack or cargo shorts.

When I'm riding the mountain bike, I normally wear an hydration pack of some sort which also carries a small pump, multi-tool, and tube/patch kit. I think I will be able to find space for my Kahr CM9 in there as well. Again, accessibility isn't the best, but out in the woods it shouldn't be as big an issue. I guess if I really needed to, I could figure out an open carry solution there.

#17 ·
What about a sling type bag such as the Maxpedition Gear Slinger? It would not draw attention due to it looking like a hydration pack. I have the Maxpedition shoulder bag w/ holster that I use for hiking & fishing. It works very well and is very sturdy!

#18 ·
SOB/IWB holster, fanny pack, pocket carry...

If I go to the gym, I leave the Glock locked in the car and take my P-3AT in a SOB/IWB holster (worn off the spine @ 5:30).
My workouts deal mostly with light weight, and bike-riding to strengthen my new hip.

Reactions: Manderinobyebye
#28 ·
I'm liking this idea. Anyone have one? I carry IWB when riding on the road, but fear that when riding in the rough stuff. I crash hard, and often. I fear breaking my gun and my ass that way. This seems much better for trail riding.

Any personal experience using this? I like the idea of the vanguard as well. Those are great little prices of hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#26 ·
I carry on my bicycle exactly the same as I carry everywhere else-IWB at 3:00 in either a Brommeland Max-Con V when carrying my Glock 19 or a Midworld Ohio Special when carrying anything else. No problems with comfort or concealment whatsoever.

#27 ·
This is one application where even the strictest member of the fashion police can't criticize the fanny pack! And it doesn't look at all out of place if you're biking, especially if you're wearing the typical spandex sausage casing that passes for bike clothes.

Reactions: LM2024
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.