Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to carry my spare mag in my front pocket without a nylon/leather cover?

Or will my body heat damage the ammo?

Looked for this question but couldn't find it...thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
The biggest problem is pocket lint getting in your magazine. In a tight spot it would be better than running dry in an altercation.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
OK? Yes. Advisable? No.

In addition to lint getting in there, there is the issue of - what position will the mag be in when you try to grab it?

You need something that will hold the mag in position, so when you go to grab it, it will be oriented properly, and consistently. You don't want it jangling around loose in your pocket.

Abetterholster makes a dual mag pocket wallet holster - holds two single stack mags. For double stack mags, things are a bit more of a challenge if you want it in your pocket. I use a Smartcarry, so I can carry a spare mag very easily - and it is always oriented properly.

·
Administrator
143,948 Posts
You can pull your pocket inside out & use one of those sticky lint rollers to de-lint your pocket. That takes care of the lint problem.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You can pull your pocket inside out & use one of those sticky lint rollers to de-lint your pocket. That takes care of the lint problem.
Wash and dry them with the pockets pull inside out as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, that's a smart idea!

I'm going to keep the mag in a pocket by itself - consequently, I'll have to keep my Blackberry, wallet and keys in my other pocket.

I don't want to have to fumble between my cell and the magazine. I've practiced it a few times, walking around, and I've been able to grab the mag in the same position. It's a doublestack.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do not put anything else in the pocket with the mag. Also, be aware of rounds possible dislodging for the mag.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was carrying my mag in my front pocket until one day I went to do some target shooting and got 2 rounds into that mag and had a failure to feed. The round was jammed one bullet diameter down in the mag. It never made it to the top to get grabbed by the slide. The mag got tore down and cleaned and a mag holder got ordered that day.

If I had to carry a mag in my pocket I would strip it down and clean every week at the longest.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Your body temp is about 98.6F, no that won't hurt the ammo. I would find a IWB single carrier and use that.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I know ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes but... for me, a magazine in my pocket isn't too tactically accessible. :wink:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Your body temp is about 98.6F, no that won't hurt the ammo. I would find a IWB single carrier and use that.
Ditto on that one, its been as hot as 128degrees over here and the heat didnt damage any of my ammo..

Dont worry about body heat, worry about mag position and pocket lint clogging up your mag.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think loose pocket carry is a good idea. Murphy's Law will always win in a gunfight. When the adrenaline dump hits, you'll be lucky to be able to grasp the magazine, let alone fumble it around in your hand to get in into position to get it in the gun. You will want it to be in the same place in the same orientation every time you reach for it.

If you want to test your gear, get everything on (gun and all mags empty, please!) and sprint 100 yards, then turn around and sprint in the opposite direction, draw your weapon and try to do a reload while running. This will approximate what it will be like in a fight. Reloading in a fight will not be like reloading at the range.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wear carpenter's jeans almost all the time. I keep the spare mag in the rule/tool pocket with pen and surefire. I was thinking of cutting out a piece of cloth from the leg of an old pair of the same jeans, and sewing it on on my left leg (the jeans) . . . perhaps bellows the top part of the pocket or make it 'v'cut and velcro a flap over the top for retention. Perhaps I'll make it a double wide! Perhaps a pen slot just to keep the more alert sheeple fooled.
[email protected]

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I carry a spare magazine in my back pocket weak side quite often.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I have done it on occasion, but normally use a mag holder. In the front pocket is usually a couple of extras for travel to 'Orlando' (the extra mag town).:yup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
of course the ultimate solution is to use a mag carrier of some type, depending on where you want to carry your spares
however, I've pocket carried my glock mags numerous time and have never had an issue with them
as for the lint/gunk.....clean your pockets as others have suggested, no biggie

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always carry a spare mag for my Glock 27 in my left front pocket. It rides alongside my wallet, which I also carry in that pocket. The wallet keeps the magazine indexed perfectly and consistently.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I've seen pocket mag holders before just can't remember where.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is it okay to carry my spare mag in my front pocket without a nylon/leather cover?

Or will my body heat damage the ammo?

Looked for this question but couldn't find it...thanks!
Just a little FYI. I went to a local Gun show last weekend. I decided to empty one mag and put it in the gun so I could keep my gun with me in the gun show. (They don't allow you to carry any loaded mags into the show, but let you buy lots of ammo once you get in there!) I thumbed the rounds out of the mag onto the floor of the trunk of my car and was shocked. There was an absolute PILE of lint that came out of the mag. I had been carrying a spare mag, loose in that pocket for several weeks and had neglected cleaning the spare mag. Needless to say I remedied the problem that very evening.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts