Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me last few times I went to stores, that where possible I always almost unconsciously - carry bags in my weak hand.

Seems logical in as much as - were there to be a sudden need to access the piece - the right hand is free. Arguably our yellow state and spidey sense would give enough warning for a change of hands but - struck me as a useful consideration.

I even carry my coffee mug left handed when to and from the house to office :smile: Habit I guess.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Tool bagRight hand Computer left shoulder when at work can swing that 8lb puter pretty good..

With handgun same stuff always try to keep left hand free only thing i will carry in it is car keys

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
same , only the opposite as I am left handed.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm - lefties eh - well - weak hand (goods carry) then - leaving strong available! :wink:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The miltree taught me this mode. Right hand stays empty if at all possible. Unless I'm carrying left handed, then the left hand stays empty. :biggrin:

-Scott-

·
Registered
271 Posts
learned that in the police academy. If our training officer caught one of us carrying something in our gun hand, severe penalties resulted.
Good habit to have, though....IMO

·
Registered
950 Posts
Military drove that in me. So my right hand is always free unless I am getting groceries out the car then if need be they will be discarded for whatever, I needed to do.

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
OK, I do that too, but when you and your wife, or girlfriend as the case maybe, come to a door, who goes through first?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also try to keep my right hand clear. If both hands are full I find myself switching things I am carrying around so I can drop the right hand object(s) in a hurry if needed. The longer I carry the more I find that I do the "little things" more and more without thinking about them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My rule: if carrying, strong hand stays free. If unable to carry for some reason, strong hand stays empty, unless what I'm carrying would make a good improvised defensive tool, such as leaving the hardware store with a new hammer. :wink:

I also practice "dropping things" from time to time when doing my dry-fire routine (start with a magazine - the printed kind - in hand). I'm trying to avoid the habit of setting something down as opposed to just letting go of it when time is critical.

SSKC

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but when you and your wife, or girlfriend as the case maybe, come to a door, who goes through first?
I generally Ron let wife go ahead of me - that is partly an old style ''gentleman'' thing plus scanning the scene behind as we progress.

Exception tho would be if feeling a need to scan and assess ahead of us - in that case I will lead. All the time my priority is protection of wife, even if she is carrying at the time - it is my duty let's say as I see it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Left stays empty unless I have too much stuff to fit in one hand. There's never anything too valuable that you can't drop it to save your hide.
As far as being the first through the door, I am usually, but I have to say that my SO and I don't hang out in places that would generally be prone to trouble. Our days hanging out at the bars are long past. Condition yellow and a little common sense is generally enough.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I leave one hand empty if at all possible, even if it means two trips or making the old lady carry more stuff.

She understands why and doesn't complain one bit.

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
P95Carry said:
I generally Ron let wife go ahead of me - that is partly an old style ''gentleman'' thing plus scanning the scene behind as we progress.

Exception tho would be if feeling a need to scan and assess ahead of us - in that case I will lead. All the time my priority is protection of wife, even if she is carrying at the time - it is my duty let's say as I see it.
Yep, me too. If it's completely unknown to me, I go first and then hold the door for her after I see what we're walking into.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yep.

Strong gun hand stays free.

Course BUG on weak side and knowing how to comes in handy.

I don't need a cane , sometimes I use one. Neat part is when the groceries are carried out for me. Now I got the options to use the cane or either gun.

Chris - your 'old' - you can get by with this cane thingie. :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Good Training Makes for Good Habits!

P95Carry said:
I even carry my coffee mug left handed when to and from the house to office :smile: Habit I guess.
My IDPA Club runs matches with courses of fire very similar to this. Sometimes, we even have a BABY (life sized doll) scenario. On the sound of the buzzer, you have to solve the tactical problem while retreating to cover and protecting the child. Sometimes we have a shopping bag as part of the scenario. Once we had to start while wearing a barbeque mitt and holding a spatula. Lot's of movement, tactical reloads and firing on the move. I have video of a buddy of mine clearing this stage with a Class III Uzi. Pretty kewl.

This is the kind of practice that breeds good habits like yours. You have no choice but to breed good habits because B-A-D habits bring penalties and losses. Plus you look like a dolt in front of yer buddies. My other personal habit is to always sit in a restuarant where I can have my back to a wall and see all entrances and or exits.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
If I'm off-duty with a BUG, I usually have my left (weak) hand in my pocket on gripping the BUG....on-duty or not carrying the BUG off-duty, my right (gun) hand free.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris - your 'old' - you can get by with this cane thingie.
Could well soon be an option Steve! :wink:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm a vet. Stuff goes in your left hand so the right is available to salute.
Problem for me is I'm a lefty.

AFS

1 - 20 of 43 Posts