Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two horses and hence I horseback ride a lot. I'm looking for some ideas for holsters for my SW642.

I wondered if it would fall out or be too uncomfortable with a pocket holster? Right now I am thinking it's going to be some sort of OWB holster, but I'm concerned about it falling out. I don't really care if the gun is concealed or not using the holster. I aim to get my concealed permit soon anyway.

My primary reason of carry is stray dogs. My wife and I about got attacked a couple weeks ago. Luckily our horses are pretty good around guns but I'm going to have to do some training with blanks to make sure I don't get tossed into the next county if I have the unfortunate task of using it. I imagine I'll be getting off before it gets to that point but nonetheless walking home isn't fun.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd go with a good quality 'boned' or molded belt slide holster as you mention. Either a forward cant and wear it at the 4:00 position or a reverse cant (driving holster) and wear it at the 2:00 or 10:30 position. Either should be secure but you would be more aware of it's status if at the 2:00 or 10:30 position.

Wish I was in the position of worrying how to carry while riding. Did it a lot when I was younger. No horses now. :frown:

:wave:

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Blackhawk Serpa OWB. It has options of belt through or paddle. The paddle is adjustable for belt width and for cant. The index finger releases a locking lever, for lack of better terms, to allow a smooth draw. You can hang from your knees in a tree and the gun will not leave the holster, the holster won't leave your belt. My wife thinks that a gun isn't worth having if you can't match it w/one of these.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum. I would think a OWB holster would be much more comfortable for carrying while riding. If you need the gun before you can dismount, a pocket holster would be pretty hard to reach IMO. I have a Galco Combat Master OWB for my 642 and it is very secure, rides high enough to be comfortable when sitting. It also hides fairly easily under an untucked shirt.

Here's a pic from the Galco catalog:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd go with a good quality 'boned' or molded belt slide holster as you mention. Either a forward cant and wear it at the 4:00 position or a reverse cant (driving holster) and wear it at the 2:00 or 10:30 position. Either should be secure but you would be more aware of it's status if at the 2:00 or 10:30 position.

Wish I was in the position of worrying how to carry while riding. Did it a lot when I was younger. No horses now. :frown:

:wave:
+1. Think cowboys. In my experience I just don't like (personal preference) belt holster on my right (strong side) so go for a crossdraw. But then I was brainwashed by my Grandpa, a real honest to God Buckeroo. Boned is nice but I've seen a simple leather thong over the hammer secure a pistol on a bucking horse. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I agree, I would look at a nice OWB holster, that's what I wear when I ride my horses. You can get them with or without a retension strap from several makers. Welcome from another Mountaineer. :wave:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What about a shoulder holster? IMO that would be the easiest to get to while on horseback, and you said concealment isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I think that a pocket holster would be very uncomfortable. I don't ride horses, but I suspect a tightly molded and boned OWB would do well.

If you are concerned about retention, and have never tried a tight leather holster, the Blackhawk Serpa mentioned might be the ticket.
I have no experience with that holster, but those who use it seem to like it.

I don't even like to drive with a pocket holster, and would suspect that it would be worse on a horse.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I ride alot. You might consider a crossdraw holster. I like the idea of being able to draw with the strong or weak hand if you get in a mess. Carrying while riding opens up a whole new world of possiblities; some good, some bad.
I carry a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt while out in the woods and use an OWB crossdraw for all of them. If it is a holster used just for riding, a thumbbreak is not a bad idea.
YEP, you better make sure the horses will stand for gunfire. Reminds me of the time a man asked the horse trader if you could shoot off of this horse. Horse trader said;"Once".:image035:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks for all the replies.

As for the shoulder holster, I thought about them, but really don't like carrying anything above my waist while riding.

The more comments I get and the more I think it through, it sounds like a crossdraw OWB at around 10:00 may be the way to go.

I am going to look closer at the Blackhawk Serpa's. I think it's either that or a leather boned holster with a thumb break or strap. I'll let everyone know what I end up with and try to get a pic posted while mounted, since I haven't seen any (of course I haven't dug through all the threads on here). Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts